W
Posted By
whatsis
Feb 22, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve got a number of jpg’s like 300×400 dpi and would like to resize them to 800×600 viewing. Have any tips on preserving or restoring the quality?

TIA

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

J
Jim
Feb 22, 2005
"whatsis" wrote in message
I’ve got a number of jpg’s like 300×400 dpi and would like to resize them to 800×600 viewing. Have any tips on preserving or restoring the quality?
TIA
Do you mean 300×400 pixels? If so, extrapolation to 600×800 can be done, but the results vary.
Jim
NG
Nathan Gibney
Feb 23, 2005
Extrapolation doesn’t always work that great, it’s usually hit or miss. Whenever you try to make an image bigger, expect to lose some quality.
K
Kingdom
Feb 23, 2005
whatsis wrote in
news::

I’ve got a number of jpg’s like 300×400 dpi and would like to resize them to 800×600 viewing. Have any tips on preserving or restoring
the
quality?

TIA

I take it you mean 300×400 pixels to 800×600 pixels?

Do it in stages about 10% at a time for better results

The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind.
T
Tacit
Feb 25, 2005
In whatsis wrote:

Yep!

Step 1: Forget it.

Step 2: Understand that enlarging a pixel based image always loses quality. Always. No program, no technique, no algorithm is capable of enlarging a pixel image and creating detail that is not in the original.

Forget Hollywood, forget "Blade Runner," forget the breathless marketing hype of programs like Geniune Fractals. It can not be done; it is not even theoretically possible.

You’ll get results that suck a bit less if you use "stair interpolation"– sizing it up repeatedly in small increments–but you will never get results that look better than the original.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections