How to change location of image browser thumbnail file?

J
Posted By
JRichter
Jul 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My W2K user profile load time (over a network) slowed down to the point where W2K timed out and loaded a local default profile. I discovered a Photoshop Browser thumbnail folder inside my profile folder that was 50MB. How can I put this folder somewhere other than in my user profile – like on my local drive? I don’t see anything in "Options" to do this.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DM
dave_milbut
Jul 28, 2004
can’t be done. there’s a feature request for this in the feature request section of the forum (see the folders at the top of this forum list).
GA
George_Austin
Jul 29, 2004
Dave,

I don’t know how it got misplaced to begin with, but if he were to move the file where it belongs, i.e., to:

C:\Docs&Settings\[personal]\ApplicData\Adobe\FileBrowser \PSCS

would the browser find it OK?

George
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 29, 2004
are we reading the same question george? 🙂
GA
George_Austin
Jul 29, 2004
Dave,

Apparently we are not on the same page. Please correct my thinking. To the best of my knowledge, Photoshop browser thumbnail data are automatically cached (placed) in files within the folder I cited. They are identifiable by a Trailing "T" in their filenames. What am I not privvy to?

George
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 29, 2004
his problem is that that folder structure is part of a windows domain roaming profile set-up. he hasn’t moved it, it just gets copied around when he moves from machine to machine, and it takes a lot of time.

he wants to move it elsewhere out of the profile path so it’s not copied around when he switches machines. as i said, it can’t be done in cs, but there’s a feature request for it to be an option in the next release in the FR section of the forum.

dave (who turns off roamimg profile for his id where ever he logs in because his profile is about 500 meg! <g>)
GA
George_Austin
Jul 29, 2004
Dave,

HMMM! I’m Glad I asked. It’s nice to at least know what you don’t know 🙂

George
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 29, 2004
There’s so many pros in so many fields in this forum that it’s easy to get confused around here, and if you’re not really careful, you might learn something! 🙂
TM
Trevor_Morris
Jul 29, 2004
I have not explored this myself, but have you tried changing this registry entry?

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Photoshop\8.0]

SettingsFilePath="C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\8.0\Adobe Photoshop CS Settings\"

I cannot located anything that is specifically related to the FileBrowser path, which is:

"C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Adobe\FileBrowser\PhotoshopCS"

Cheers,
Trevor
J
JRichter
Jul 29, 2004
Thanks for letting me know about the feature request. Meanwhile, I’ll use "Irfanview" to pick files. (If you don’t have this neat, little viewer you should look it up at Irfanview.com)
TM
Trevor_Morris
Jul 29, 2004
XnView <http://xnview.com/> (xnview.com) is another great/free alternative as well.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections