S
Posted By
suzwil
Apr 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been using PS for years, in fact am an instructor for a community college,I have a fast computer, lots of memory, havent had a bit of problem until now. Everything works fine except when I double click a layer to access layer styles palette, it takes almost a minute and a half to come up. I tried unloading the program and reloading, even took the disk back and got another new piece of software to see if this would help. I dont have a proble with Illustrator, or any other programs on my computer, and everything else in PS runs fine, (i take that back, when I try to go to Edit-Preferences it is very slow also) any suggestions?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

GH
Grass_Hopper
Apr 2, 2004
What OS are you running?

This was a bit of a problem for some folks under Win98SE, if I recall correctly.

Are you running any programs in the background? Utilities, Outlook, Outlook Express, MSOffice etc?

Have you tried to fully reset your preferences? Click here <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?50@@.ef4a07f> for instructions on how to reset the preferences (this is from the FAQ)
L
LenHewitt
Apr 2, 2004
Suzwil,

That’s a problem with Windows ME, and the only cure is a different O/S
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 2, 2004
also win 98, i believe. reinstalling the os MIGHT cure it. for a while…
S
suzwil
Apr 2, 2004
thanks for the help guys, any other operating system you can recommend?
JM
John_Mensinger
Apr 2, 2004
Windows 2000
RL
Robert_Levine
Apr 2, 2004
Win 2K and XP are both rock solid. If you do the upgrade make sure you do a clean install, not an upgrade install.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 2, 2004
Windows 2000

You should check that stutter. You obviously meant XP Pro. 😉
P
Phosphor
Apr 2, 2004
"…any other operating system you can recommend?"

Mac OS X.

It’s what the big kids use!

😉
RL
Robert_Levine
Apr 2, 2004
Mac OS X.

It’s what the big kids use!

Exactly right. I’ll stick to something more for adults. <g>

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 2, 2004
I’ll stick to something more for adults.

OS400?
S
suzwil
Apr 2, 2004
appreciate the help. however as regards Mac OS I worked in a mac lab and we had as many crashes if not more than I do with my windows OS. but, the never ending mac/windows debate will never end I suppose. I once asked a Mac salesman to give me a valid reason why a Mac was worth like three times more than a windows machine and he couldnt come up with one sensible justification.
J
JasonSmith
Apr 2, 2004
"three times more than a windows machine"

once you do the math it isnt quite as much.
RL
Robert_Levine
Apr 2, 2004
Okay, lets stop this right now. And yes, I know I’m guilty, too.

Bob
J
jlgarcia
Apr 7, 2004
One of the reasons for the windows operating system to be very slow are that the registry is full of keys pointing to nowhere or because there are a lot of things left from software been incompletely uninstalled. May be a Registry Cleaner and a defragmentation of the hard drive will do wonders to your system. Just be careful, and make back ups first…. Good Luck

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections