R
Posted By
ronviers
Oct 16, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The first thing the Adobe Gamma wizard instructs me to do is adjust the contrast to its highest setting. Are they serious? Because when I do, the monitor is hopelessly out of adjustment.
The second problem is that it only appears to be adjusting the left monitor. How do I load it for the right monitor?
The third thing is that my LCD monitor has a gamma adjustment already set to 2.2 and it is driven by a graphics card that also has a gamma adjustment that is set to linear. While the CRT on the right does not have its own gamma control but it has its own separate gamma adjustment on the graphics card that I have just where I want it because I had to adjust the blue gamma separately to get the midtones to be neutral.
I am thinking about removing the Adobe Gamma from my startup. Does that sound ok? Does PS expect it to be there for something?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

S
Swatch
Oct 16, 2008
wrote:
The first thing the Adobe Gamma wizard instructs me to do is adjust the contrast to its highest setting. Are they serious? Because when I do, the monitor is hopelessly out of adjustment.
The second problem is that it only appears to be adjusting the left monitor. How do I load it for the right monitor?
The third thing is that my LCD monitor has a gamma adjustment already set to 2.2 and it is driven by a graphics card that also has a gamma adjustment that is set to linear. While the CRT on the right does not have its own gamma control but it has its own separate gamma adjustment on the graphics card that I have just where I want it because I had to adjust the blue gamma separately to get the midtones to be neutral.
I am thinking about removing the Adobe Gamma from my startup. Does that sound ok? Does PS expect it to be there for something?

Photoshop does not need Adobe Gamma. The bottom line is that the monitor that you use photoshop on needs to match your output. Use whatever tools you have at your disposal as you see fit. In my experience monitor calibration tools adjust the primary monitor, so if the wrong one is getting calibrated switch them around in the display properties. -S
RG
Roy G
Oct 16, 2008
"Swatch" wrote in message
wrote:

Photoshop does not need Adobe Gamma. The bottom line is that the monitor that you use photoshop on needs to match your output. Use whatever tools you have at your disposal as you see fit. In my experience monitor calibration tools adjust the primary monitor, so if the wrong one is getting calibrated switch them around in the display properties. -S

Adobe Gamma tends to be not much use for most Flat Panel Displays. They really need to be done using a Hardware Device.

In Windows each Monitor needs to have its own Graphics Card before it can be Calibrated individually. Otherwise you need to select which One of your Monitors gets Calibrated.

If you do use a hardware device then you MUST remove Adobe Gamma from the Start Up Folder.

Roy G
R
ronviers
Oct 17, 2008
Thanks Swatch and Roy.
I have decided to remove it. Some day I would like to get some calibration hardware but that will have to wait. I’m pretty happy with how it’s working now.
J
Joe
Oct 17, 2008
Swatch wrote:

wrote:

In general it doesn’t matter what you use, as long as you can get your CRT or LCD to get as closest to the normal displaying then you are fine. If you use Hardware Calibrator then it should have option to calibrate CRT as well as LCD.

And *if* you have the hardware calibrator then no such thinh of primary or secondary monitor, just calibrate them all would make more sense. And you do not need to mess up your calibrated monitor to match other people’s error.
DC
Dave Cohen
Oct 18, 2008
wrote:
Thanks Swatch and Roy.
I have decided to remove it. Some day I would like to get some calibration hardware but that will have to wait. I’m pretty happy with how it’s working now.
Calibration hardware might not be your solution. All LCD’s are not created equal. The best calibration hardware in the world won’t get you past the fact that some monitors lack latitude. Which is to say that when you set your whites to white, your blacks will become grey. Or if you set your blacks to black (sometimes with a bizarre colour-cast) your whites become grey. Not to mention the colours in between. If you have a working solution at present (your monitor matches your output) go with it. -S

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections