uploaded jpgs no longer viewable by photoshop?

T
Posted By
Theo
Sep 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all

Interesting problem. Some jpgs I uploaded to my website work on the pages, and will work if I download them and open them in a simple viewer. But they will not open in Photoshop, saying there is a disk error. The images are uploaded via the normal HTML post method (multipart/form-data – I think Im using the right one), and them php moves the uploaded file to another directory.

Anyone seen this before?

Thx

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

E
edjh
Sep 30, 2004
Theo wrote:
Hi all

Interesting problem. Some jpgs I uploaded to my website work on the pages, and will work if I download them and open them in a simple viewer. But they will not open in Photoshop, saying there is a disk error. The images are uploaded via the normal HTML post method (multipart/form-data – I think Im using the right one), and them php moves the uploaded file to another directory.

Anyone seen this before?

Thx
What OS? How are they named?

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
T
Theo
Oct 1, 2004
edjh wrote in
news:Mj07d.2476$:

Theo wrote:
Hi all

Anyone seen this before?

Thx

Does it both when running locally on the test server apache/w2k, or when uploading to the remote server (unix/linux) and saving from the browser. The files do have spaces in them, otherwise there arent any illegal characters(‘my file.jpg’) … maybe its the spaces? I will try that. Curious however why a simple viewer would have no problem with the file but photoshop would.
MR
Mike Russell
Oct 1, 2004
Theo wrote:
edjh wrote in

Theo wrote:
Hi all

Anyone seen this before?

Thx

Does it both when running locally on the test server apache/w2k, or when uploading to the remote server (unix/linux) and saving from the browser. The files do have spaces in them, otherwise there arent any illegal characters(‘my file.jpg’) … maybe its the spaces? I will try that. Curious however why a simple viewer would have no problem with the file but photoshop would.

Photoshop has known issues with network files. To isolate this, try copying the files to your hard drive and see if they open correctly. —

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net
T
Theo
Oct 1, 2004
"Mike Russell" wrote in
news:Rw77d.22852$:

Theo wrote:
edjh wrote in

Theo wrote:
Hi all

Anyone seen this before?

Thx

Photoshop has known issues with network files. To isolate this, try copying the files to your hard drive and see if they open correctly.

Thanks, they are on my drive in both cases. Example one: web page running off a server at home. On it is a place for browsing and selecting a jpg to upload. When it does it goes to the proper folder. After that photoshop cannot read it. Example two: operate the same except the web page is on a remote server. Open the web page with the picture on a browser, select the picture and save to desktop… picture isnt readable… by photoshop. Both situations used the same method, and page, to upload the images, either locally or remotely. Kinda funny problem that Im sure has a simple solution ;o)
MR
Mike Russell
Oct 1, 2004
Theo wrote:
[re downloaded jpegs getting damaged]

Check the file lengths. Earlier versions of PHP would truncate binary data in certain situations. It may be that Photoshop is fussier about this than your other programs, or is interpreting EXIF data at the end of the file that is ignored by your simple viewer.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net
I
Ian
Oct 1, 2004
"Theo" wrote in message
"Mike Russell" wrote in

Theo wrote:
edjh wrote in

<SNIP>

Thanks, they are on my drive in both cases. Example one: web page running off a server at home. On it is a place for browsing and selecting a jpg to upload. When it does it goes to the proper folder. After that photoshop cannot read it. Example two: operate the same except the web page is on a remote server. Open the web page with the picture on a browser, select the picture and save to desktop… picture isnt readable… by photoshop. Both situations used the same method, and page, to upload the images, either locally or remotely. Kinda funny problem that Im sure has a simple solution ;o)

I know you said that they are on your HD but does this sound familiar?

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/19dd2.htm?code=TA

Ian
T
Theo
Oct 1, 2004
"Ian" wrote in
news:cjjaeu$get$:

"Theo" wrote in message
"Mike Russell" wrote in

Theo wrote:
edjh wrote in

<SNIP>

I know you said that they are on your HD but does this sound familiar?
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/19dd2.htm?code=TA

Ian

Doesnt sound like it. However after further testing some files are doing this and others are not, yet all were uploaded using the same method (with and without spaces in the filenames). So… I suppose they got messed up another way. More testing :o)

Thanks
T
Theo
Oct 1, 2004
"Mike Russell" wrote in
news:Ci97d.22873$:

Theo wrote:
[re downloaded jpegs getting damaged]

Check the file lengths. Earlier versions of PHP would truncate binary data in certain situations. It may be that Photoshop is fussier about this than your other programs, or is interpreting EXIF data at the end of the file that is ignored by your simple viewer.

I dont think its the absolute latest but would this be considered an earlier version? Im not sure about moving up to v5 yet since the remove server does not use it.
E
edjh
Oct 1, 2004
Theo wrote:
/snip/
Doesnt sound like it. However after further testing some files are doing this and others are not, yet all were uploaded using the same method (with and without spaces in the filenames). So… I suppose they got messed up another way. More testing :o)

Thanks

Could be a hardware problem. Disk or cable. It might be making minute flaws in the file that Photoshop is picky about but other apps ignore. —
Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
CC
Clive Croucher
Oct 2, 2004
Had a similar problem a few months ago when images from one machine would not open in Photochop after trying everything I knew it was suggested that I open them in Irfanview (Available free from www.irfanview.com ) I tried this saved them as *.jpg and averything worked fine afterwards. If it works it is a simple and easy way of solving your problem.

Clive

"Theo" wrote in message
Hi all

Interesting problem. Some jpgs I uploaded to my website work on the pages, and will work if I download them and open them in a simple viewer. But they
will not open in Photoshop, saying there is a disk error. The images are uploaded via the normal HTML post method (multipart/form-data – I think Im using the right one), and them php moves the uploaded file to another directory.

Anyone seen this before?

Thx
T
Theo
Oct 2, 2004
"clive" wrote in
news:cjm3tr$b3l$:

Had a similar problem a few months ago when images from one machine would not open in Photochop after trying everything I knew it was suggested that I open them in Irfanview (Available free from www.irfanview.com ) I tried this saved them as *.jpg and averything worked fine afterwards. If it works it is a simple and easy way of solving your problem.

Clive

Yes. Actually I wouldnt even do that, since it recompresses the file. If I need to I could simply copy the image to the clipboard, then paste it into photoshop. I keep original copies of everything anyway, but Im mostly curious about what the problem was. The bad images came from larger versions that were sized down in photoshop to begin with. Cant get more compatable with photoshop than that ;o)

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections