Posted By
ronviers
Aug 28, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
I have a new LCD monitor. The documentation is not the greatest. The monitor works ok but the black is not as black as my old CRT – it’s kind of a glowy blue. Is there an adjustment I a missing? I have tried brightness and contrast but the black remains unaffected. There is also an adjustment called ‘Phase’. What does that do? It has a range from 1 to 100 and anything under 65 seems to throw off the rgb pixel alignment off horizontally and anything over 65 is fine. How could an adjustment like that be useful?

Thanks,
Ron

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

AM
Andrew Morton
Aug 28, 2008
ronviers@ wrote:
I have a new LCD monitor. The documentation is not the greatest. The monitor works ok but the black is not as black as my old CRT
R
ronviers
Aug 28, 2008
On Aug 28, 10:35 am, "Andrew Morton"
wrote:

That’s light leaking through. There isn’t anything you can do about it.

If the signal timing from the computer is a bit wrong, that compensates for it.

Andrew

Very helpful Andrew – Thank you:) Oh well, it’s so bright and sharp I guess I can live with a little glowy blueness. I guess I can stop screwing with phase too.
K
KatWoman
Aug 28, 2008
wrote in message
On Aug 28, 10:35 am, "Andrew Morton"
wrote:

That’s light leaking through. There isn’t anything you can do about it.

If the signal timing from the computer is a bit wrong, that compensates for
it.

Andrew

Very helpful Andrew – Thank you:) Oh well, it’s so bright and sharp I guess I can live with a little glowy blueness. I guess I can stop screwing with phase too.

oh run I hated the LCD when I first got one
now I am used to it

make sure to set the Windows to clear type or the text looks nasty my LCD came with great software for adjustments
(Samsung)
it has a lot of variables to play gamma color bal several auto functions change color temp on the fly with a button etc
R
ronviers
Aug 28, 2008
On Aug 28, 3:10 pm, "KatWoman" wrote:
wrote in message

make sure to set the Windows to clear type or the text looks nasty my LCD came with great software for adjustments
(Samsung)
it has a lot of variables to play gamma color bal several auto functions change color temp on the fly with a button etc

I do not know how to check for clear type. I have the XP GUI disabled because it slows the machine down (guess I’m not a good candidate for Vista) so it may not be an option.

The monitor has a lot of adjustments but my ATI graphics card (x1950pro) software has a killer set that I’m familiar with. Is there any advantage to using the monitor’s tools over the graphics card’s?
J
Jason
Sep 5, 2008
In article <5f3d0943-5058-45e1-b8d8-5e3521e618b4
@m3g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>, says…
Is there
any advantage to using the monitor’s tools over the graphics card’s?
Possibly. Any changes you make the the lookup tables in the video adapter will, by definition, shrink the gamut. That shouldn’t be the case if there are corresponding adjustments for the monitor.
J
Jason
Sep 5, 2008
In article <db756d85-8d11-4a1f-b7c3-12c795db4528
@m36g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, says…
How
could an adjustment like that be useful?
I should be useful if you are not running your video at the LCD’s "native" resolution. Tweak for best picture.
R
ronviers
Sep 5, 2008
On Sep 5, 12:44 pm, Jason wrote:
In article <5f3d0943-5058-45e1-b8d8-5e3521e618b4
@m3g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>, says…
Is there> any advantage to using the monitor’s tools over the graphics card’s?
Possibly. Any changes you make the the lookup tables in the video adapter will, by definition, shrink the gamut. That shouldn’t be the case if there are corresponding adjustments for the monitor.

That seems like an excellent point. I will have to think about how to maximize what the graphics card is getting. Thank you.
R
ronviers
Sep 5, 2008
On Sep 5, 12:45 pm, Jason wrote:
In article <db756d85-8d11-4a1f-b7c3-12c795db4528
@m36g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, says…
How> could an adjustment like that be useful?

I should be useful if you are not running your video at the LCD’s "native" resolution. Tweak for best picture.

Fortunately ‘native'(maximum) was no problem for this graphics card. Thanks for the info.
V
veegerNOSPAM
Sep 5, 2008
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 08:27:12 -0700 (PDT), ""
wrote:

Hi,
I have a new LCD monitor. The documentation is not the greatest. The monitor works ok but the black is not as black as my old CRT – it’s kind of a glowy blue. Is there an adjustment I a missing? I have tried brightness and contrast but the black remains unaffected. There is also an adjustment called ‘Phase’. What does that do? It has a range from 1 to 100 and anything under 65 seems to throw off the rgb pixel alignment off horizontally and anything over 65 is fine. How could an adjustment like that be useful?

Thanks,
Ron

I have just the opposite problem with my laptop. The screen is really dark all the time. Have looked for some means of adjusting the contrast, which appears to be the problem, but nada.

Vintage Burgundy 65 Fastback 2+2, 289 OEM 4bbl, Custom C4, OEM front disc/rear drum P/R&P, 16×8" V40s, BFG gForce T/A skins. Cobra drop, halogen and LED lighting.
R
ronviers
Sep 6, 2008
On Sep 5, 6:34 pm, wrote:

I have just the opposite problem with my laptop. The screen is really dark all the time.

Vintage Burgundy 65 Fastback 2+2, 289 OEM 4bbl, Custom C4, OEM front disc/rear drum P/R&P, 16×8" V40s, BFG gForce T/A skins. Cobra drop, halogen and LED lighting.

Maybe the power management driver you have installed is not correct for that model. Have you checked the manufacturer for the current driver?
V
veegerNOSPAM
Sep 6, 2008
On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 17:32:36 -0700 (PDT), ""
wrote:

I have just the opposite problem with my laptop. The screen is really dark all the time.

Maybe the power management driver you have installed is not correct for that model. Have you checked the manufacturer for the current driver?
All the drivers are correct and up to date. Using the "brightness" control it is possible to lighten it a little, but not near enough for some programs. Some of them are so dark it’s hard to see what they are. I think it may possibly be the programs more than the laptop. —

K
KatWoman
Sep 6, 2008
wrote in message
wrote:

On Sep 5, 6:34 pm, wrote:

All the drivers are correct and up to date. Using the "brightness" control it is possible to lighten it a little, but not near enough for some programs. Some of them are so dark it’s hard to see what they are. I think it may possibly be the programs more than the laptop.

can you install an old version of PS with gamma controls? you could use that to adjust up

R
ronviers
Sep 6, 2008
On Sep 6, 3:57 pm, wrote:

wrote:

All the drivers are correct and up to date. Using the "brightness" control it is possible to lighten it a little, but not near enough for some programs. Some of them are so dark it’s hard to see what they are. I think it may possibly be the programs more than the laptop. —

Many laptops adjust the brightness of the monitor, on or off ac or low battery, in order to conserve power. This could be buttons separate from the keyboard (like my Mom’s Sharp), a key sequence (like my Thinkpad), or software accessed from within XP. It sounds like your laptop is in power saving mode and needs to be reconfigured. But this is just a guess.

Good luck,
Ron
V
veegerNOSPAM
Sep 7, 2008
On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 17:56:32 -0400, "KatWoman" wrote:

wrote in message
wrote:

All the drivers are correct and up to date. Using the "brightness" control it is possible to lighten it a little, but not near enough for some programs. Some of them are so dark it’s hard to see what they are. I think it may possibly be the programs more than the laptop.

can you install an old version of PS with gamma controls? you could use that to adjust up

I can, and will give it the old collich (hic) try :0) Thanks. —

V
veegerNOSPAM
Sep 7, 2008
On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 15:38:45 -0700 (PDT), ""
wrote:

On Sep 6, 3:57 pm, wrote:

wrote:

Many laptops adjust the brightness of the monitor, on or off ac or low battery, in order to conserve power. This could be buttons separate from the keyboard (like my Mom’s Sharp), a key sequence (like my Thinkpad), or software accessed from within XP. It sounds like your laptop is in power saving mode and needs to be reconfigured. But this is just a guess.

Good luck,
Ron

My first laptop. :0) Still learning about the differences between desktop and laptop. (I just switched to DSL two weeks ago after 16 years of dialup. I can never go "home" again. :0)

Speaking of which…. ISPs are looking at regulating the transfer of data via broadband, with stiff charges for exceeding the limits. I believe one (AT&T?) has already gone to this with a 30GB limit per month. That’s fine for a corporation, but for a private person…. —

K
KatWoman
Sep 8, 2008
wrote in message
On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 15:38:45 -0700 (PDT), ""
wrote:

On Sep 6, 3:57 pm, wrote:

wrote:

Good luck,
Ron

My first laptop. :0) Still learning about the differences between desktop and laptop. (I just switched to DSL two weeks ago after 16 years of dialup. I can never go "home" again. :0)
Speaking of which…. ISPs are looking at regulating the transfer of data via broadband, with stiff charges for exceeding the limits. I believe one (AT&T?) has already gone to this with a 30GB limit per month. That’s fine for a corporation, but for a private person…. —

YES FOLKS JOE BIDEN SUPPORTS snooping on YOUR internet to find illegal music and movie downloads
but does not support snooping to find terror plots
go figure

vote the hero………… dump the zero

COMCAST
they have been throttling download speeds for movie and music b/c if you can get hi def movie online you won’t need to buy their cable services lots these cases are in the courts now
other cases involve companies turning over your internet use without your knowledge, without warrants etc

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections