Anyone know who created the feedback forms in the PSCS WPG?

B
Posted By
baidarkabob
Dec 5, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello, I would like to better understand the feedback forms included in web page gallery templates included with PS CS. I just posted a gallery based on a slightly modified version of the horizontal – feedback template with 230 images or so and tested the send comments via email form – <http://www.critterweb.org/thanksgiving_2003>. I have a few questions:

1. Is there a limit to the number of comments that can be submitted in a single email? I have successfully sent several comments in a single email but it seems that above 10 something breaks down and the client software does not come up for some reason.

2. What are the approved and other checkboxes for?

3. Is there some way to modify the send email form so that folks who do not use client side email software can still send comments?

4. In the email that results from sending comments through the form the image file names are used as a heading for each comment. It would be really sweet if these were links to the images – anyone got a clue how to do that with the form?

5. I would also like to use the horizontal slide show template but for some reason the fileInfo metadata does not seem to work with that template. fileName works fine. Anyone know why fileInfo would not work with this template?

The WPG templates are pretty cool! I would sure like to know how to better operate them.

Thanks for your help.

Bob

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

AP
Adam_Pratt
Dec 8, 2003
The Chopping Block in NYC created several of these templates and I think they did great work. Big improvement over previous versions! 🙂

1. Is there a limit to the number of comments that can be submitted in a single email? I have successfully sent several comments in a single email but it seems that above 10 something breaks down and the client software does not come up for some reason.

The email response is generated by JavaScript, so any limit is probably controlled by the longest text string that can be stored in JavaScript or a URL string. This might differ from browser to browser, can I wonder if it tops off at something like 256 characters or 32kb of text, or something like that. Again, probably depends on each browser. A JavaScript guru might know of a JavaScript-related limit.

2. What are the approved and other checkboxes for?

Just for approving images. Imagine you’re a professional photographer who just finished a shoot for a client. Using these new templates, your client can look through all the images you shot and select the few they want to use for the project. The Other option could be whatever you want. Maybe it’s the Maybe category? Remember that these are just templates and you can alter them however you want.

3. Is there some way to modify the send email form so that folks who do not use client side email software can still send comments?

Not that I’m aware of. The only workaround I can think of is to have a dummy email client installed that’s used just for copying and pasting the comments into another client.

4. In the email that results from sending comments through the form the image file names are used as a heading for each comment. It would be really sweet if these were links to the images – anyone got a clue how to do that with the form?

Without a much more complicated server-side solution I’m aware of no way to do that.

5. I would also like to use the horizontal slide show template but for some reason the fileInfo metadata does not seem to work with that template. fileName works fine. Anyone know why fileInfo would not work with this template?

It looks like the Description field under Large images in the Options section is turned off by accident. Just turn that on and run the gallery. It works fine.

The WPG templates are pretty cool! I would sure like to know how to better operate them.

Look in Photoshop’s online help. It explains how to build your own templates and the existing templates are a good place to start learning.

Hope that helps!
B
baidarkabob
Dec 8, 2003
Thanks for the reply Adam. I am really enjoying the new image gallery templates. They are real easy to modify enough to do most of what I want to do – with the exception of the feedback forms. I guess that is probably because I know very little about forms. For example, the accept/option check boxes are not much use to me but I found that the forms would not work if I tried to delete those parts.

Too bad about the javascript limit. I will have to test and be sure to include text in the template that notifies the user of the limitations – it is a bummer to go through 200 images and lose your comments when you finally click "send email".

Thanks for the tip on the horizontal slide show. Of note, it was the thumbnails area that needed to have description checked (I had tested with all checked in large image area). Not sure why this template is different from the others – they seem to draw the data from the large images because I can uncheck everything in the thumbnails area.

Thanks again for the response.

One more question… Would it be complicated to pull other IPTC/EXIF data out for a modified template? Is there some kind of standard code for each field?

Bob
AP
Adam_Pratt
Dec 8, 2003
Bob,

All the available tokens are documented in the help system. That’s the best place to check if something is possible or not.
CH
Clark_Hampton
Dec 13, 2003
I created a few web galleries but the feedback is not saving. They stay there during the particular web session but when the browser is closed and the page is rea-opened, the feedback disapears. Am I needing to do something to get the feedback to save to my server?

Thanks

Clark Hampton
MH
Mark_Hiers
Dec 13, 2003
Am I needing to do something to get the feedback to save to my server?

The data doesn’t get saved anywhere, so you’re not missing a step.
CH
Clark_Hampton
Dec 13, 2003
So why is there a way to save feedback on the gallery in the first place if it can’t be saved for another person to see? That would seem odd if it was never saved beacuse then there is no point to it.
B
baidarkabob
Dec 13, 2003
Clark, I believe the saving feature is to allow a single user the ability to ‘rack up comments’ for a grand finale email of summarized comments.

The limitation I found with this option is that the save feature does not allow for many comments to be collected (I never totally tested this but I was unable to save more than ten very short comments) and then exported, apparently with javascript, to the email program.

The idea has promise and with some creative template editing would likely server many ends

bob
PH
Photo_Help
Dec 13, 2003
Something server side like perl or PHP would work much better. There are thousands of free scrips available for data collection.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections