Posted By
Jack
Sep 14, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi
I’ve found an odd behaviour in CS, and I wondered if anyone else has experienced similar?
After resizing an image to 630×420 pixels @ 72 ppi, I found I could not use any brush tools on it, without receiving a "could not complete your request because of a program error" In several instances, it crashed PS altogether.
I deleted the prefs file, tried reloading the brushes, tried different images….all of them resulted in the same error.
The odd part is that at any other dimension, say 640×426, everything works just fine. I’ve experimented with this for a while, and have yet to figure out why 630 pixels seems to send the program into a fit…any ideas?
Best Regards
Jack

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

N
noone
Sep 14, 2005
In article ,
says…
Hi
I’ve found an odd behaviour in CS, and I wondered if anyone else has experienced similar?
After resizing an image to 630×420 pixels @ 72 ppi, I found I could not use any brush tools on it, without receiving a "could not complete your request because of a program error" In several instances, it crashed PS altogether.
I deleted the prefs file, tried reloading the brushes, tried different images….all of them resulted in the same error.
The odd part is that at any other dimension, say 640×426, everything works just fine. I’ve experimented with this for a while, and have yet to figure out why 630 pixels seems to send the program into a fit…any ideas?
Best Regards
Jack

Jack,

Odd behaviour indeed. I tried re-sizing an existing image to 630x420x72 in CS2 (note Two) and was able to use every tool, with not problems. OS=XPmce SP-1,
3.4GHz, 2GB RAM. I will try this on a CS machine later today, to see if any
problems exist. As for what is happening to you, I do not have a clue. If I get any similar problems in CS1, I’ll let you know.

Meanwhile, good luck,
Hunt
AM
Andrew Morton
Sep 15, 2005
Jack wrote:

Same here – CS on WS2003, P4 3.2GHz, 1GB RAM, HT enabled. Also at 630×419. I can’t be bothered to try any other sizes.

The application event log blames MMXCore.8BX:-
"Faulting application Photoshop.exe, version 8.0.0.0, faulting module MMXCore.8BX, version 8.0.0.0, fault address 0x00028238."

Disabling that plugin by prefixing its name with ~ before starting Photoshop stops the error.

Andrew
MA
Mohamed Al-Dabbagh
Sep 15, 2005
Jack wrote:
Hi

I have NO similar problems.

Mohamed Al-Dabbagh
Senior Graphic Designer

Some of this system info:
Adobe Photoshop Version: 8.0 (ME)
Operating System: Windows 2000
Version: 5.0 Service Pack 4
System architecture: Intel CPU Family:15, Model:2, with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, HyperThreading
Processor speed: 2666 MHz
Built-in memory: 247 MB
Free memory: 70 MB
Memory available to Photoshop: 221 MB
Memory used by Photoshop: 50 %
Image cache levels: 4
Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CS\ Temporary file path: C:\DOCUME~1\pc031\LOCALS~1\Temp\
Photoshop scratch has async I/O enabled
Scratch volume(s):
Startup, 18.6G, 15.7G free
Primary Plug-ins folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CS\Plug-Ins\
J
Jack
Sep 15, 2005
Same results here, Andrew….interesting.
J
Jack
Sep 15, 2005
Thank you all for your time and input. This reminds me of the old Rodney Dangerfield joke:
"Doc, my arm hurts when I lift it like this"
"Then don’t do that."
G
ggull
Sep 15, 2005
By Crom, that’s weird.

Same problem for me (PS CS, Win XP HE SP2).
It even does the same if I just create a new, blank image with 630x420x72. Brush and eraser tools give that error, gradient and crop do work (then the cropped image shows no problem).

Incidentally, I tried changing dpi to different values (100) and same problem at 630×420, and also tried resizing to 631 wide instead of 630, same thing.
TN
Tom Nelson
Sep 15, 2005
No such problem on my Mac G5 with CS2…

In article ,
Jack wrote:

Hi
K
KatWoman
Sep 15, 2005
"Jack" wrote in message
Hi
Best Regards
Jack

Just for fun? I tried a new image at that size
selected brush tool
it CRASHED!!!
…….PS has encountered a problem and will close….

appversion 8.0.0.0 ModName mmmxcore.8bx

PS CS
on WIN XP SP2
1 GB ram
3.0 Pentium
resolution 1024×768
radeon x300 with ati catalyst drivers
J
Jack
Sep 16, 2005
Same thing here, ggull….weird, eh?
G
ggull
Sep 16, 2005
"Jack" wrote …
Same thing here, ggull….weird, eh?

So is this a known bug, an unknown bug, or simply and undocumented feature 🙂 ?
LB
Lefty Bigfoot
Sep 17, 2005
Tom Nelson wrote
(in article
<150920051648278008%>):

No such problem on my Mac G5 with CS2…

Ditto, apart from the top-posting. 🙂

In article ,
Jack wrote:

Hi

_ __ _
| | ___ / _| |_ _ _
| | / _ \ |_| __| | | |
| |__| __/ _| |_| |_| |
|_____\___|_| \__|\__, |
|___/
All of God’s creatures have a place……….
……….right next to the potatoes and gravy.
H
Hecate
Sep 18, 2005
On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 19:10:47 -0400, "KatWoman" wrote:

"Jack" wrote in message
Hi
Best Regards
Jack

Just for fun? I tried a new image at that size
selected brush tool
it CRASHED!!!
……PS has encountered a problem and will close….

appversion 8.0.0.0 ModName mmmxcore.8bx

PS CS
on WIN XP SP2
1 GB ram
3.0 Pentium
resolution 1024×768
radeon x300 with ati catalyst drivers
A couple of versions ago, I think it may have been 7, or possibly 6, there was an MMX related problem which made Adobe release a .01 upgrade. It was specifically an MMX problem related to Intel chips. I wonder if it’s been broken in this latest version?

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections