DR
Posted By
Douglas_Rosen
May 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
We are trying to add our logo to an application. We have the logo in bmp and jpeg format, and consists of a stylized ‘M’. What we need to do is to make all the blank space around and between the M transparent, so that whatever color scheme the user has, it will look right.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?
Thanks

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

L
LenHewitt
May 14, 2004
Douglas,

Few image formats support transparency. Two that do are GIF and PNG, but GIF only supports 256 colours.

It sounds as though PNG is what you require.
SF
Scott_Falkner
May 14, 2004
If you are preparing this artwork for printing, there are exactly two solutions: Using InDesign, you can place a layered PSD file with transparency. Using QuarkXPress or PageMaker, you must add a clipping path to your logo and save it in EPS format.
DR
Douglas_Rosen
May 14, 2004
Thanks. We’re trying to place the logo on the main screen of an application we’re developing. It appears that we are limited to jpeg,, bmp, emf, ico, and wmf formats.
DR
Douglas_Rosen
May 14, 2004
GIF is fine. The logo is 1 solid color. Can you tell me how to make the background transaparent?
L
LenHewitt
May 14, 2004
Douglas,

Delete the background and use Save for Web>GIF and check the transparency box.

You can also drag any colour(s) to the transparency icon in the GIF colour palette in S4W to make that colour transparent.
DR
Douglas_Rosen
May 15, 2004
Thanks, Len. I’m sorry – I screwed up. Our app can’t use GIF – only bmp, jpeg, emf, ico and wmf.

Thanks anyway.
GA
Gordon_Anderson
May 16, 2004
Douglas,

I know much less than these other guys but you might want to try this option which has worked for me:

Bring your JPEG image into Photoshop (I’m assuming 7 here). Put a clipping path on it by using the Lasso Tool or however you normally do it. After you have the clipping image, if it does not already have a transparent background open a new document with a Transparent background and drag your logo (using the Move Tool) onto the document. Then go up to the "Help" on the Menu bar and go down to Export Transparent Image. Follow the instructions from here. Hope this helps.

Gordon
DR
Douglas_Rosen
May 16, 2004
Thanks. I’ll try that.
L
LenHewitt
May 16, 2004
Gordon,

That will create a clipped EPS or transparent GIF depending upon whether the ‘for print’ or ‘for web’ options are chosen.
GA
Gordon_Anderson
May 16, 2004
Thanks Len. I continually ran into the problem of an image giving me a white bounding box when it was brought in to another program and going through the "Export Transparent Image" process eliminated the white bounding box, leaving just the pure image. I was not real sure that this was what Douglas was asking about but I thought I would throw it out. Take care.
SL
suzanne_longrie
May 21, 2004
This process through the help menu doesn’t effect the quality of the image will it? I’ve know images to be distorted because of programs like Quark, but I tried this & brought it into Illustrator & it didn’t look too great. Just a question…
CW
Colin_Walls
May 21, 2004
Our app can’t use GIF – only bmp, jpeg, emf, ico and wmf

Th eonly one of these that supports transparency is ICO. I don’t think PS can work with that.

Can you not make that background of the image the same colour as the surrounding area?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections