EA
Posted By
Earl Alexander
Aug 22, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The last couple days, when I open PSE 2.0, the vertical tool bar on the left side of screen is missing. Where did it go?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BG
Byron Gale
Aug 22, 2003
Earl,

Maybe it got closed by accident… try clicking Window -> Tools to see if that brings it back.

Byron
PD
Pete D
Aug 22, 2003
Earl,

Everyone seems to "loose" that toolbar when they first start with PSE. Double clicking the blue bar on top of that tool bar shrinks it so you have more workspace.

In answer to your other question; PSE (Photoshop Elements) does not store pictures inside the program folder. All pictures are stored on your computer (probably inside My Documents folder) and can be opened from there. Just use file/open or the file browser and locate the folder where they are stored.

I would suggest spending a little time deciding a good filing system and creating folders right away. For instance, fist a folder for My Pictures inside My Documents and then sub folders like family, friends, scenery…. etc. You probably know to just open My documents/My Pictures and then click File/New and then click on New Folder, name it what you want and do another.

Pete
BG
Byron Gale
Aug 22, 2003
Earl,

Glad it was something simple!

With regard to your other post: the regulars in this forum are at the top of the list when it comes to being helpful. Rest assured that the only reason it has no responses is because no one has anything to add. I know it’s frustrating when it appears your request is being ignored, but the more esoteric the question, the longer you may have to wait until someone with applicable experience wanders by. For myself, I have never used the briefcase, so don’t have a clue!

Byron
VB
Vicky Bilaniuk
Aug 22, 2003
Byron Gale wrote:
For myself, I have never used the
briefcase, so don’t have a clue!

Heh heh, with every installation of Windows I’ve ever owned, I always deleted the briefcase icon off of the screen because I had no idea how to use it. 😉 Sorry, Earl, but my guess is that few people here know how to use the briefcase.
JF
Jodi Frye
Aug 22, 2003
briefcase ??? Huh ? You lost me. Where is it ? Never seen it on my windows machine. I really thought he had Album or something like that and was posting on the wrong forum. Shows how much i know 🙂
R
Rina
Aug 22, 2003
I thought he meant Yahoo briefcase… But what do I know, I just lurk here like a sponge.

Rina

"Jodi Frye" wrote in message
briefcase ??? Huh ? You lost me. Where is it ? Never seen it on my windows
machine. I really thought he had Album or something like that and was posting on the wrong forum. Shows how much i know 🙂
P
Phosphor
Aug 22, 2003
Sorry, Earl, but my guess is that few people here know
how to use the briefcase.

That’s probably true. The briefcase is used to keep files in sync when you are working with them in more than one system.

You don’t generally work directly with the files in the briefcase. You work on the files on the pc and syncronize with the briefcase.

You can have more than one briefcase. Create one or use the one you already have. Copy the files you want to sync into the briefcase. move the briefcase onto rewritable removable media. When you put the removable media into the other system, copy the files from the briefcase onto the other system. Now you can work on the files.

After you are finished working on the files, right click the briefcase icon and click on syncronize. The file names will be compared and updated versions will copy either from the briefcase or to the briefcase depending on which is more recent. When you put the media back in the original computer and syncronize, the disk based files will be updated if the briefcase version is more recent.

If both computers are networked, you can used file sharing instead of physically moving the briefcase via removable media.

As to Earl’s original question re: briefcase. The way he is using it is unusual. It’s not intended to be used that way. Since it’s designed to syncronize files, it keeps track of computers, file names, and location. I’m not sure what will appear to be the name and location when saving directly into the briefcase from PSE.

The briefcase is similar to a folder when viewed in the Windows explorer or another application. It should appear to have the same contents from where ever you view it. It sounds like he may possibly have created a second briefcase, I don’t know. I would look at the paths to the briefcase from each location where he’s viewing it.

It’s possible that his briefcase is corrupted. In that case, he should delete it and recreate it.

I would recommend that he not use the briefcase unless he really does want to sync files on multiple machines. And even then, save the file to his disk first and then copy it into the briefcase.

You can work with the files in the briefcase directly but I would create them outside and copy them in first so the sync information will be properly recorded.

Bob
P
Phosphor
Aug 22, 2003
Byron,

Looks like we were both responding at the same time. <G>

A while back, I was working on a project with about a 100 files and I needed to be able to work on them either at work, at home, or on the road with my laptop. I was able to use the briefcase very effectively to keep it all in sync.

Bob
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 22, 2003
Byron, I, too, used a briefcase file for work on occasion; haven’t used it in several years, though. Talk about powers of observation – there’s been a briefcase file on my desktop since I bought this machine and I’ve never used it and never noticed it was there…

🙂

Chuck
EA
Earl Alexander
Aug 22, 2003
Thanks to everyone who replied with the great information. I do not network with another computer or use it for work . I have just always used it to store photos same as I store them in PictureIt. Everything always stayed where it was suppose to and with the correct names until I installed PSE 2 a few days ago. (Purchased at Wallyword), not the free online version. With all the good advise, I have removed everything from Briefcase and deleted it from my system. I now have new folders in My Documents for what I need. Does seem to work better. Thanks to everyone.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 22, 2003
Earl, if you’re going to be taking lots of pictures, you might want to consider a folder system that’s logical and fits your needs. Mine – which was originated by my photo downloading software from Canon – consists of a separate folder for each day of shooting; for instance, today’s folder would be called "2002-08-22" followed by a description of the event or place being photographed (for example "2002-08-22 Trip to Beach"). These folders are set up as subfolders to My Pictures.

If you want software that will help you even more to organize your images, check into Photoshop Album!

Chuck
EA
Earl Alexander
Aug 23, 2003
Thanks Chuck, sounds like a good suggestion.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections