GT
Posted By
Gordon_T_Jackson
Mar 16, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Upgrade from CS2 to CS4 Extended. How may I retain the document window behavior from CS2? Each new document opened in CS4 now fills the entire screen rather than floating. I cannot find a present to accomplish this.

Thanks

Gordon T

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

I
IRC
Mar 17, 2009
Edit > Preferences > Interface – deselect "Open Documents as Tabs".
GT
Gordon_T_Jackson
Mar 18, 2009
Thank you for your reply. I have unchecked the preference as you advised. After restarting PS, documents still load with tabs and fill the entire work space so that I am unable to drag elements from one to the other. Currently I am forced to copy an element or layer item, open the receiving document by clicking on its tab, then pasting the element. This seems very counter productive. What might I be doing wrong?

Gordon
JJ
John Joslin
Mar 18, 2009
There’s a drop-down menu in the top bar called "Arrange Documents".
F
Freeagent
Mar 18, 2009
Gordon,

Are you drag-and-dropping? If so, you must drag to the menu bar and then release. Otherwise they will still open as tabs, even if tabs are disabled in preferences.
GT
Gordon_T_Jackson
Mar 18, 2009
All right, finally got it! Thanks all.

Gordon
PA
Paul_A_N_Hayes
Mar 19, 2009
I’m also having trouble with this on all of the CS4 suite. I have the preferences to open documents as tabs switched off, but if I drag a file (from Windows Explorer) onto Photoshop, it still seems to open in tabs. Why did Adobe change it? Okay, tabs may be useful, but why not keep the "floating in windows" as the default.

I’m afraid I find most of the changes in CS4 a pain. They are slowing me down as I keep having to relearn how to do things – and most importantly – I don’t think they add anything to the program. If I was more cynical, I might think these were cosmetic changes to justify the upgrade.
F
Freeagent
Mar 19, 2009
it still seems to open in tabs

See #4. That’s just the way it is.

Anyway, the tab thing is probably mainly for consistency between apps. I have to say that tabs work wonderfully in ID and AI, and it makes working with several documents a breeze in those apps (which it wasn’t before).
PA
Paul_A_N_Hayes
Mar 19, 2009
I suppose so, and I agree about Tabs in ID and AI. Strangely enough, Dreamweaver (which always had tabs) opened in separate windows when I first installed the suite. I had to change that to tabs, because that is what I am used to.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections