X
Posted By
xtx99
Feb 10, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I rescale (without resampling) and create a .TIF file, the rescale is maintained (for instance 4"x6") when I use PS to print the photo. However, when I rescale and create a .JPG, the rescale is not maintained (for example it’s 36"x24"!!!!!!) and I have to place a check in PS to "Scale to Fit Media" when printing. Why does this occur and is there a default setting in PS that somehow got changed? (I realize that just resizing the photo without resampling doesn’t change the photo data…just changes the size & increases the resolution (in my cases I normally print on 4"x6"). Thanks in advance for the answer to my question.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
rich
Feb 14, 2006
I m not an expert in this area but I believe when you change the file format from TIFF, (a non compressed file format), to a JPG, a compressed file format, you actually loose data. This can result in the unexpected file size change however subsequent JPG saves do not compress as aggressively as the first. To prove this theory create a JPG from the TIFF and note the file and image size. Then convert that JPG file to a 4X6 I bet you will not have to adjust the printing size on that JPG. I know every time you save a JPG you loose quality but often it is of no consequence.

Catman

wrote in message
When I rescale (without resampling) and create a .TIF file, the rescale is maintained (for instance 4"x6") when I use PS to print the photo. However, when I rescale and create a .JPG, the rescale is not maintained (for example it’s 36"x24"!!!!!!) and I have to place a check in PS to "Scale to Fit Media" when printing. Why does this occur and is there a default setting in PS that somehow got changed? (I realize that just resizing the photo without resampling doesn’t change the photo data…just changes the size & increases the resolution (in my cases I normally print on 4"x6"). Thanks in advance for the answer to my question.

T
Tacit
Feb 14, 2006
In article <wzaIf.10920$>,
"rich" wrote:

Then convert that JPG file to a 4X6 I bet you will not have to adjust the printing size on that JPG. I know every time you save a JPG you loose quality but often it is of no consequence.

This is not necessary. Converting to JPEG has nothing to do with print size. If an image is 4×6 as a TIFF, it will be 4×6 as a JPEG (unless you use Save for Web to create the JPEG, which changes the resolution to 72 pixels per inch without resampling).

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Nanohazard, Geek shirts, and more: http://www.villaintees.com

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections