Posted By
Anestis_Tsiourantanis
Nov 18, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I reset Photoshop’s preferences.
I reset the brushes in the Brushes Palette.
Other Dynamics & Airbrush were checked on.
Tried cloning, same results.
Unchecked everything in the Brushes Palette
same results.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Nov 19, 2008
On my G5 running CS4 in OSX 10.4.11, the only way that I can obyain anything like the effect which you are describing is with a brush set to use Wet Edges — and it accentuates of course in the darkening modes like Multiply.

Perhaps it is yet another Leopard issue?
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Nov 19, 2008
There’s a bug Andrew is CS3 (and I think it was in CS2 as well) – which continually sets the "aligned" checkbox. Sounds like you have a slightly more serious problem with it, maybe to do with your mouse or wacom settings, making the double click that checks the aligned box more easy to do?

My far fetched theory about this is that they maybe tried to produce some kind of shortcut to activate and deactivate ‘aligned’ while developing new clone funcionality. When it didn’t work out, they had a bug which they couldn’t get rid of.

Its something that they never sorted, certainly while CS3 was on the shelves.
MN
Michael_N_Wolff
Nov 19, 2008
I am wondering if the clone stamp tool still behaves the same way in CS4? I am still using CS3.

Evidently Adobe doesn’t consider the aligned button becoming activated much of a problem. It is a nuisance for me as I tend to work very fast when cloning. If one is cloning from a source point that is only a few pixels away and cloning very fast, invariably aligned becomes checked.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Nov 19, 2008
Mark:

I don’t think that it is a Bug, I think that it was planned this way:

Single Option Click sets Source but does NOT activate the Aligned box;

but

DOUBLE Option Click sets Source and also checks the Aligned box.

(Still the same way in CS4.)
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Nov 19, 2008
Well if its planned that way, then its planned for Grandpa. Wheres the shortcut for setting aligned OFF then? – since anyone who uses the stamp regularly has to irritatingly do this about 50 times a day
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Nov 19, 2008
Meaning that "Grandpa" has better control of his stylus than you do?!!

All that you need to do is to stop double-clicking while the Option key is down!

8/
MN
Michael_N_Wolff
Nov 19, 2008
The problem is Ann, that if you clone and alt click at a very fast pace within a small area i changing your source point fairly regularly invariably you trigger aligned to become switched on. If Adobe means for this to be a shortcut, they should allow you to disable it in the preferences menu. I find it a very annoying shortcut if indeed that is what it is intended to be! Adobe doesn’t list it under keyboard shortcuts so if it is a shortcut, it is an unlisted one. One would have to work at a pace like Grandpa to not accidently trigger this toggle on during a day of active retouching!
JB
jim_burk
Nov 23, 2008
My clone stamp tool is inoperable in CS3. It has never functioned. I have an Imac with Leopard. When I select the tool and option click I get the cursor for the move tool. When I go to use the brush that shows after the option click, it tells me to select a point by option clicking which I have just done. I have a couple of e-mails into Adobe, have dumped my preferences etc. but still no luck.
NK
Neil_Keller
Nov 23, 2008
Did you reset the tool’s preferences?

Neil
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Nov 24, 2008
Normally the COMMAND(apple) key behaves in the way you have described jim. Your problem is either one of two things – are you sing a strange keyboard or have any other software installed which changes the key mapping? – or are you just not sure which key on your keyboard actually IS the option/alt key?
JB
jim_burk
Nov 26, 2008
I had several exchanges with Adobe help through e-mail. I dumped the preferences. I went to keyboard and mouse and restored defaults. I re-installed Photoshop. As you say the option key acted exactly the same as the command key and kept on doing it no matter what I did. Finally I contacted Adobe Help toll free. Finally the Adobe helper had me create a new user name, then go to Applications/Utilities/Adobe Installers and uninstall Adobe CS3. I then reinstalled and the clone stamp worked.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Nov 26, 2008
Just make sure that you don’t DOUBLE click while the Option key is down for you to choose a source-point.

DOUBLE clicking resets the Clone to Tool to "Aligned".

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections