Phil_J_Rose
Jan 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,

Long time listener…

I have a client who wants me to print out images that are black and white gifs. She wants them to be as good quality as is possible but right now, at 1:1 scale they are about 70dpi. What is the best way for me to go about this bearing in mind that my budget is zero in terms of buying software. Actually I could probably stretch to maybe $30 for some shareware. Anyone know of one that will up a 70dpi image to something at least reasonable for printing? Is there a way to do it with PS7 alone?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer, you’re all gems.

Phil

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BO
Burton_Ogden
Jan 18, 2004
Phil,

I suggest you try the free 30-day demo of Extensis’ pxl SmartScale:

<http://www.extensis.com/pxlsmartscale/index.html>

The demo may be fully functional, although I can’t confirm that. But if it were fully functional, that could solve your current problem.

— Burton — (not associated with Extensis)
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 18, 2004
Silk purse, sow’s ear.

Mac
GH
Gary_Hummell
Jan 18, 2004
What pixel dimensions are the original files? What size prints are being requested? The resolution may be 70 ppi but what really matters is how many pixels you have to work with. Photoshop Bicubic and nearest neighbor upsampling do well.

Gary
SG
shecky_greene
Jan 18, 2004
Silk purse, sow’s ear.

Lot easier to go from silk purse to sow’s ear than sow’s ear to silk purse, though.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 18, 2004
Lot easier to go from silk purse to sow’s ear than sow’s ear to silk purse, though.

That’s a fact! 🙂

Mac

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections