XE
Posted By
Xag_Estri
Jul 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
For those that have the problem, here is the answer.

No need to change bios, no ram problem, its all adobe.

I went through my computer maker with this one, and it is an ADOBE problem not the computer – and it is also a problem with several other computers.

Adobe, being smart, decided to put options to make it work faster aka. crash.

To fix this problem

Adobe CS: Locate your adobe folder then follow this path

Adobe\Photoshop CS\Plug-Ins\Extensions\

Here you will see 3 files ( these are the problem files )

Rename the extension to .OLD or something other than .8BX and thats it. Try photoshop out.

I was crashing every time I resized, half the time I used magic wand, and 90% of the time I used vector. Now I just tested by resizing my canvas to 10000 pixels x 10000 with vector resized as well and magic wand on 3 bg effects.. No crash as of yet.

Hope this helps someone.

Xag Estri

* ************* Life is short, enjoy it.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
BobLevine
Jul 2, 2004
If you post this nonsense again, I’ll delete it.

For anyone else reading it, it will minimize the crashing but will not eliminate it. This has been discussed and HP does have some hardware problems. What the fix will wind up being is anyone’s guess.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 2, 2004
the reason removing those extentions works is because it keeps photoshop from accessing your busted hardware most of the time. you’re crippling the program.

If you post this nonsense again, I’ll delete it.

LMAO! Thanks Robert! Great chuckle! I love that line!
XE
Xag_Estri
Jul 2, 2004
Thanks for the info, I will contact hp and dell again I suppose to try to see if there is a hardware fix.

Odd that only photoshop uses the crashing hardware though.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 2, 2004
Whatever it is,

it’s not using the mmx and sse2 hardware on your system. haha. yes, lauging. 🙂

on GOOD hardware, the program doesn’t crash.

it DOES work, as a band aid. you’ve got bad hardware and you’d do well to get it fixed before your warrenty runs out.

hey it’s not my system… <shrug>
G
graffiti
Jul 2, 2004
Odd that only photoshop uses the crashing hardware though.

It’s probably not the only software using the hardware but it does tax it more than others.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Jul 2, 2004
Xag,

I’m curious…you mention that "I went through my computer maker" in your original post and then "I will contact Dell and HP again" in your second post. So, given that Dell and HP do not to my knowledge build a common PC, are you saying that you’ve seen PCs by each of these two manufacturers crash with PS CS? Or, is your system perhaps a Dell PC with HP peripherals installed? If the answer to the first question is yes, then I wonder what the two systems have in common…such as the same motherboard? Such answers could help aid any troubleshooting efforts.

Regards,

Daryl
XE
Xag_Estri
Jul 2, 2004
It crashes on my Dell Dimension desktop pentium 4 3 ghz and on my hp pavillion p4 3.2 ghz

The dell has worked with photoshop 6 since I got it, and not until I tested photoshop cs trail did it start instant crashing. I thought it was a problem with my computer setup, so I tested it on my new hp laptop that didnt have all of the old programs on it, but same problem showed.

The hp crashes much more frequently than the dell, but the dell desktop still crashes about every 2 hours of work, whereas the hp is every 10-20 minutes.

I just tested the new plugin for multiprocessor on my laptop while changing the names back to .8BX and amazingly it has worked for 30 minutes with the vector files.

I am off work now, and will test on my home desktop as well and see if it helps out there as well and if I can get either to crash with the new plugin.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jul 3, 2004
Bob, what nonsense is there to delete? Did you remove something from the original post?

So far as os vs app, a similar argument occurred as to the hangup in PS 6,7 and perhaps 5, saving files after making changes. It was traceable to handle lockups, and I went to considerable effort with both MS and Adobe to attempt a fix. Both pointed fingers at the other as being the offender. We ("we" being the group here, mostly Dave Milbut, thanks again dave!) "fixed" the problem by rendering psicon.dll old, and making some changes in the registry. Now, in PSCS, the psicon.dll is not present, which accounts for the fact that thumbnails cannot be seen in Windows explorer. (I have a workaround installed that fixes that, and so far, no hangups). That is to me a tacit admission of ownership of the problem, for which I am pleased. Of course, it still may be something that, if MS made changes, the hangups wouldn’t occur.

On and on. Software has such a long way to go!
B
BobLevine
Jul 3, 2004
The "fix" is what’s nonsense. And no, I didn’t delete anything.

He posted this in another thread which is what irratated me the most. Not only is flat out wrong, it’s in more than one place.

Bob
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 4, 2004
This topic should probably be deleted – Xag’s suggestion does more harm than good.
B
BobLevine
Jul 5, 2004
I’ve corrected him in both places he’s posted it and so have others.

Bob
XE
Xag_Estri
Jul 6, 2004
Welp – thanks for the info, after 4 hours at the hp service shop, my computer tests as working properly, no hardware issues – ram tested working properly. No known hardware reason why the system is failing using photoshop CS.

Had hoped there would be better info for how to fix, but apparently there is not at this time. I will not bother to check my dell – it has worked for a year without any problems with photoshop 6, only psCS has the crashing problem so far.

Thanks again for the input – I will be sticking with photoshop 6 and just use the other CS products, as they also work fine.

Xag Estri

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections