MO
Posted By
Murray_O_Neill
Oct 23, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I installed CS4 on a Dual Pentium Xeon 2.4ghz Compaq W8000 system with 3GB of RD 800mhz RAM and Windows XP Pro w/SP3 and all updates. The video card is a ATI Radion AGP-3855 w/512 GDDR3 RAM with latest drivers.

When using the clone stamp tool, after making a sourse selection there is a "trail" that follows the cursor to the destination (similar to using a mouse trail so you can tell where the cursor is on a notebook computer)

When the cursor slows down at the stamp destination the "trail" catches up and covers the destination with the sourse "patch" not allowing precise targeting. It is so cumbersome to use as to make the clone stamp tool almost unusable. The density of the "patch" is not affected by opacity settings.

Is this a new behaviour for this tool in CS4? And if so can it be turned off? Do I have a problem unique to my system?

Murray

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CH
CR_Henderson
Oct 23, 2008
Open the clone source panel. Uncheck ‘Show Overlay’.
MO
Murray_O_Neill
Oct 25, 2008
Thanks CR. I guess I missed this new funcionality in CS3. Learned soneting new.

Murray
AR
Anthony.Ralph
Oct 25, 2008
Murray I suppose that the old saying about "ones man’s meat is another man’s poison" is alive a kicking.

I was disappointed that the ‘patch’ feature was not included in CS3 and was really pleased that it was a feature in CS4. (I even put in a feature request for it on the CS3 beta pages at the time, having found it really useful in the vanishing point filter.) I would agree that the degree of opacity is not shown in the patch – which would be a good idea – but seeing the spread and the degree of hardness or softness of the patch is a real boon.

At least it can be turned on and off, so everyone is happy.

Anthony.
MO
Murray_O_Neill
Oct 25, 2008
Hi Anthony,

Good point and thanks for suggesting the clone source features. I can see that it has tremendous potential and will revisit it to see if it will benifit my work. My immediate problem was that overlay was on as a default and it was not obvious to me where to address it.

I have not used this forum before as I have a couple of gurus I lean on, but was really impressed by the immediate help I recieved here.

I am a wildlife-mammal-stock shooter and I have been using Quick Mask, with a feathered brush to make small to medium selections on a, sometimes, flipped version of the image I am working on, or from another one. Moving the selection to a separate transparent (background) layer and then bringing it into my image as a separate layer and aligning it by setting the opacity at 50% and then using rotation, opacity and layer masking to finish the work.I then use the clone stamp at a low (20-50%) opacity to do additional "painting" and to blend the QM object. This approach is cumbersome, but highly effective, however I may be able to use "your" clone source options for simpler or different tasks.

Thanks,

Murray
CC
Chloe_Chapman
Dec 14, 2008
Hi guys,

I am also having cloning problems in CS4. I have this bright spot that won’t let me clone my source point. Anyone experiencing a similar problem?

Thanks

Chloe
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 14, 2008
Can you be more explicit or post a screen shot of the bright spot?
AR
Anthony.Ralph
Dec 14, 2008
Hi guys,

I am also having cloning problems in CS4. I have this bright spot that won’t let me clone my source point. Anyone experiencing a similar problem?

Could the bright spot be the previous selection of the clone source? Until you alt-click to select a new clone source, the old selection remains showing.

Anthony.
CC
Chloe_Chapman
Dec 15, 2008
Hi Anthony and John,

Thanks for your help on this. For some reason, even when I alt-click, it won’t let me make a new selection.

I’m not on my home computer at the moment so I can’t do a screen shot, but basically, the spot that normally makes a selection is whited out and does not change with an alt-click.

To make things worse, a red star keeps appearing and I end up rotating my images with it unintentionally. Does anyone know what this is.

It’s a nightmare, I’ve got some images to edit for a client and I can’t even get my basic adjustments working.

Please help!

Chloë
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 15, 2008
Try resetting your preferences as described in the FAQ.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.ef4a07f/1>

You either have to physically delete (or rename) the preference files or, if using the Alt, Ctrl, and Shift method, be sure that you get a confirmation dialog.

This resets all settings in Photoshop to factory defaults.
CC
Chloe_Chapman
Dec 15, 2008
Thanks John, I’ll try that.
BC
Basil_Crowley
Dec 16, 2008
Murray O’Neill said

My immediate problem was that overlay was on as a default and it was not obvious to me where to address it.

I understand that overlay is always on by default and you have to turn it off each time. Is there any way to set it permanently off by default? I have to say I don’t like it, because I can’t really see what I am doing and it noticeably slows down the painting.
MO
Murray_O_Neill
Dec 16, 2008
Hi Basil,

I set up a special "Workspace" with my custom settings. I saved the workspace the way I wanted it and gave it a name (my own for the sake of simplicity) and now if I want to make sure I am working within the realm I choose I go t0 "Window/Workspace/O’Neill" and this will now be the one that is active each time i start the program, and can be reset if you screw up.

Have a good one!

Murray
BC
Basil_Crowley
Dec 16, 2008
Thanks Murray.
K
KevinThomas
Dec 31, 2008
My CS4 clone stamp tool is all over the page. It will work for a while and then like in a drunken stooper will randomly start placing streaks and spots where ever it feels like it. It is also happening with the brush tool. I tried changing features in the clone source menu but nothing helps. Please help, my workload is mounting.
K
KatWoman
Dec 31, 2008
wrote in message
My CS4 clone stamp tool is all over the page. It will work for a while and then like in a drunken stooper will randomly start placing streaks and spots where ever it feels like it. It is also happening with the brush tool. I tried changing features in the clone source menu but nothing helps. Please help, my workload is mounting.

while in clone tool
go to brush palette and untick scatter or other brush options
SS
Shannon_Shrum
Feb 23, 2009
I am having tremendous problems also. I have a macbook, and have had cs4 for a few months now with no problems…the clone stamp is the tool that i use most often, and for some reason it stopped working today. I can’t get it to do anything. I don’t know if it has anything to do with this, but i opened a new adjustment layer to change saturation on the photo, when i was finished i clicked the clone stamp and it wouldn’t work. I have checked to make sure quickmask is turned off, i have made sure it is on the right layer, i don’t know what it could be

Please help

Shannon
DM
Don_McCahill
Feb 24, 2009
Shannon, your mention of Macbook makes me think you want to be in the Mac side of the forum, not Windows. And both you and Kevin might see your problems fixed by deleting preferences … the Win method is listed in our FAQ. There is probably a different method for Mac.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections