R
Posted By
rotlex
Jul 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve searched for this, but couldn’t find anything.

I’m wondering what might be wrong with the preview function when I use unsharp mask. (PS CS) The USM dialog box opens, I can change all the settings, but the preview in the little window never changes whether I uncheck the preview box or not. It’s not a show stopper as USM is applied, but rather frustrating if I’m "testing" out different settings.

Anyone ever see this?

Thanks in advance.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MA
Mark_Allen
Jul 23, 2004
rotlex,

chances are the preview is working fine. Usually what you have to do as click and hold inside the preview window and it will show the difference.

To test this, crank the sliders all up to full and see if there’s a difference. Experiment a bit and see what you come up with. Be wary about oversharpening as this can kill an image.

Best setting are about(and I mean ABOUT) Amount 40-60%, Radius 1.0 pixel, Threshold 0. However, as this is such a BIG plug-in and so many reasons why you use it, what I recommend MAY or MAY NOT be of use. You’ve got a powerful tool. Play with it %D

Regards

Mark
JJ
John_Joslin
Jul 23, 2004
You certainly love those Smileys now you’ve found them Mark!

Deliberately not using one.
MA
Mark_Allen
Jul 23, 2004
B(
R
rotlex
Jul 23, 2004
Thanks for the reply Mark! I could have sworn I used to get a preview by just having the box checked, but clicking in the Window does indeed switch between the settings. Who knows, maybe it never did do it, and I had one too many somewhere along the way, LOL.

Anyway, thanks, I really just wanted to make sure something wasn’t wrong.
MA
Mark_Allen
Jul 23, 2004
rotlex,

It’s possibly the "one too many" that didn’t make the difference 🙂

Regards

Mark
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 31, 2004
The preview checkbox controls whether is previews in the main image window or not.

The in-dialog preview is always on, until you click and hold on it (so you can see the unaltered version while you scroll the image around).

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections