What makes a plugin support photoshop actions?

WT
Posted By
Walter_Tinsley
Feb 13, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
If I want to call a plugin in a photoshop action, does it have to be written specifically so you can call it, apply it and move on in the action? I want to use the action to batch process files without having to intervene.

Thanks

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Feb 13, 2007
No. If it works on the kind of file you are using the action on, it will work in the action.
TT
Toby_Thain
Feb 13, 2007
Yes. To script its parameters (record and replay) the plugin must implement explicit scripting support. (If it has no parameters at all, then it doesn’t matter.)
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Feb 13, 2007
I don’t understand. What plugin can’t be called by an Action? As far as I know, if it’s a menu item it is actionable.

We’re talking about Actions, not Scripts.
DR
Danny_Raphael
Feb 13, 2007
Ed:

I think the Toby means invoking (via batch) an action that calls a plugin. Some plugins are not "hands-off batch friendly," that is the plugin’s dialog will always be displayed.

————-

Walter:

If what I described applies to you, the answer is, "Yes, the plugin must be written to Photoshop plugin specifications" to execute "hands off" during a batch process.

Here’s an obscure but functional workaround that will work in batch IF the plugin in question is the only plugin or filter used in the action. In other words if the plugin is used more than once (with different settings each time) or any other plugin or filter is applied by the action, the following will not work:
* Open a test image
* Create new action
* Record steps as necessary
* Filter > [choose plugin and select settings] + OK to apply it * From the Action Palette Menu choose Insert menu item… — which will display the IMI dialog * From the Filter menu choose the top menu command (which will correspond to the step just applied). This will populate the IMI dialog.
* Click OK to close the IMI dialog. Note a "Select Last Filter Menu item" command is inserted into the action.
* Record steps as necessary
* STOP recording
* Close test image
* Turn off (click left-most checkbox) or delete the command ABOVE the "Select Last Filter Menu item" command. You don’t want this step to execute in the batch process.

Before applying the action in batch, do this:
* Open a test image
* Filter > [choose plugin and select settings] + OK to apply it * Close test image

Now, invoke your action via the batch dialog as usual. When the action executes the "Select Last Filter Menu item" command, it will apply the "last plugin and settings" without displaying a dialog.

Not elegant, but functional.

HTH…

~Danny~
TT
Toby_Thain
Feb 13, 2007
I was also talking about the recording and playback that occurs in Actions. Without explicit scripting support, parameters can neither be captured nor applied in a plugin invocation.
WT
Walter_Tinsley
Feb 15, 2007
Thanks to all for the reply.

Danny – you hit the nail on the head. That’s exactly what I was trying to do. Your solution would have been perfect except that the action did call two other batch friendly plugins later. At least now I know.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections