CS Upgrade – Overall…..are you happy with it?

J
Posted By
JMF
Jan 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I generally don’t like to upgrade programs as soon as the new versions come out becuase of all the bugs that need to be identified and worked out.
However, I’m tempted to buy CS.
I see several references to it here, with complaints of various severity. Overall, would you recommend upgrading to it or waiting? Thanks.
J

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

H
Ho
Jan 23, 2004
I think I would wait for the .01 patch, especially if you are happy with the version of PS that you are using now. There is no way of knowing whether you will be among the majority who have no serious issues with CS or find yourself in the minority who think it to be cursed.

I still use PS6 for most of my work, although I find myself using CS more and more. I guess if you can’t wait (I couldn’t) you can do what many of us have done and install it to a separate folder (NEVER install a new version on top of an old one) and take it for a spin. If it coughs up a hairball on you, at least you can still get work done in your old version.
G
Gener
Jan 23, 2004
I got an incentive to upgrade being a NAPP member. They offered a discount on the upgrade that took care of California sales tax and shipping 🙂

Performance wise…it’s fine, no crashes or other odd behavior. Activation went well.

Browser is way better, a nice way to run actions on batches w/o opening the files.

Other pluses "layer comps" for viewing different arrangements on layered files, nested layers, and a history log where you keep tabs on what you did to a file and when.

That’s just a few…I’ll leave what’s important to others.
CB
chobb_barnett
Jan 23, 2004
I *strongly* suggest you download the 30-day trial and see if your system takes it OK. We were going to get 10 copies but due to the frustrating slowness, we’re sticking with PS 7.

I’ve tried it on 4 different PCs here at work and it runs *very* slow. The PCs are 3GHz/SCSI/1.5GB RAM types.

The new features aren’t huge leaps, but they are nice.

Chobb
JF
John_Fagerberg
Jan 23, 2004
I moved up from PS6 to CS. I’ve run into several things that bug me, but overall I’m satisfied.

I do not use Adobe’s RAW file import. I did not put EXIF info in the right places and so NeatImage Pro could not retrieve the info (I’m using WRMFormat instead). This is probably the biggie of the issues for me.

I ran into an issue modifying color profiles in CS. But PS6 does it correctly, so I go back there to do that kind of stuff.

John
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 23, 2004

yup.
MS
Marc_Sublet
Jan 23, 2004

me not, back to the 7.0.1 – CS is too s-l-o-w (20 sec to open a 150 Mb file and 4-5 sec for PS7!). It seems to have an issue with 2 Go of DDR400 Dual Channel (and I have 2Go of DDR400…) and cache level value too.

It has some nice features (lens blur, 16 bits, raw) but I prefer to have a faster ps7.
P
pope
Jan 23, 2004
CS is perfect for my work (stock photography). Best feature: shadows/highlights…salvages lots of scanned old photos. Haven’t used PS7 since. (one exception; the $20 bill crisis)
N
nagash
Jan 23, 2004
Yes happy with the upgrade but disgusted/insulted/sick with "hidden feature (CDS)".

Because of this "hidden feature " I will never be able to trust Adobe again. Who Can?
NV
Neil_Vanderwolf
Jan 23, 2004
Couldn’t be happier, lots of new improvements over PS7. I really don’t know why other people are having troubles with it running slow, it runs just as fast, if not slightly faster than PS7 on my system. Athlon XP1800+, 768mb, 8mb 7200rpm HD.

Neil
N
nagash
Jan 23, 2004
Neil I have almost the same settings. What are your memory setting set to?
PC
Philo_Calhoun
Jan 23, 2004
I’m very happy. I don’t see the slowdowns others discuss. The 16 bit adjustment layers, shadow highlight, heal to new layer, and photo filters (least important) are great.
NV
Neil_Vanderwolf
Jan 23, 2004
Nagash,

I have Photoshop using 74% of the available RAM and everything works great.

Neil
J
JMF
Jan 23, 2004
Thank you all for sharing your experiences.
What is the CDS Hidden Feature?
J.
FN
Fred_Nirque
Jan 23, 2004
JMF,

<<GROAN>>

I think you’ll find that in the lounge – about 1213 comments in the thread, so you should get the info you need.

Please don’t bring that one back into this forum.

Fred.
H
heathrowe
Jan 23, 2004
hey – hows it going…
just curious, with the allocated memory set that high – how do u find it for multi-tasking…
i mean just jumping from/to imageready or any othe of the suite programs???

heathrowe
J
JMF
Jan 23, 2004
You could just as easily have answered the question as taken the time to tell me to go somewhere else for the answer.
It was not me that brought it up – someone else did and I wondered what he meant.
I
ID._Awe
Jan 23, 2004
JMF: Quite simply CS will not scan the latest currencies due to an algorithmn that is embedded in the code that looks for certain security features in the paper.
J
JMF
Jan 24, 2004
ID Awe,
Thank you for taking the time to explain that.
I guess that’s not a big deal to me, so I don’t see it as a problem.
I
ID._Awe
Jan 24, 2004
I think it was the ‘Big Brother’ question that got everyone going. It was a non-starter for me, I’d just use PS 7 for that.
FN
Fred_Nirque
Jan 24, 2004
JMF,

Sorry, I didn’t mean to sound so blunt, but if you wade through the thread in the lounge you might see why I did the <groan> thing – it’s one of the more tedious things that’s happened in this forum, and the sort of thing that compels forum moderators to resign……

You still with us, Len?

Fred.
MA
Mark_Allen
Jan 24, 2004
I think he is and a lot wiser.

Regards

Mark
J
JMF
Jan 24, 2004
Fred,
No problem. I understand.

ID Awe – you say you’ll just use version 7 for that. You mean you’re counterfeitting money?
FN
Fred_Nirque
Jan 24, 2004
Too late, they’re back – "No wonder Photoshop CS seems slow………………."

Fred.
JJ
Jerry_Jensen
Jan 24, 2004
Other than my unhappiness about the Adobe deceptions, I haven’t had any problem with CS. No crashes, hang-ups or slowness. Works fine here.
M
mistermonday
Jan 24, 2004
Fred, Dirck set that thread to read only and it has now fallen into the fires of Mount Doom. Rgds, MM
FN
Fred_Nirque
Jan 24, 2004
MM,

Unless you’re looking at a different forum topics page to me, it’s been restarted back here in the main user to user forum.

Time somebody took a lump of 2 by 4 to it.

Fred.
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 24, 2004
ID Awe – you say you’ll just use version 7 for that. You mean you’re counterfeitting money?

LOL! BUSTED!!!!!!!!! 🙂
I
ID._Awe
Jan 24, 2004
Nah, the works already been done and passed on from my hands. See… no ink smudges!
BW
Brian_Wilen
Jan 24, 2004
Thank God I won’t be upgrading to CS!

I mean, nothing works! LOL

Look at the bloody CS Complaint/Error Topic!

264+ complaints

Oh, and this money imaging protocol Adobe Installed…

Sure, its good intentions to prevent fraud… But they need the BRAINS to make another version specificly for those who deal with money! I mean… DUH!

Adobe really dropped the ball on this one…

I mean, I love their products, I own and use Adobe Photoshop 7.0 myself, I enjoy it quite alot.

But there is no way in hell that I’m upgrading to CS, cuz judging from what I’ve seen and heard, My computer will be on the junk heap sooo fast!

Well, thats my two cents…

Adobe, if your reading this, don’t release a product that has major flaws… I mean, is your product testing department full of rats tied to keyboards? Or do you even have a PTD?

Well, forgive my raving mad opinion folks, I support adobe for their products, but they just dropped the ball on this one… Sure, CS has great features… but when they work!

Anyway, Thanx for reading

Sincerely

Brian
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 24, 2004
I mean, nothing works! LOL

Wrong. I’m completely happy with cs (aside from activation, and cds), but technically, it’s a great program.

Look at the bloody CS Complaint/Error Topic!

Realize that this board is mostly populated by people who have PROBLEMS with their systems. The VAST majority of users have no problems so never post.

quite alot.

a lot. 2 words. 🙂
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 24, 2004
Brian,

You’ve got an awful lot to say for someone who’s never even tried the product.

Bob
I
ID._Awe
Jan 25, 2004
Re: "The VAST majority of users have no problems so never post" or they don’t know about the forums, their bosses won’t let them go online without getting …. or their internet connection is screwy, they can’t activate CS and………………..etc., etc., etc!
SL
steve_lambie
Jan 30, 2004
So far I like CS… except there’s a few bugs with my mouse. I doubt its PS and its just me. Does anyone know how to set your wheel mouse so that when you hold it down you get the HAND TOOL… all my drivers are updated. There is probably a preference window I’m not able to find. I’ve always had this option activate automaticly.
WB
Wild_Bill
Jan 30, 2004
Can not cannot be two words.

Alot can not be two words.

Rememberthat.
WB
Wild_Bill
Feb 2, 2004
On the advice of post #3, I downloaded the 30 day trial. It installed flawlessly, and it is working flawlessly. What bugs?

Incidentally, the few new features that I’ve tried, like correcting shadows and the ability to adjust the quality of images in the contact sheet function, which I use alot makes this update something I can not pass up.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections