Clone Stamp Tool Cross-Hair Always Visible?

BT
Posted By
Bart the Gaul
Apr 18, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a question about the clone stamp tool – normally the cross-hairs that show where you are copying from only appear when the mouse button is pressed. This is a bit late, really – I would prefer to be able to see where I am copying from *before* I press the mouse button (without having to necessarily alt-click each time). Is there any way to set Photoshop to display the cross hairs permanently?

TIA

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

ML
m.lieberman
Apr 18, 2005
Bart the Gaul wrote:
I have a question about the clone stamp tool – normally the cross-hairs that show where you are copying from only appear when the mouse button is pressed. This is a bit late, really – I would prefer to be able to see where I am copying from *before* I press the mouse button (without having to necessarily alt-click each time). Is there any way to set Photoshop to display the cross hairs permanently?

Can’t you just hold the <ALT> key down while you are moving the mouse? The cross hairs are visible when I do that. Then, when it is lined up properly, click the mouse button.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ The News Guy(Mike) – Seinfeld Lists
+ (two mirrored sites)
+ http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
+ http://wave.prohosting.com/tnguym
+ All things Seinfeld; scripts, trivia, lists,
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
BT
Bart the Gaul
Apr 18, 2005
Hi Mike,

Thanks for that – I’ll give that a try to see how I get on with it, but it’s still not really quite what I’m after because when you press ALT the destination point is not visible. I’m actually more used to using Corel PhotoPaint and have recently started using Photoshop more. In Corel both source and destination cursors are always visible, so if you have a number of specks on your image you can set an "offset" and just keep cloning out the specks. You only have to reset the source point if you can see that the it has moved into an area of the image that is not suitable for your latest speck. Not the end of the world, but I do find that this makes the job of cloning much more efficient.

Cheers,
BTG
N
noone
Apr 19, 2005
In article ,
says…
Hi Mike,

Thanks for that – I’ll give that a try to see how I get on with it, but it’s still not really quite what I’m after because when you press ALT the destination point is not visible. I’m actually more used to using Corel PhotoPaint and have recently started using Photoshop more. In Corel both source and destination cursors are always visible, so if you have a number of specks on your image you can set an "offset" and just keep cloning out the specks. You only have to reset the source point if you can see that the it has moved into an area of the image that is not suitable for your latest speck. Not the end of the world, but I do find that this makes the job of cloning much more efficient.

Cheers,
BTG

Maybe I missed something, but if you wish to use the same source for Cloning in PS, uncheck Aligned, in the Options toolbox, and you will always use the original source. OR, maybe that is not what you want to do.

Hunt
BT
Bart the Gaul
Apr 20, 2005
No, I am wanting to keep the Aligned option on so that I am continuously sampling a point near where I am working. Still – it sounds like what I want is not available – never mind!!

Thanks, anyway for your suggestions!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections