RD
Posted By
Rob_D_Jones
Aug 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I had get a new monitor and it is a Sony SDM-S94 19" LCD. When I open Photoshop, the colors are a mess. Everything looks like it’s almost a pure magenta. I tried playing with the color settings, but it didn’t make any difference.

The Monitor is connected to the DVI-D port with an Apple 17" LCD connected to the ADC port of the GeForce4 MX in a G4 running OSX 10.3.4.

As far as I can tell, Photoshop is the only application with this problem.

Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

RM
Rick_McCleary
Aug 10, 2004
Calibrate the monitor by making a new monitor profile.

The best way to do this is with a hardware calibrator (like EyeOne or Spyder).

Alternatively, you can get it in the neighborhood by using the software calibrator in System Preferences > Displays > Color. Click on the "calibrate" button, check expert mode and follow the directions.
RD
Rob_D_Jones
Aug 10, 2004
I actually did the software calibration routine as soon as I hooked up the monitor.

I tried changing the Display Profile in the Display Control Panel to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 from the calibrated profile and it’s a lot better. InDesign is screwed up now, but that’s not as critical as Photoshop.
R
Ram
Aug 10, 2004
Rob,

Why on Earth set the monitor to sRGB after you calibrated the monitor? The point of calibration is to create a specific profile for each individual monitor, save that profile and use it as your monitor profile.

Obviously you didn’t calibrate accurately the first time. Try again under ideal conditions: don’t let any ambient (room) light hit the monitor screen while you calibrate.

As Rick points out, hardware calibration (with a puck)is better.
RD
Rob_D_Jones
Aug 10, 2004
Why on Earth set the monitor to sRGB after you calibrated the monitor?

That’s why I’m on here asking this question. I ran the calibration routine 3 times and saved the calibrated profiles. For whatever reason, when I select one of those saved profiles in Photoshop, the color goes crazy. If I go back to sRGB it looks fine. Hence my confusion.
R
Ram
Aug 10, 2004
Rob,

Again, you’re obviously doing something drastically wrong during the calibration process, or … (less likely, but possible) you could have one of those few incompatible monitors. There could even be interaction between the two monitors connected to the same graphics card. (I assumed you calibrated each monitor separately, of course.)
GB
g_ballard
Aug 10, 2004
the eye-ball "calibrators" depend on your skill…after you select sRGB, THEN Calibrate <http://www.gballard.net/nca.html#getagoodscreen>
IL
Ian_Lyons
Aug 10, 2004
Rob,

I actually did the software calibration routine as soon as I hooked up the monitor.

What software are you using and what are your choices for colour temp and gamma?

Ian
RD
Rob_D_Jones
Aug 10, 2004
Ian,

I just used the Display Control Panel. I changed the color temp to 6500K on the built-in menu in the monitor and it’s a lot better and gamma is 2.2 (I think). I’ve changed it so many times, I’m not sure any more!

g ballard,

Great site! Lots of good info there. I’ve been doing some tweaking over the last couple of hours while I work. I think I have it pretty good now. Absolutely correct color is not critical for my work. Close enough is good enough :-). It’s very close to the Apple LCD now and I am very happy with the color on the Apple. I think I’m going to stop messing with it so I don’t make it worse!

Ramón,

I think there may have been some kind of interacation with the two monitors on the same card. But I couldn’t say for sure. I just couldn’t understand how I could’ve screwed up the calibration so completely. I mean, it’s a fairly straightforward process. By playing with all the settings, I think I have it pretty close now. I’m going to use it for a day or two and see how it shakes out.
R
Ram
Aug 11, 2004
Rob,

At one point I thought I was doing a pretty good job with eyeball calibrators –until I acquired hardware calibration tools, first a Spyder for what is now my second monitor and then my main monitor, which came with its own calibration tools. Then I realized how far off I had really been. I learned that I can’t really trust my eyes for this.
RS
Richard_Sohanchyk
Aug 12, 2004
Which Spyder package: Spyder, Spyder PRO with OptiCAL or SpyderPro Suite? I want to calibrate my monitors including 1 LCD.

My apple 17" LCD is crapping out after 18 months. I have never had a monitor go bad. $999 when this first came out. I’m PO’d. The Sony 19" is $680 with rebate so I’m thinking of taking a chance.
RD
Reggie_D._Byrum
Aug 14, 2004
I’m having a similar problem. Just installed Photoshop CS, now my colors are all screwed up. Heavy magenta over the photograph. Calibrated monitor, but makes very little difference. I think I tried every setting in color preferences – still can’t get a good photograph to come up. Let me know if you find the answer . . .
R
Ram
Aug 14, 2004
Reggie,

That sounds very much like a conversion issue. Make sure you are set to Adobe Engine and not applying double color management (set printer driver to No Color adjustment).

Follow the instructions in this link to the letter, step by step:

<http://www.gballard.net/nca.html>
R
Ram
Aug 14, 2004
Richard,

Which package to buy depends on your monitor and what you want. If your monitor has individually adjustable RGB guns, get a package that comes with OptiCal rather than just PhotoCal. Otherwise, PhotoCal will do fine.

If you want to calibrate the printer as well, then get the package that comes with PrintFix. If you only want to calibrate the monitor, and if your monitor doesn’t let you tweak the RGB guns separately, then go for the cheapest ($119) package.

<http://www.colorvision.com/products_compare.shtml>

and

<http://www.colorvision.com/products_pro.shtml>
RD
Reggie_D._Byrum
Aug 14, 2004
BINGO!!!!!!

Ramón! Thank you so much for the link!!!!!

In reading, I clicked on "Simple test to rule out whacked monitor profile." And low and behold . . guess what kind of monitor I have?

Hitachi CM715!

And I JUST installed Panther before installing Photoshop CS!

(Information you could have used earlier, huh?)

Thanks SO MUCH for your help! Photos look back to normal after selecting the AppleRGB profile.

Thanks Again!!!!
R
Ram
Aug 14, 2004
Thank G Ballard, Reggie. Glad you solved your oroblem.
RS
Richard_Sohanchyk
Aug 15, 2004
Ramon: I got the pro version as I found it for a very good price. $218 I think. I’m still looking at the SONY mentioned in this thread. My 17" apple LCD is seriously wigging out with vertical yellow lines and blinks on and off constantly after only 18 months. PO’d like you wouldn’t believe. I turned of energy saver and it seems to stabilize the monitor for longer periods. Thanks for all the tips.
R
Ram
Aug 15, 2004
You’re welcome, Richard. I prefer CRTs.
CW
Chuck_Wolff
Aug 16, 2004
I had a red glow to my desktop also. On the onscreen display I unchecked the fine screen display, all is ok now. I have a LaCie 19 CRT with good color.
RS
Richard_Sohanchyk
Aug 16, 2004
First time I picked up a 15 lb LCD I knew I wouldn’t be using CRT ever again.
R
Ram
Aug 16, 2004
Richard,

You’re supposed to view them, not carry them.
RS
Richard_Sohanchyk
Aug 16, 2004
😎

Maybe I don’t do enough PS work. I don’t think the difference is so huge between CRT and LCD to worry about these days. The new apple monitors I saw at the apple store are fabulous.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections