FH
Posted By
Frank_Heller
Oct 7, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In Photoshop CS3 10.0.1, on an Intel 3gHz 8core Mac, I have discovered that Selection/Drag cursor behavior changes at 300dpi, as opposed to 72dpi when the Zoom factor is higher than x600.

Make a rectangular selection on a layer @ 300dpi at a Zoom factor of 700 or above. Click the Command key, as if to drag the selection. The Cursor switches to a Vertical Guide control. Note that the Guide cursor will not only be present when it shouldn’t be, but it won’t move any existing vertical Guides….it actually drops in new Guides….which should only be able to be done by dragging in Guides from the Vertical Ruler.

The behavior returns to normal at a Zoom factor of 600 and below @300dpi.

Try this with a 72dpi drawing and the Selection Cursor will never switch to a Vertical Guide tool regardless of Zoom factor.

By the looks of it, this would appear to be a bug.I don’t think it’s supposed to work this way

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 7, 2008
Perhaps it’s another Leopard problem?

I get the normal expected behaviour when I try your test on a G5 running 10.4.11.
FH
Frank_Heller
Oct 7, 2008
I am running 10.5.5,and I can consistently get this to happen on my rig. I’d be more than happy to post a video of it happening on YouTube.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 7, 2008
Then it obviously is purely a Leopard problem.

Perhaps you will find that the issue has been resolved in CS4.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Oct 7, 2008
How do we come to this ‘obvious’ conclusion? It might be correct that Leopard is the problem but there are too many unexplored variables (Intel vs PPC, befuddled preferences, or any other system quirk) to make a definite conclusion.

Someone else with Photoshop CS3 10.0.1 on an Intel Mac with 10.5.5 will need to verify if this is a consistent issue.
FH
Frank_Heller
Oct 7, 2008
Well then, maybe someone with an Intel box running Leopard can duplicate. Then, if Adobe didn’t catch it, perhaps they’ll have time to fix it before they ship at the end of the month 🙂 In any event, I have documented the problem and posted it.

Not much more I can do.
B
Buko
Oct 7, 2008
Then, if Adobe didn’t catch it, perhaps they’ll have time to fix it before they ship at the end of the month

very doubtful
FH
Frank_Heller
Oct 7, 2008
"very doubtful"

I used a smiley emoticon because I couldn’t find a "When Hell Freezes Over" emoticon.
P
PShock
Oct 8, 2008
How do we come to this ‘obvious’ conclusion?

Don’t you know it’s ALWAYS Leopard’s fault according to this crowd. Usually goes something like this:

"I have a problem."

"Do you use Leopard"?

"Yes".

"That’s the reason – switch to 10.4"

FUD …

Someone else with Photoshop CS3 10.0.1 on an Intel Mac with 10.5.5 will need to verify if this is a consistent issue.

Mac Pro/10.5.5/PS 10..0.1 …
I’d say this is a machine/user-specific problem because it doesn’t happen here. Command key gives the normal "scissors" cursor and dragging the selection floats it like normal until dropped.
FH
Frank_Heller
Oct 8, 2008
Make sure some Guides are already laid in and visible. Bring Zoom up to 1600x and try it. And use a BIG file. 50 or more layers with effects…then, at least, you’ll be duplicating as close to what I get it with.
R
Ram
Oct 8, 2008
Frank,

In any event, I have documented the problem and posted it.

Not much more I can do.

WRONG!

Posting here doesn’t do a thing. You’re not addressing Adobe here.

File a formal bug report through the Contact link at the top of this page if you want Adobe to know about this.
P
PShock
Oct 8, 2008
Still not happening here, Frank.

350MB image – 40 or so layers with some applied styles / adj layers / layer masks / clipping masks …

Even zoomed in 1600% and making a selection right next to a guide, behaviors are normal (and that includes moving guides).

Try it in a new user account.

-phil
DR
David_R_Jenkins
Jan 12, 2009
This is the behavior I was just searching the forum for. I’m using CS under 10.4.9 on a Quad G5 and this consistently happens, driving me nuts. When I should be in a mode to move an object the "move guide" tool cursor displays and drops a new guide if you click. Unable to move selected object.

This is with gigantic files (4×5 ft, 2400 dpi, 6 channels). (Open, the document reads as 68.3G/41.8G).

So it’s happening to at least two people, with different versions of PhotoShop and different versions of OS X.
R
Ram
Jan 13, 2009
4×5 ft, 2400 dpi

??? !
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 13, 2009
David,

Basics first: why do you need/how are you using such a large file at such a high resolution? What are your system specs, including RAM, free hard drive space, etc.?

The one recommendation off the bat is to update to 10.4.11.

Neil
DR
David_R_Jenkins
Jan 13, 2009
These are screened, trapped computer-to-plate separation files for wall-size bus maps (line art, type, etc.). We create them on a proprietary system then make 6-channel composite .psb files for touch-ups, then back to binary TIFF separates. 2400 dpi is the resolution of the printing contractor’s platemaker.

If I’m using 10.4.9 and Photoshop CS on a G5 and the other person with the problem is using Leopard and CS3 on Intel, I don’t think updating my system is going to change anything, though I could do that. Looks like it’s a consistent problem with large files.
DR
David_R_Jenkins
Jan 13, 2009
Forgot system specs; Quad 2.5GHz G5, 4Gb RAM, 500 Gb internal drive with system/documents/apps, 250Gb internal drive exclusively for scratch disk. Photoshop 8.0×119.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 13, 2009
David,

My reaction:

I would supply Illustrator vector art at a tiny fraction of the size, not as huge Photoshop files.

Also, I prepare art for print all the time that has to be separated and commercially offset printed. My art is 300 ppi (plus any vector art, such as type and Illustrator art). It gets separated on the fly at a very high dpi-rate (2400 and higher) by filmmaking or platemaking equipment. No problem.

In addition, if I were doing such posters had Photoshop content, I would be using a coarser resolution as they are not read from the same reading distance as books and magazines are. My art could be just 100-150 ppi.

You should still update YOUR system to 10.4.11 for the bug, stability, and other fixes they bring.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 13, 2009
David,

Other issues aside, as for your system specs, they’re rather meager for files of the size you are generating. You should max out the RAM and consider massively larger hard drives.

Neil
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Jan 13, 2009
I’m not going to argue what your system/workflow requires but a rough math guess figures you must be working with a bus that is 40 feet long and 32 feet high at a final resolution of 300 ppi. That seems like overkill and a bit of a miracle that such an image can be produced on your system.
DR
David_R_Jenkins
Jan 13, 2009
Yes, please don’t argue with my workflow! I’m producing 6-color, 4 x 5-foot bus maps that go in the subway stations in NYC. Our Intergraph Map Publishing system allows me to do all sorts of things that you can’t do in Illustrator, and I’m perfectly happy with it (and my printing contractors love me – my TIFFs are imaged right onto the plates and that’s that). The G5 Quad handles the files fine, no problems (a previous G5 Dual was not up to the task at all).

My only problem is the object move tool changing to a "move guide" tool when zoomed in, just like the problem the original poster had.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 13, 2009
David:

You are confusing the output resolution of the plate maker’s 2,400 DOTS per inch (dpi) with the necessary resolution for your Tiff files in PIXELS per inch (ppi).

You do not need to save your files at 2,400 ppi for this purpose and may actually need only 60 ppi for this job.
JM
J_Maloney
Jan 13, 2009
What about when you use command to invoke the move tool? Does it still act up?
DR
David_R_Jenkins
Jan 13, 2009
My tiff files are TYPE and 133-lpi SCREEN DOTS and LINEWORK and are prepared at the resolution of the platemaker. Works fine, beautiful maps, precise CADD drawing, I couldn’t be happier.

I know what I’m doing, it’s an unusual workflow, I just wanted to confirm the bug that was originally reported!
DR
David_R_Jenkins
Jan 13, 2009
Yes, whether you select the tool in the tool palette or use the command key, you get the "move vertical guide" icon, and dragging it will create a guide and move it. The only way to move anything is with the arrow keys.

What about when you use command to invoke the move tool? Does it still act up?
JM
J_Maloney
Jan 13, 2009
Resetting the move tool doesn’t help? Reset prefs? Life without the move tool sounds … just awful. 🙁 And don’t forget shift arrow for faster movement. 🙂
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 13, 2009
David,

I’ve been preparing art for print for decades. Literally. And I’ve seen your maps and they’re very nice. And I’m not trying to be argumentative. But, I think most print professionals here will agree that your workflow is serious overkill — I would guess to ensure crisp linework and type, and because you are using .tif files.

As I see it, .tif is the wrong format unless you mean the old tiff/it file format. And even that (at least in the newsstand publications world) has been supplanted by PDF/X-1a where type and linework can remain vectors.

Neil
FH
Frank_Heller
Jan 14, 2009
"So it’s happening to at least two people, with different versions of PhotoShop and different versions of OS X."

Trashing prefs, trying a new user account didn’t make a difference for me. This is a really annoying bug. And since I first wrote the post I have discovered it has carried over to CS4 as well.

Maybe this will narrow it down:

In a 300dpi image, Zoom to x800
Drop some guides in. Leave them visible.
Pick a layer with something in it.
Make a rectangular selection.
CMD/Drag the selection. The selection will move.
Zoom to x1200 or x1600
As soon as CMD is pressed, the Guide tool cursor appears and creates a Guide instead of the Select/scissors cursor.

Do this in a 72dpi image and the selection can be moved at any Zoom factor. The Selection cursor will not change to a Guide cursor.

PS/CS3 or CS4 10.5.6 on an 8core PowerMac Pro.

This one is driving me nuts.
P
PShock
Jan 14, 2009
I just repeated the test in PSCS4 and still get normal behavior. 200, 600, 800, 1600, and 3200% zoom levels all work as expected.

And no, I didn’t create a 45GB+ file to test, nor am I using a "PowerMac Pro". 😉

Mac Pro 2.66 | 12GB RAM | 10.5.6 | Radeon 3870 | 375MB file w/ 47 layers.

No help, I know but at least it illustrates this isn’t a widespread problem.

-phil
FH
Frank_Heller
Jan 15, 2009
"…but at least it illustrates this isn’t a widespread problem." That’s funny. If you were to extrapolate from the posts here, you could construe that to mean 25% of PS users suffer from this. 8 posters, 2 with the problem. Isn’t data skewing fun? 🙂
R
Ram
Jan 15, 2009
Bad logic, even worse extrapolation.

Only a minute percentage of users who are not experiencing problems bother to post here. Practically all of those with problems post.

Your figures would then be 2 users in thousands, perhaps tens or hundreds of thousands have the problem. A statistically insignificant number.

😀
FH
Frank_Heller
Jan 15, 2009
Yet another humorless exercise in circular reasoning, eh, Ramon?

See if you can trace this circle: The reason there aren’t more posters chiming in here is because you and the rest of the self-aggrandizing thread poisoners have scared ’em all off. People read this stuff and they think: why bother? Who needs this kind of abuse?
GP
Gary_Politzer
Jan 15, 2009
This might or might not be related, but I have noticed for some time now, and on several machines, that moving guides above a certain zoom factor is unreliable. The move cursor will tend to create a new guide as often as moving the guide I am attempting to move. Of course, I will immediately be told that I am the only one who has ever seen this happen;)
R
Ram
Jan 15, 2009
Frank Heller is being more than a tad sanctimonious. He proves it by once again resulting to insults.

How is making people aware that it is possible to run the program without seeing their issue "abuse" of any kind? This is meant to encourage to try and find the cause of their issues on their setups.
R
Ram
Jan 15, 2009
Gary,

Yes I have seen the creation of a new guide when I’m trying to move an existing one. In my case, I have always attributed it to user error on my part.

Perhaps you’d care to describe the conditions under which you think this problem can be reproduced?
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 15, 2009
Frank,

Yet another humorless exercise in circular reasoning

I read the relevant posts. There was nothing inappropriate posted.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 15, 2009
Frank,

Yet another humorless exercise in circular reasoning

I read the relevant posts. There was nothing inappropriate posted prior to your response.

Neil
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Jan 15, 2009
Neil, are you blind?

The inappropriate post comes from Ramon who considers another’s problem part of an ‘insignificant’ number. If you are the one having a problem, no number is insignificant. Explain why Ramon needed to capitalize ‘WRONG!’ as his very first post in this thread. Why can’t you realize the animosity of your regulars and tame them so this place is more inviting? Why can’t you conprehend the entire text in post #31? Is the capitalized ‘WRONG’ response from Ramon any clue that he gets off by thinking he proves others to be in error? Is the comment "He proves it by once again resulting to insults" the most ironic comment that could come from Ramon?

Seriously, are you blind? 🙂

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections