JP
Posted By
johny_player
Apr 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want an action that will add Guassian Blur to an image and save it then add Guassian Blur with an increment of 1 to the same image and save it and so on. Like I want to save 100 pictures with Guassian Blur applied with value from 0 to 100. Doing it manually take too much time so I want to automate process but I don’t know how Photoshop increment value of Guassian Blur automatically each time it applied to the image. Any Help?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DR
Danny_Raphael
Apr 29, 2004
When you’re finished do you want (a) 100 separate files, each with Gblur radius one more than the last one or (b) a single image with 100 layers, each layer having Gblur radius one more than the previous layer?

Either case could be done using an action with the qualifier setup would take a little time and it wouldn’t be a very flexible in terms of assigning file names (if multiple files).

For the most flexiblity in assigning file names and incrementing settings automatically, scripting (JavaScript or Visual Basic) would be the way to go if that’s your thing (it isn’t mine).
JP
johny_player
Apr 29, 2004
Thanx for help. I want 100 separate files with Gblur radius one more than the last one. I know VB but how can I do this in VB? any help?

Gblur is just an example, Actually I want to create an animated matte with the same technique then combining all images in avi or mov format to be used in animation. I have a project to be completed this week 🙁 …. I will give half money who will help, hahahhahah 🙂

just kidding…I really need help.
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 29, 2004
I know VB but how can I do this in VB? any help?

do you have a server that can run vbscript? if so, use a standard for/next loop to run an action.
DR
Danny_Raphael
Apr 29, 2004
I’ve got detailed instructions almost ready to go for doing this via an action. Not difficult in the big scheme.

Question regarding file format.
* A. What format for original images, e.g., .jpg? .psd?
* B. What format for desintation files, e.g., .jpg? .tif? .psd? * C. How about file name requirements on the final images? Does it matter?
PC
Patty_Clarke
Apr 30, 2004
I’ve got detailed instructions almost ready to go for doing this via an action. Not difficult in the big scheme.

Wow Danny, you are the Action King!

I’ve never heard of VB–if it’s anything I should be familiar with, I’d like to hear about it. If it’s too obscure for my world, then never mind.

Patty 🙂
DR
Danny_Raphael
Apr 30, 2004
Hey Patty:

VB is the abbreviation for "Visual Basic," a programming language that enables those skilled in using it to write programs (also known as "scripts") that can perform complex functions and tasks that exceed the limitations of Actions.

Another programming language called JavaScript is also used to write these programs. VB and JavaScript are like of like a Ford truck and a Chevy truck — two similar, but different ways to get from here to there.

RE: Too obscure for your world?
That one I can’t answer. The usefulness of learning/using VB would depend on your technical needs, personal interests, whether or not you are limited by action functionality constraints, etc. It’s a great sport once you get the hang of some basic concepts.

< http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.ef7f2cb.3bb3a9 0e> – from the Photoshop Scripting forum would be one to check out if you wanted to know more about scripting (in general), scripting resources, etc.

~Danny~
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 30, 2004
close but vb is a real language… vbscript is the just in time compiled script version of the full visual basic, like javascript is the mini version of java. many of the same concepts and syntax remain, but many don’t.
PC
Patty_Clarke
Apr 30, 2004
"RE: Too obscure for your world?"

Thanks Danny for your explanation and your link. Very kind of you to take the time. I read through the thread and found it very interesting. (Obviously, somewhat over my head, but you have to start somewhere, right??)

My world basically consists of learning, learning and more learning.

I jumped into photoshop about a year ago with no real basic computer understanding, so now I’m trying to get up to speed in the computer world as well as the graphics world. I have gained a lot of ground in some areas–but that can be a disadvantage of sorts, because "people" would expect that I should know "things" that I don’t have any clue about. I don’t have a good computer foundation of knowledge and I’m trying to fix that.

So anytime I come across something that I don’t know about, with someone that I am comfortable asking a "stupid" question–I just ask.
Lucky you Danny–you qualify as a comfort zone.

I recently received help in the necessary html to post a link on the forums. I was successful once and then had problems the second attempt.

So, basically, I’m just trying to suss things out. Would I be correct in thinking that html is the "communication language" of the internet and Java and Visual Basics are programming languages that are used in building programs etc. I’m sure it’s not that simple, but I’m just trying to get a basic understanding.

Thanks,

Patty 🙂
L
LenHewitt
Apr 30, 2004
Milbut!!

like javascript is the mini version of java<<

NO,NO,NO,NO,NO!!!!

It ISN’T, it never HAS BEEN, and it never WILL BE! The only connection is similar names!

Sorry, but I couldn’t let that one pass!
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 30, 2004
The only connection is similar names!

and much of trheir syntax, just like vb & vbscript. huh. imagine that. 🙂
MM
Mick_Murphy
Apr 30, 2004
It’s all Netscape’s fault. They decided to name their new web scripting language Javascript around the time Sun was releasing Java. They are not genetically related whereas VB and VBScript are from the same stable – the mind of Bill Gates.
JP
johny_player
Apr 30, 2004
Danny please tell me the action please it is a gr8 head ache for me, extensions doesn’t matter but I want to open a jpg and save it as jpg.
That’s it….but tell me the action or if it present on a website, give me url…..bye
JP
johny_player
Apr 30, 2004
Danny please tell me the action please it is a gr8 head ache for me, extensions doesn’t matter but I want to open a jpg and save it as jpg.
That’s it….but tell me the action or if it present on a website, give me url….. Also how can I integrate VB and photoshop, any practical example.
JP
johny_player
Apr 30, 2004
Danny please tell me the action, it is a gr8 head ache for me, extensions doesn’t matter but I want to open a jpg and save it as jpg.
That’s it….but tell me the action or if it present on a website, give me url….. Also how can I integrate VB and photoshop, any practical example.
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 30, 2004
john do you have the scripting plugin? it comes with cs, but if you have 7 it’s a download. get it. it has documentation on scripting photoshop actions with vbscript, javascript or applescript.

also there’s a full sub-forum here devoted just to scripting issues.
DR
Danny_Raphael
Apr 30, 2004
Johny:

Send e-mail to me (click my name in blue above; note part that needs to be removed). My reply will include base action (example) & instruction attachments. With them it will take you about 15 minutes to get rolling.
DR
Danny_Raphael
Apr 30, 2004
Dave, et al: Thx for the VB vs VBScripting clarification. Good stuff.

Much appreciated.
DR
Danny_Raphael
May 3, 2004
(bump) hoping Johny will see this and reply.

JOHNY: See msg 16. I’ve got a solution ready to e-mail to you if you are interested and/or still have the need.
JP
johny player
May 3, 2004
Danny
I tried to email you at but I recieve a mailer daemon that this email address doesn’t exist….I did what you told me to do but your email address is not the right one. What is your email address so I can email you
JP
johny player
May 3, 2004
Ah! sorry I tried to email you at
DR
Danny_Raphael
May 3, 2004
is correct. Try it again or post your e-mail addy and I’ll e-mail you.
JP
johny player
May 3, 2004
Danny
I emailed you but I request you to give some details on this forum so other can benefit. Do Good and Have Good 🙂
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 4, 2004
I guess that Danny will include the action explanation in the next revision of his excellent actions tutorial!
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
May 4, 2004
Are you ready for the spam robots, Danny? 😉
DR
Danny_Raphael
May 5, 2004
RE: SPAM robots…
Yeah, like I need more SPAM 🙁 🙂

The action in a nutshell:
* A File > Open command is used to open the original (subject) image. The command was place in the action using the Insert Menu Item command from the Actions Palette menu. This eliminates the need to hard code a folder and file name in the Open command.
* Image > Duplicate
* Select (click on) original image and close it. This ensures no changes are made to the original. * Save the duplicate (file name = 000.jpg) indicating a Gaussian Blur of zero was applied to the image.

Then this sequence was recorded once:

* Duplicate image (000.jpg)
* Apply Gaussian blur radius = 1
* Save As… (File Name = xxx.jpg)
* Close

This block of commands was then replicated until there were 100-sets, one set for Gaussian Blur radius settings 1-100.

To select a block of commands, click on the 1st command; hold down CTRL and click on the last. Choose Duplicate from the Actions Palette menu.

1 set became 2 sets; 2 duplicated to 4; then 8, 16, 32, 64 and finally 128. Deleted the last 28 = 100.

Then I engaged the Record Again command from the Actions Palette menu. This played back the action, step by step, allowing me to replace the original 1-pixel value in each Gblur command with values 1-100 and likewise replace the xxx.jpg file names in the Save As… commands with 001.jpg – 100.jpg to coincide with the Gblur radius value.

The rerecorded steps came out like this:
* Apply Gaussian blur radius = 1
* Save as 001.jpg
* Close 001.jpg

* Apply Gaussian blur radius = 2
* Save as 002.jpg
* Close 002.jpg .
. (repeat for Gblur radius 3 – 98)
* Apply Gaussian blur radius = 99
* Save as 099.jpg
* Close 099.jpg

* Apply Gaussian blur radius = 100
* Save as 100.jpg
* Close 100.jpg

The last step recorded closed the duplicate of the original file: * Close 000.jpg

A bit tedius, not at all glamourous or flexible, but functional.

Having not done this type of thing before, it took about two hours to build and fine tune. More fun and education with actions. It’s all good!

May the SPAM Gods go easy on me!
JP
johny player
May 5, 2004
gr8 work
JP
johny player
May 5, 2004
gr8 work 🙂
DM
dave_milbut
May 5, 2004
May the SPAM Gods go easy on me!

aye laddie.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections