GREAT FIX for Photoshop CS slowness and sudden crashing!!

DB
Posted By
David_B_Farmer
Apr 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Way down in the message boards is a topic discussing CS’ and 7.0’s ability to suddenly shut down a computer without any warning, particularly the HP zd7000. This was a frustrating thing for people using that laptop. It was considered in that forum to be a hardware solution.

I just got off the phone with some very knowledgeable HP engineers, and after nearly an hour of solutioning, we found that in both 7.0 and CS versions, Photoshop is trying to access outdated MMX technology. For PENTIUM USERS who have a P4 chip – at any clock speed – this is a critical and wonderful fix! Read on! (FYI: the zd7000 uses P4 3.0 or 3.2+ with HT technology, which is why it was a concern for people who owned this high-powered laptop – but the fix goes for anyone with a P4 or higher).

On the PC, go to C:/Program Files/Adobe/Photoshop CS/Plug Ins/Extensions/ and then change the extensions for the following two files from .8BX to .old:

– MMXCore.8bx
– FastCore.8bx

They should read MMXCore.old and FastCore.old. Note that in 7.0, the folder resides in "Adobe Photoshop Only" within /Plug-Ins.

Because MMX technology was used only in P3 chips, it is hindering newer P4 chips, especially those with the latest HT technology, from reaching optimum efficiency with Photoshop. In some cases, like in mine and a few others, Photoshop (7 and CS) will crash unexpectedly, and/or be much slower than necessary.

As soon as I made this fix, Photoshop sang like never before. It was so much faster with the P4 chip than it had been when trying to use MMX technology. And it has yet to crash.

Trust me – fix it and you’ll have a much faster and more stable Photoshop experience! ADOBE TAKE NOTE!

Dave in Virginia

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 15, 2004
PLEASE check your facts before posting misinformation like this.

Your "information" is completely incorrect — as I just explained in your original thread. Go read it. HP screwed up (now twice).

Misinformation like this is likely to cause more harm than good. (and if the admins were working right now I’d have them delete this topic).

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections