How do I access the Shot-taken date of an image file?

T
Posted By
thief_
Jan 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have around 200 still images which I have taken over the last year using my Sony DV camera.

They are in folders which are named by date, eg:

Media\Images\2003-12-25\XMas with the kids.jpg

The folders are created when the images are downloaded, and are named according to the download date. But the images could be from over 6 months ago, thus making the date illogical.

I can view details regarding each shot, especially the date the shot was taken, by right-clicking individual files, and looking at the Summary tab.

My question is, how can I rename my image files using the "Date Shot Taken" field of the image’s summary-property?

Most of the utils I have which do mass-renaming, can use the Create Date, but that comes up as the download date, not the date the shot was taken.

Any suggestions?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CW
Colin_Walls
Jan 1, 2004
I cannot answer your question, but I do have a suggestion: You might like to take a look at Photoshop Album. This is another Adobe product, which is very cheap, but provides an excellent [IMHO] means to organise your images, without particularly worrying about their filenames/folders. It works in terms of the embedded date information, so you can easily filter to just see all the pictures taken on a specific day, for example. Do take a look. There is a free trial version, but be warned – the free version is only a very small subset of the full product functionality.
SA
Sven-Martin_Adelhoff
Jan 2, 2004
There is a program called Exifer, which I do not use personally, but is often recommended. It can read the date from EXIF and rename the file accordingly.

Hope it helps
Sven

<http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/>

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections