JB
Posted By
just bob
Oct 2, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Am I the only one who likes to set USM radius values to two decimal places?

If a web image needs hard sharpening I use 300% Amount, .3 Radius, and 0 Threshold.

And if I want subtle sharpening I use 250% Amount and .25 Radius.

But if I repeat the subtle sharpen action CS2 always rounds up the sharpening radius value from .25 to .3

It’s very annoying and I guess I’m alone so I need to find another method unless someone has another suggestion.

Thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

T
toby
Oct 3, 2006
just bob wrote:
If a web image needs hard sharpening I use 300% Amount, .3 Radius, and 0 Threshold.

But if I repeat the subtle sharpen action CS2 always rounds up the sharpening radius value from .25 to .3

It’s very annoying and I guess I’m alone so I need to find another method unless someone has another suggestion.

Don’t sweat it.

Adjusting the application % will be sufficient.

Thanks
DF
Derek Fountain
Oct 3, 2006
just bob wrote:

I always use slightly harsher sharpening than required, then use the fader to reduce it down a bit afterwards. That fader, with preview set, is a much easier tool to use than tinkering with fractions of a percent of radius.
DT
David Thompson
Oct 3, 2006
I always sharpen with this method:
1.Create a duplicate layer
2. Apply "aggressive USM": Amount 200% – 500%, r= 0.5% of viewing resolution, i.e. ~.5 pixel for the web, ~1.5 pixel for 300 DPI ink jet printer, ~3 pixels for 600 DPI for laser printer
3a. Change blend mode to luminance and adjust opacity until I like what I see @ 100% for the web, @ 100 %, 50% and again at 25% for prints. (Photoshop’s display anti-alias tool makes any other Viewing % too "fuzzy" to judge the effect)
If 3a doesn’t provide a good solution, move on to 3b:
Duplicate the sharpened layer
Set one sharpened layer blend mode to "darken" , opacity = 60% – 80% Set the other sharpened layer blend mode to "lighter", opacity = 15% – 30% Method 3b is very powerful and allows agressive, but very subtle sharpening. Creating "sharpening layers" obviously makes for a big file, but it’s infinitely adjustable, non-destructive and the results are worth it. The method effectively yields "2 decimal control" with "1 decimal" settings Regards,
David "Routemeister" Thompson
http://home.rochester.rr.com/backroads/

"just bob" wrote in message

Thanks

———————————————————— ——————– I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 7462 spam emails to date.
Paying users do not have this message in their emails.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections