B
Posted By
bagal
Aug 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
It may be that some readers have unwttingly purchased non-legit software in one form or another.

What should they do especially if they want to remain on the correct side of the law?

Arty

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

TD
The Doormouse
Aug 22, 2004
"Arty Facting" wrote:

What should they do especially if they want to remain on the correct side of the law?

Contact Adobe. You could always buy a legit copy or wipe the dubious copy.

The Doormouse

The Doormouse cannot be reached by e-mail without her permission.
NC
Nick C
Aug 22, 2004
"Arty Facting" wrote in message
It may be that some readers have unwttingly purchased non-legit software
in
one form or another.

What should they do especially if they want to remain on the correct side
of
the law?

Arty

Software bought through the internet may be difficult to detect if it’s legal or illegal software. Cloning illegal software is an art form that has been fairly close to being perfected. Appropriate product serial number generators may have been used to produce individual product serial numbers that may be accepted by the software company when registering the software.

When attempting to register the use of software, if the serial number has been _cloned_, the software company will send an e-mail letter to the user to remove the software from the computer as it has been identified as being illegal. The letter may also say the software must be destroyed. Some companies keep records of users of software that has been determined to be pirated or otherwise illegal. Should the user of the once recognized illegal software err in asking for assistance, or attempt to upgrade and register the upgrade software as being used to upgrade illegal software, the product company may elect to send a notice of impropriety or a letter of intent to prosecute.

If the user is aware the software is illegal, generally, there is no legal way to make illegal software legal.

An Exception:

If the software has been purchased legally and registered by the purchaser, then later given to another person, the second person who uses the software will be illegally using the software, unless the transfer of the software to the second person has been recognized by the product company. Upon reregistering the software to the second person, the original buyer defaults all claims to the software to the second person, and the original owner must then delete the software from the using computer. After the transfer process has been completed, the software given to the second person may then be legally used by the second person. Note: If the second person uses the software prior to initiating a legal transfer, the second person will, in effect, be using illegal software.

nick
B
bagal
Aug 22, 2004
Cheers The Doormouse and Nick C

I did a bit of looking up on the Microsoft and Adobe websites and there is some wonderful information there too.

Apparently there is an international organisation Business Software Alliance (BSA) that will look into matters too.

If my understanding is correct (and I hope it is) the unwitting buyer of illegal (cracked or copied software) should contact the seller and ask for a legal product. It none is forthcoming then to ask for a full refund.

In either case I understand that the software copyright owner and/or BSA have things they can do too

Mind you, if sellers are sufficiently fraudulent to copy software and pass it off as a legal product I can’t imagine a whole bundle of integrity when it comes to paying a refund (buyer beware n’est pas?)

Coolio and thank you for helping me and other readers stay the right side of the law

Artio

"Nick C" wrote in message
in
one form or another.

What should they do especially if they want to remain on the correct
side
of
the law?

Arty

Software bought through the internet may be difficult to detect if it’s legal or illegal software. Cloning illegal software is an art form that
has
been fairly close to being perfected. Appropriate product serial number generators may have been used to produce individual product serial numbers that may be accepted by the software company when registering the
software.
When attempting to register the use of software, if the serial number has been _cloned_, the software company will send an e-mail letter to the user to remove the software from the computer as it has been identified as
being
illegal. The letter may also say the software must be destroyed. Some companies keep records of users of software that has been determined to be pirated or otherwise illegal. Should the user of the once recognized
illegal
software err in asking for assistance, or attempt to upgrade and register the upgrade software as being used to upgrade illegal software, the
product
company may elect to send a notice of impropriety or a letter of intent to prosecute.

If the user is aware the software is illegal, generally, there is no legal way to make illegal software legal.

An Exception:

If the software has been purchased legally and registered by the
purchaser,
then later given to another person, the second person who uses the
software
will be illegally using the software, unless the transfer of the software
to
the second person has been recognized by the product company. Upon reregistering the software to the second person, the original buyer
defaults
all claims to the software to the second person, and the original owner
must
then delete the software from the using computer. After the transfer
process
has been completed, the software given to the second person may then be legally used by the second person. Note: If the second person uses the software prior to initiating a legal transfer, the second person will, in effect, be using illegal software.

nick

H
Hecate
Aug 23, 2004
On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 03:09:38 GMT, "Nick C"
wrote:

in
one form or another.

What should they do especially if they want to remain on the correct side
of
the law?

Arty

Software bought through the internet may be difficult to detect if it’s legal or illegal software. Cloning illegal software is an art form that has been fairly close to being perfected. Appropriate product serial number generators may have been used to produce individual product serial numbers that may be accepted by the software company when registering the software.

Actually, it’s very easy. Go to any legitimate dealer and look at the price. Then compare that with the price being offered on the "bargain " site. You’d have to be fairly dumb not to realise which is legit and which isn’t. Like all "deals" you see in spam mail and their web sites, if it’s too good to be true, it is.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
R
RSD99
Aug 23, 2004
"Arty Facting" posted:
"…
Apparently there is an international organisation Business Software Alliance (BSA) that will look into matters too.
…."

HeHeHeHeHe …

FWIW: and ‘Old News’ …
Bought, paid-for, and completely/totally financed by a well-known and LARGE software corporation located in Redmond, Washington, USA.

HeHeHeHeHe …
NC
Nick C
Aug 23, 2004
"Hecate" wrote in message
wrote:

It may be that some readers have unwttingly purchased non-legit
software
in
one form or another.

side
of
the law?

Arty

Software bought through the internet may be difficult to detect if it’s legal or illegal software. Cloning illegal software is an art form that
has
been fairly close to being perfected. Appropriate product serial number generators may have been used to produce individual product serial
numbers
that may be accepted by the software company when registering the
software.
Actually, it’s very easy. Go to any legitimate dealer and look at the price. Then compare that with the price being offered on the "bargain " site. You’d have to be fairly dumb not to realise which is legit and which isn’t. Like all "deals" you see in spam mail and their web sites, if it’s too good to be true, it is.

Software that is listed as OEM may be illegal software, sold as OEM software. There is software legally sold as OEM software and there is illegal software sold as OEM software at prices equal to legitimate EOM software. The serial numbers (generated by a serial number generator) associated with the illegal OEM software will be reconized by the software company as being OEM software, legal to use but untitled to support. If the software company isn’t able to recognize the software as being bogus, how would you, a buyer, know the difference between the two.

Snip
DT
deco_time
Aug 23, 2004
In news:Nick C typed:

The serial numbers (generated by a serial number
generator) associated with the illegal OEM software will be reconized by the software company as being OEM software, legal to use but untitled to support. If the software company isn’t able to recognize the software as being bogus, how would you, a buyer, know the difference between the two.

Simple, OEM software is packaged with hardware and it is illegal to resell without said hardware. For instance, I’ve got Reason 2.5 OEM packaged with sound hardware I’ve just bought; Even if I don’t need it, it is quite illegal (or I should say against the EULA) to sell that without the hardware even if I had no use for it. The soft company not knowing about it doesn’t make it any more legit than running a cracked version would be legit because the company doesn’t know.

Odysea video production
Come dive with us!
www.odysea.ca
B
bagal
Aug 23, 2004
Wow – now that is complicated thanks Nick C

See it is complicated …

Arty

wrote:

It may be that some readers have unwttingly purchased non-legit
software
in
one form or another.

side
of
the law?

Arty

has
been fairly close to being perfected. Appropriate product serial number generators may have been used to produce individual product serial
numbers
that may be accepted by the software company when registering the
software.

Software that is listed as OEM may be illegal software, sold as OEM software. There is software legally sold as OEM software and there is illegal software sold as OEM software at prices equal to legitimate EOM software. The serial numbers (generated by a serial number generator) associated with the illegal OEM software will be reconized by the software company as being OEM software, legal to use but untitled to support. If
the
software company isn’t able to recognize the software as being bogus, how would you, a buyer, know the difference between the two.

Snip

NC
Nick C
Aug 23, 2004
"deco_time" wrote in message

The serial numbers (generated by a serial number
generator) associated with the illegal OEM software will be reconized by the software company as being OEM software, legal to use but unentitled to support. If the software company isn’t able to recognize the software as being bogus, how would you, a buyer, know the difference between the two.

Simple, OEM software is packaged with hardware and it is illegal to resell without said hardware.

A scan of the internet will disclose sellers of OEM programs at extremely low prices. They are openly advertised as OEM programs along with the selling company’s name and address, easily traceable by the authorities. I haven’t bought any such programs but I know people who have and have had them registered with the originating company even though the serial number identifies the program as being from an OEM CD.

For instance, I’ve got Reason 2.5 OEM
packaged with sound hardware I’ve just bought; Even if I don’t need it, it is quite illegal (or I should say against the EULA) to sell that without the hardware even if I had no use for it. The soft company not knowing about it doesn’t make it any more legit than running a cracked version would be legit because the company doesn’t know.

Odysea video production
Come dive with us!
www.odysea.ca

DT
deco_time
Aug 23, 2004
X-No-archive: yes
A scan of the internet will disclose sellers of OEM programs at extremely low prices. They are openly advertised as OEM programs along with the selling company’s name and address, easily traceable by the authorities. I haven’t bought any such programs but I know people who have and have had them registered with the originating company even though the serial number identifies the program as being from an OEM CD.

The only software company, that I know off, that is actively pursuing author of this kind of behavior is Autodesk. As an Example, I recently sent an e-mail to BorisFX sales dept. in regard to a sale that was going on on Ebay. The item was advertised at 1/10 of the regular going rate, which made me suspicious, but I enquired nevertheless.
Here’s the reply I got:
X-Apparently-To: ; Tue, 17 Aug 2004 08:45:49 -0700
X-Originating-IP: [xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Return-Path:
Received: from xxxxxxxxxx (EHLO hermes.borisfx.com) (xxxxxxxxxxx) by mta358.mail.scd.yahoo.com with SMTP; Tue, 17 Aug 2004 08:45:49 -0700
Message-Id:
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 11:47:37 -0400
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Is this legit?
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed

Hello,

I can’t guarantee it’s not legit, but, I have a feeling that they might just have a cd and that is it? A cd is no use without a serial number, and
they may not have a manual with it either??

Kind regards,

Maura Walsh
Hi,
I came across this when browsing on E-bay. Any chance of this being legitimate?
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll (addy snipped for obvious reason) The price seems too good to be true.

Theses peoples don’t have a clue, like most soft companies. The chance of having any kind of comeback from using or distributing software illegaly are from slim to none; As soon as that auction ended, the same guy put up another copy of this item back up for auction (which, by then, was clear to me that it was a worthless warez version). Microsoft EULA couldn’t be clearer to the fact that the OEM version of it’s operating system is attached to the machine that it was sold with, but how many peoples do you know install this on numerous machine, even getting them authorized by Microsoft? My point was not what you can/cannot get away with, but what is legit or not.

Odysea video production
Come dive with us!
www.odysea.ca
H
Hecate
Aug 24, 2004
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 03:12:07 GMT, "Nick C"
wrote:

Software that is listed as OEM may be illegal software, sold as OEM software. There is software legally sold as OEM software and there is illegal software sold as OEM software at prices equal to legitimate EOM software. The serial numbers (generated by a serial number generator) associated with the illegal OEM software will be reconized by the software company as being OEM software, legal to use but untitled to support. If the software company isn’t able to recognize the software as being bogus, how would you, a buyer, know the difference between the two.
We’re talking about Photoshop here. PS hasn’t had an OEM version since, IIRC, version 5.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
NC
Nick C
Aug 24, 2004
"deco_time" wrote in message
X-No-archive: yes

The only software company, that I know off, that is actively pursuing author of this kind of behavior is Autodesk. As an Example, I recently sent an e-mail to BorisFX sales dept. in regard to a sale that was going on on Ebay. The item was advertised at 1/10 of the regular going rate, which made me suspicious, but I enquired nevertheless.
Here’s the reply I got:

That’s interesting information. I’m not an e-Bay buyer so I can’t speak from experience as to what might be had through e-Bay. I look at e-Bay as a clearing house for goods. Goods that may have been bought legally or may have been stolen and since I’m in no position to know for a certainty which it is, I don’t buy through e-Bay. All I can say is I can speak from experience in knowing of some people who have bought OEM programs and are using them as registered programs. I don’t know of anyone who didn’t get a serial number along with the OEM programs from company’s openly selling them over the internet. I don’t know if the actual OEM CD’s were pirated or actual releases from the program company; I don’t know how one would tell the difference. No manuals are normally supplied with OEM CD’s and no customer support is normally available for OEM CD’s. So they being unavailable is nothing new.
C
CouldBeMike
Aug 24, 2004
in article _HwWc.57723$
wrote on 08/23/2004 6:18 PM:

I can’t speak from
experience

I’m in no position to know

I don’t know

I don’t know if the actual OEM CD’s were pirated

I don’t know how one would tell
the difference.

Maybe you should keep your unknowing opinions to yourself then.
B
bagal
Aug 24, 2004
Well I guess I can always buy an unconditional OEM version of Office 2003 from MSN Shopping page <tee-hee>

Arty

ROTFLMAO

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 03:12:07 GMT, "Nick C"
wrote:

Software that is listed as OEM may be illegal software, sold as OEM software. There is software legally sold as OEM software and there is illegal software sold as OEM software at prices equal to legitimate EOM software. The serial numbers (generated by a serial number generator) associated with the illegal OEM software will be reconized by the
software
company as being OEM software, legal to use but untitled to support. If
the
software company isn’t able to recognize the software as being bogus, how would you, a buyer, know the difference between the two.
We’re talking about Photoshop here. PS hasn’t had an OEM version since, IIRC, version 5.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
NC
Nick C
Aug 25, 2004
"CouldBeMike" wrote in message
in article _HwWc.57723$

I can’t speak from
experience

I don’t know

the difference.

Maybe you should do the same.
E
Eatme
Aug 25, 2004
Nick! I do believe you have an obsessed fan!

in article _HwWc.57723$, Nick C at

I can’t speak from
experience

I don’t know

the difference.

B
bagal
Aug 25, 2004
Hiya

Perhaps perfection really is an idealism?

I mean I know I can and do get things wrong but I hope that is aprt of a learning process.

A couple of hicks and bumps does not mean a whole corporation or organisation is dreadfully mistaken.

All it means is that there are a couple of hicks and bumps?

Arty

trying to go OOT

I can’t speak from
experience

I don’t know

the difference.

NC
Nick C
Aug 25, 2004
Hi WWW,

Internet conversation seems to be a lost art, replaced by self-serving internet courage.

"The Wild, Wild West" wrote in message
Nick! I do believe you have an obsessed fan!

I can’t speak from
experience

I don’t know

the difference.

NC
Nick C
Aug 25, 2004
Hiya

Perhaps perfection really is an idealism?

Thought for the day?

When in need to post, use poster words out of context to satisfy an urge for childs play.

I mean I know I can and do get things wrong but I hope that is aprt of a learning process.

A couple of hicks and bumps does not mean a whole corporation or organisation is dreadfully mistaken.

All it means is that there are a couple of hicks and bumps?
Arty

trying to go OOT

I can’t speak from
experience

I don’t know

the difference.

T
TheOne
Aug 25, 2004
in article i%UWc.63173$
wrote on 08/24/2004 9:57 PM:

in article _HwWc.57723$

I can’t speak from
experience

I don’t know

the difference.

Nope, they seem to bother you, so it is much more fun to share them, I am sure.
B
bagal
Aug 25, 2004
Oh Mighty One

The answer is: it depends but the lightbulb has to really want to change first

Ah – but what was the question?
A: it was in my ealier post

Artio

"TheOne" wrote in message
in article i%UWc.63173$
wrote on 08/24/2004 9:57 PM:

I can’t speak from
experience

I don’t know

the difference.

Nope, they seem to bother you, so it is much more fun to share them, I am sure.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections