TC
Posted By
Todd Cary
May 9, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Though I have the Monaco Monitor program, I would like to create my own ICM file by matching my CRT to my "standardized" prints. Is there a program that will provide a means to do this?

Todd

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
birdman
May 9, 2005
Do you have the Monaco colorimeter, for example the Optix device? Profiling a monitor by eye, rather than calibrating with a sensor device, is highly inaccurate.
Using the colorimeter in combination with EZ color, a flatbed scanner and your printer you can, theoretically, create individualized profiles for your printer and paper. In fact one is creating a unique color space that is tailored to the capabilities of a particular printer/combination. I say theoretically because I am working my way through the process at the moment.
The process is not as easy or straightforward as the Monaco blurbs would have you believe. And you really need to have a good basic understanding of the theory of color management as well as the particulars of how Adobe and different printer drivers implement color management.
However so far it seems a real improvement over monitor profiling alone, which I used to do with a Spyder, and that was very good in itself.
PH
PeeVee_Herman
May 9, 2005
On Mon, 09 May 2005 06:13:19 GMT, "birdman"
wrote:

Do you have the Monaco colorimeter, for example the Optix device? Profiling a monitor by eye, rather than calibrating with a sensor device, is highly inaccurate.
Using the colorimeter in combination with EZ color, a flatbed scanner and your printer you can, theoretically, create individualized profiles for your printer and paper. In fact one is creating a unique color space that is tailored to the capabilities of a particular printer/combination. I say theoretically because I am working my way through the process at the moment.
The process is not as easy or straightforward as the Monaco blurbs would have you believe. And you really need to have a good basic understanding of the theory of color management as well as the particulars of how Adobe and different printer drivers implement color management.
However so far it seems a real improvement over monitor profiling alone, which I used to do with a Spyder, and that was very good in itself.

after further reading in Real World Color Management book, these guys claim any printer profiling done with a scanner, is highly innacurate, and trying to edit profiles leads to insanity.

pretty much what I found to be true.

your mileage may vary.

I used Monaco and the Optix thingie to get a good monitor profile, and make sure that all the greys were quite neutral, and it did a good job of that. As far as a printer profile, after reading a good bit on the subject, I’m thinking of coughing up the bg bucks for Gretag.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections