LaCie CRT Monitor Calibration Software (initial settings)

B
Posted By
Bobby77501
Feb 8, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have the LaCie Blue Eye Vision colorimeter for my LaCie Monitor. Before calibration begins, I am asked to set the Gamma, degrees Kelvin and another variable (something like cd/m2 [but may not be exact because I am writing this from a location other than where my hardware resides]). There are no instructions on how to set these parameters and LaCie says they cannot provide any help. The colorimeter sets the monitor’s (LaCie) profile. There are no ‘default’ settings for these three parameters. Can someone guide me through how to set these and what each one does to the monitor profile. Thank you……

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RM
RC Moonpie
Feb 8, 2007
On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 14:04:36 -0500, "Fruit2O" wrote:

I have the LaCie Blue Eye Vision colorimeter for my LaCie Monitor. Before calibration begins, I am asked to set the Gamma, degrees Kelvin and another variable (something like cd/m2 [but may not be exact because I am writing this from a location other than where my hardware resides]). There are no instructions on how to set these parameters and LaCie says they cannot provide any help. The colorimeter sets the monitor’s (LaCie) profile. There are no ‘default’ settings for these three parameters. Can someone guide me through how to set these and what each one does to the monitor profile. Thank you……

I found that LaCie software to be more or less useless. I got better results with Adobe Gamma. I’d suggest you do yourself a favor and buy a thrid party calibrator. Ebay is your friend.

"Hi,
Please check your facts,
Regards."
B
Bobby77501
Feb 8, 2007
I appreciateyour opinion (I really do) – but, even though I don’t know how to correctly set the initial parameters on their driver, I got a monitor profile that works pretty good. Also, went back and checked it against Adobe Gamma and it was pretty close. I’m one of those people who wants to learn how to do ‘better’ all the time. Also, when I purchased the colorimeter, it cost me over $500 and, for that kind of money, I’m going to be stubborn and learn all I can about how to use it. Thanks………

"RC_Moonpie" wrote in message
On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 14:04:36 -0500, "Fruit2O" wrote:
I have the LaCie Blue Eye Vision colorimeter for my LaCie Monitor. Before calibration begins, I am asked to set the Gamma, degrees Kelvin and another
variable (something like cd/m2 [but may not be exact because I am writing this from a location other than where my hardware resides]). There are no instructions on how to set these parameters and LaCie says they cannot provide any help. The colorimeter sets the monitor’s (LaCie) profile. There are no ‘default’ settings for these three parameters. Can someone guide me through how to set these and what each one does to the monitor profile. Thank you……

I found that LaCie software to be more or less useless. I got better results with Adobe Gamma. I’d suggest you do yourself a favor and buy a thrid party calibrator. Ebay is your friend.

"Hi,
Please check your facts,
Regards."
RG
Roy G
Feb 9, 2007
"Fruit2O" wrote in message

You paid real good money for the monitor plus the Calibration device, yet they won’t offer any help in making settings.

Stikes me as being a pretty crappy deal.

The instructions which come with the Spyder 2, are very specific about how to make all those settings.

They are usually done with the Menu Buttons on the Monitor. Kelvin should be set to 6500, Gamma to 2.2. I don’t know about the Cd/m thing cos i still use a CRT.

Roy G
B
Bobby77501
Feb 9, 2007
Thanks – NOTE: I also use a CRT. Luckily, I am using 2.2 and 6500K (don’t understand why though – wish I knew). Can you help here?

"Roy G" wrote in message

You paid real good money for the monitor plus the Calibration device, yet they won’t offer any help in making settings.

The instructions which come with the Spyder 2, are very specific about how to make all those settings.

They are usually done with the Menu Buttons on the Monitor. Kelvin should be set to 6500, Gamma to 2.2. I don’t know about the Cd/m thing cos i still use a CRT.

Roy G
NE
nesredep egrob
Feb 9, 2007
On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 00:41:31 GMT, "Roy G" wrote:

Roy G
I also have a La Cie given to me by my son. He uses them in his business as a still photographer of some repute in London. I was a shop Owner and a TV Tech- nician. Had to deal with the first Colour TV’s coming out of the factories. A lot of valves and therefore a lot of heat in them.
The setup was the difficulty at first until I went to the first Radio Show and spoke to the people at BBC.
They went on about the trouble they have setting up cameras at the start of the day and despised us for unpacking the sets and just selling them like that. He was of course right – factory lasses were setting them up to their own liking and I had no idea at all.
They told us the get a clour bar generator and a monochrome stick. The latter was just a flourescent graduated from 6500 Kelwin to black. After that if something was very wrong we had to take the chassis out and adjust the individual colours (phases) with the generator and the oscilloscope. That final was a rare trouble as that would either be an electronic fault or a new final tester in the factory.
Being that easy and hearing that my son pays many pounds for adjustments every 6 months or so – I am surprised – if you get the monochrome right and set your contrast and brightness once, that should be it. Tell me if I am wrong but talk to me as a technician.

Borge in sunny Perth, Australia
RG
Roy G
Feb 9, 2007
Thanks – NOTE: I also use a CRT. Luckily, I am using 2.2 and 6500K (don’t understand why though – wish I knew). Can you help here?
"Roy G" wrote in message

Roy G

Hi.

If it is a CRT, you need to adjust the Contrast & Brightness Settings also. The Spyder software puts up a grey step wedge, and the controls need to be adjusted so that all steps are visible.

Brightness sets the Blacks, Contrast sets the Whites.

I do not know why – I just know that it is so.
(clever ones – please don’t bother explaining)

Roy G
B
Bobby77501
Feb 9, 2007
Thanks – that’s very helpful!!! I am away from home but will return by tonight or tomorrow. Then I’ll be able to tell you what that other variable is (exactly). I’d really like to find out what it is and what to do with it. It is set, by default, to 100%. Also, what if I were to change the gamma to something other than 2.2 for a starting point? What would that do to the calibration? Same question for the degrees Kelvin? Thanks…….

"Roy G" wrote in message
"Roy G" wrote in message

Roy G

Hi.

If it is a CRT, you need to adjust the Contrast & Brightness Settings also. The Spyder software puts up a grey step wedge, and the controls need to be adjusted so that all steps are visible.

Brightness sets the Blacks, Contrast sets the Whites.

I do not know why – I just know that it is so.
(clever ones – please don’t bother explaining)

Roy G
B
Bobby77501
Feb 9, 2007
Hi and thanks for responding. I am 62 years old and, judging by your response, you are a little older than I am. When a young boy, I worked for a television and radio repair shop. Went on to get a degree in Electronics and was an amateur radio operator for a time – until computers came along (then I sort of lost interest in amateur radio). So, I guess I can talk to you as a technician.

I also used to adjust the color on TVs and understand what you mean. However, in the digital world, in order for the print to look close to what you see on the monitor, you must develop ‘profiles’ of each device. The first step is to develop the ‘profile’ of the monitor (which equates to the old red, blue and green adjustment lines on the picture tube, where they overlapped, being pure white). On a high-end monitor, a graph of the red, blue and green should ideally be a solid line along an axis of the full color spectrum (gamut). At the start of the calibration process, the initial gamma, degrees Kelvin and another variable (???) have to be set according to your preferences. This is the part I don’t understand. After that, it is just a matter of a colorimeter, placed on the monitor screen, electronically adjusting each color, brighness and contrast to match a standard. Then, the ‘profile’ of the monitor is done. Colors should be accurate and detail should be able to be seen in the lightest and darkest part of the image (assuming they are not pure whote or pure black). Then, the printer has to have a profile set so that what you see on the monitor is what is printed (allowing for the different gamuts of the two devices. Color on the monitor is refractive and color on the print is reflective, so there will ALWAYS be SOME differences between the two. Since color on the monitor changes with age, you occasionally have to recalibrate the screen. Hope this helps…….

"nesredep egrob" <Long. -31,48.21 Lat. 115,47.40> wrote in message
On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 00:41:31 GMT, "Roy G"
wrote:

I have the LaCie Blue Eye Vision colorimeter for my LaCie Monitor. Before
calibration begins, I am asked to set the Gamma, degrees Kelvin and another
variable (something like cd/m2 [but may not be exact because I am writing this from a location other than where my hardware resides]). There are no
instructions on how to set these parameters and LaCie says they cannot provide any help. The colorimeter sets the monitor’s (LaCie) profile. There are no ‘default’ settings for these three parameters. Can someone guide me through how to set these and what each one does to the monitor profile. Thank you……

They are usually done with the Menu Buttons on the Monitor. Kelvin should be set to 6500, Gamma to 2.2. I don’t know about the Cd/m thing cos i still
use a CRT.

Roy G
I also have a La Cie given to me by my son. He uses them in his business as a
still photographer of some repute in London. I was a shop Owner and a TV Tech-
nician. Had to deal with the first Colour TV’s coming out of the factories. A
lot of valves and therefore a lot of heat in them.
The setup was the difficulty at first until I went to the first Radio Show and
spoke to the people at BBC.
They went on about the trouble they have setting up cameras at the start of the
day and despised us for unpacking the sets and just selling them like that. He
was of course right – factory lasses were setting them up to their own liking
and I had no idea at all.
They told us the get a clour bar generator and a monochrome stick. The latter
was just a flourescent graduated from 6500 Kelwin to black. After that if something was very wrong we had to take the chassis out and adjust the individual colours (phases) with the generator and the oscilloscope. That final
was a rare trouble as that would either be an electronic fault or a new final
tester in the factory.
Being that easy and hearing that my son pays many pounds for adjustments every 6
months or so – I am surprised – if you get the monochrome right and set your
contrast and brightness once, that should be it. Tell me if I am wrong but talk
to me as a technician.

NE
nesredep egrob
Feb 10, 2007
On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 10:42:46 -0500, "Fruit2O" wrote:

Hi and thanks for responding. I am 62 years old and, judging by your response, you are a little older than I am. When a young boy, I worked for a television and radio repair shop. Went on to get a degree in Electronics and was an amateur radio operator for a time – until computers came along (then I sort of lost interest in amateur radio). So, I guess I can talk to you as a technician.

Yes – just 22 years. I shall chew over the information you gave. As far as I can see it is a lot of mumbo jumbo – I am not critisising you but the idea as a whole. I cannot see there is any way you can adjust the individual colours. Now I also have the benefit of being born in Copenhagen. Remember we have Hans Andersen as one of our story tellers and he was pretty spot on with the Emperors New Clothes. As I told my youngest son when in London last November, beware, read Hans Andersen before you part with more money for setting up any of the screens.

Borge

I also used to adjust the color on TVs and understand what you mean. However, in the digital world, in order for the print to look close to what you see on the monitor, you must develop ‘profiles’ of each device. The first step is to develop the ‘profile’ of the monitor (which equates to the old red, blue and green adjustment lines on the picture tube, where they overlapped, being pure white). On a high-end monitor, a graph of the red, blue and green should ideally be a solid line along an axis of the full color spectrum (gamut). At the start of the calibration process, the initial gamma, degrees Kelvin and another variable (???) have to be set according to your preferences. This is the part I don’t understand. After that, it is just a matter of a colorimeter, placed on the monitor screen, electronically adjusting each color, brighness and contrast to match a standard. Then, the ‘profile’ of the monitor is done. Colors should be accurate and detail should be able to be seen in the lightest and darkest part of the image (assuming they are not pure whote or pure black). Then, the printer has to have a profile set so that what you see on the monitor is what is printed (allowing for the different gamuts of the two devices. Color on the monitor is refractive and color on the print is reflective, so there will ALWAYS be SOME differences between the two. Since color on the monitor changes with age, you occasionally have to recalibrate the screen. Hope this helps…….

wrote:

variable (something like cd/m2 [but may not be exact because I am writing this from a location other than where my hardware resides]). There are no
instructions on how to set these parameters and LaCie says they cannot provide any help. The colorimeter sets the monitor’s (LaCie) profile. There are no ‘default’ settings for these three parameters. Can someone guide me through how to set these and what each one does to the monitor profile. Thank you……

They are usually done with the Menu Buttons on the Monitor. Kelvin should be set to 6500, Gamma to 2.2. I don’t know about the Cd/m thing cos i still
use a CRT.

Roy G
The setup was the difficulty at first until I went to the first Radio Show and
was just a flourescent graduated from 6500 Kelwin to black. After that if something was very wrong we had to take the chassis out and adjust the individual colours (phases) with the generator and the oscilloscope. That final
tester in the factory.
Being that easy and hearing that my son pays many pounds for adjustments every 6
contrast and brightness once, that should be it. Tell me if I am wrong but talk
to me as a technician.

B
Bobby77501
Feb 10, 2007
Hi and thanks for responding. I am 62 years old and, judging by your response, you are a little older than I am. When a young boy, I worked for
a television and radio repair shop. Went on to get a degree in Electronics
and was an amateur radio operator for a time – until computers came along (then I sort of lost interest in amateur radio). So, I guess I can talk to
you as a technician.

Yes – just 22 years. I shall chew over the information you gave. As far as I can
see it is a lot of mumbo jumbo – I am not critisising you but the idea as a
whole. I cannot see there is any way you can adjust the individual colours.
Now I also have the benefit of being born in Copenhagen. Remember we have Hans
Andersen as one of our story tellers and he was pretty spot on with the Emperors
New Clothes. As I told my youngest son when in London last November, beware,
read Hans Andersen before you part with more money for setting up any of the
screens.

Borge

Trust me Borge, it works – and is very necessary to produce accurate prints.

Bob

I also used to adjust the color on TVs and understand what you mean. However, in the digital world, in order for the print to look close to what
you see on the monitor, you must develop ‘profiles’ of each device. The first step is to develop the ‘profile’ of the monitor (which equates to the
old red, blue and green adjustment lines on the picture tube, where they overlapped, being pure white). On a high-end monitor, a graph of the red, blue and green should ideally be a solid line along an axis of the full color spectrum (gamut). At the start of the calibration process, the initial gamma, degrees Kelvin and another variable (???) have to be set according to your preferences. This is the part I don’t understand. After
that, it is just a matter of a colorimeter, placed on the monitor screen, electronically adjusting each color, brighness and contrast to match a standard. Then, the ‘profile’ of the monitor is done. Colors should be accurate and detail should be able to be seen in the lightest and darkest part of the image (assuming they are not pure whote or pure black). Then, the printer has to have a profile set so that what you see on the monitor is
what is printed (allowing for the different gamuts of the two devices. Color on the monitor is refractive and color on the print is reflective, so
there will ALWAYS be SOME differences between the two. Since color on the monitor changes with age, you occasionally have to recalibrate the screen. Hope this helps…….

wrote:

variable (something like cd/m2 [but may not be exact because I am writing
this from a location other than where my hardware resides]). There are no
instructions on how to set these parameters and LaCie says they cannot provide any help. The colorimeter sets the monitor’s (LaCie) profile. There are no ‘default’ settings for these three parameters. Can someone
guide me through how to set these and what each one does to the monitor profile. Thank you……

You paid real good money for the monitor plus the Calibration device, yet
they won’t offer any help in making settings.

The instructions which come with the Spyder 2, are very specific about how
to make all those settings.

They are usually done with the Menu Buttons on the Monitor. Kelvin should
be set to 6500, Gamma to 2.2. I don’t know about the Cd/m thing cos i still
use a CRT.

Roy G
The setup was the difficulty at first until I went to the first Radio Show
and
was just a flourescent graduated from 6500 Kelwin to black. After that if
something was very wrong we had to take the chassis out and adjust the individual colours (phases) with the generator and the oscilloscope. That
final
tester in the factory.
contrast and brightness once, that should be it. Tell me if I am wrong but
talk
to me as a technician.

MR
Mike Russell
Feb 10, 2007

[re calibrating a monitor]
Yes – just 22 years. I shall chew over the information you gave. As far as I can
Andersen as one of our story tellers and he was pretty spot on with the Emperors
screens.

LOL. Yes, but this is not a fair comparison because it gets much colder in Amsterdam than in many parts of the rest of the world, so it is much more obvious when one’s clothes are missing. Truly, you do have a point. It is possible, with care, to adjust your monitor manually, without spending money on additional equipment, though it would appear that you and I stand alone in believing this 🙂

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/
MR
Mike Russell
Feb 10, 2007
"Mike Russell" wrote in message
….
LOL. Yes, but this is not a fair comparison because it gets much colder in Amsterdam

Oops – I meant Copenhagen, which is colder still than Amsterdam. —

Mike Russell
GH
Gernot Hoffmann
Feb 10, 2007
LaCie CRT monitors can be calibrated by test patterns:
http://www.fho-emden.de/~hoffmann/caltutor270900.pdf

This is simple, because the three channels have individual settings for Brightness and Contrast.
Somewhat uncertain is the color temperatur. Because
of adaptation one cannot easily ‘measure’ it by eye+brain.

Doing this manual correction in advance to calibration/
characterization by an instrument is a good starting point.
1. The colors are correct for older programs which reset
the graphic card LUTs.
2. The modifications by LUTs are weak, which prevents
from losing levels.

Best regards –Gernot Hoffmann
NE
nesredep egrob
Feb 11, 2007
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 08:06:32 +0800, nesredep egrob <Long. -31,48.21 Lat. 115,47.40> wrote:

Yes – just 22 years. I shall chew over the information you gave. As far as I can see it is a lot of mumbo jumbo – I am not critisising you but the idea as a whole. I cannot see there is any way you can adjust the individual colours. Now I also have the benefit of being born in Copenhagen. Remember we have Hans Andersen as one of our story tellers and he was pretty spot on with the Emperors New Clothes. As I told my youngest son when in London last November, beware, read Hans Andersen before you part with more money for setting up any of the screens.

Borge

My colour bar generator was a useful item.
The lower half of the screen would be white, the same as the first bar. The flourescent stick was used to set the white to 6500 Kelwin On a TV you could switch off the individual guns and that was a test for quality of each colour. The green gun would give the first 4 bars lit up, the blue would light every second bar starting with the first. The red would be 2 on 2 off and 2 on and finally 2 off.
For that reason when I got the first Colour screen, I wrote a program called colour bar. That would give exactly the same result I used to have on the TV. I consider therefore that any screen I have had my hands on would either pass with 6500K or not. Differences in colour output has never been noticed, probably because everything is now digital whereas each colour in the GOOD OLD DAYS were set in individual circuits all with their own phase and gain control As I could not get to the 3 guns and switch them off without opening a very secure unit I managed to use 3 colour filters, red, green and blue. Viewing the screen with these I could examine the quality exactly as I did in my workshops –

A awful lot of money saved – thanks to Hans Andersen.

K
KatWoman
Feb 15, 2007
[re calibrating a monitor]
screens.

LOL. Yes, but this is not a fair comparison because it gets much colder in Amsterdam than in many parts of the rest of the world, so it is much more obvious when one’s clothes are missing. Truly, you do have a point. It is possible, with care, to adjust your monitor manually, without spending money on additional equipment, though it would appear that you and I stand alone in believing this 🙂

Mike Russell

though it would appear that you and I stand alone
in believing this 🙂

thought I was the only one!!
so far I get good results using Adobe gamma
and checking the charts of gamma scales I found on the net (thanks MIKE)

I cannot and have never got good results letting PS decide the color output for the Epson inkjets
not on the 1270 not on the R1800
wasted ton of ink and paper trying every profile and combo

If I turn it all off it works great!!!! (print color management, not all color mgmt)
(I do embed a profile in the image file in case of printing outside or open on another comp)

windows must be smarter at guessing the colors of the monitor…???

just back from Costa Rica
got some great images to work on…
shot in Adobe RGB instead of sRGB, looking forward to seeing the difference.

Client paid to rent the Mark 2 DS so they are BIG files, 16 megapixels shot in JPG-high opens to a 48 MB file
can’t see any pixelating at ridiculous magnifications…………
MR
Mike Russell
Feb 15, 2007
"KatWoman" wrote

[re calibration schmaibration]

Client paid to rent the Mark 2 DS so they are BIG files, 16 megapixels shot in JPG-high opens to a 48 MB file

Forget about the monitor calibration – tell the rest of us how you get these gigs, KW!

Mike Russell
K
KatWoman
Feb 16, 2007
"KatWoman" wrote

[re calibration schmaibration]

Forget about the monitor calibration – tell the rest of us how you get these gigs, KW!

Mike Russell

talent-strong location shots of women (beach shots) and good studio work for beauty (skin care company)
good reputation-work in same town since 1977, take lots of model composite shots
recommendation-word of mouth

this client has taken us to
Turks-Caicos
British Virgin Islands
Mykonos Greece
and now Costa Rica

original job: the CD saw a beauty photo on a model’s composite of a shot we did
model agent gave our info, submitted portfolio, interview, competitive bid (one other photog was considered)

The CD is no longer hired by them, the job is in-house directed now, but the owners still use us….

these whopper files are killing me here
got about 50 GB of images from one week
took me about 4 hours just to rotate them all!!!

So if we can ever afford to buy that camera we will have to really upgrade the computers too!!
I would need more HD space and some more RAM.

I won’t be able to show images publicly until the campaign goes public (Jan 2008)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections