Posted By
Irishlore78
Jun 13, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,

For a contest, I’m trying to create a banner for a web site. It’s really just for fun but I have this idea that I want to use to make one and it’s a struggle to do. What I want to do is take a bunch of images and blend them in so that it’s like theres a smooth flow and they integrate together like a transition. Here’s one as an example to show what I mean:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v430/Ceara8304/SueEllenEwing1978-1979.jpg

What I did was take 4 different caps and used a smudge tool but it didn’t have the desired effect I wanted. As you can see, they don’t really blend together as one. Any suggestions here?

I’ve looked into Ben Willmore’s "Studio Techniques." I’ve often tried using a magnetic lasso tool to cut out the person and sometimes their head is cut off at the top or the torso at the bottom so I end up having to place them in a corner or at the bottom of a blank document I place it on. I’ve tried layer techniques such as multiply, overlay, luminous, etc to try to hide these with other backgrounds but sometimes the "cut-offs" are still noticeable. So I think the best thing to do what I want is to try to keep these individual caps without cutting out the person or anything so I can get the transition/blend in together effect. But how do I do this?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

I
Irishlore78
Jun 13, 2007
To clarify what I mean if I sounded confusing in the previous post, here is an example of what I’m trying to do:

< http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v430/Ceara8304/Banniereros e.jpg>

I don’t know who did it but I would really love to know how this can be done without it looking disjointed.

Thanks!
CA
C_AM
Jun 14, 2007
You position all the photos, each on its own layer, above a layer that is colored with a common color (common to each of the photo backgrounds; if necessary you can do a gradient technique from side to side). You then move to each layer one at a time and do a feather border technique to each photo.

Surround the image: Capture the image on its layer. Now Select/Feather and when the menu opens select the number of pixels you want to fade. Then Select/Invert and then Edit/Clear (be sure you are only effecting that one layer and no others). That will remove everything within the Inverted capture area (anything outside your object) and it will fade (make slightly transparent) the number of pixels you selected within your object.

Continue doing this until all your images are faded at the edges. That’s it. If you want to blend them more, go in to each layer one at a time, with your eraser tool, set with a soft round brush, lower the opacity and then erase until you’re happy with the results. Be sure not to use too small a brush setting, as the smaller the brush the sharper the edges.
C
chrisjbirchall
Jun 14, 2007
Here’s a quick, adjustable, non destructive method:

* Drag each image onto your banner canvas. Each will be on its own layer. Overlap the leading edge of each.

* Make the topmost layer active, and use the rectangular marquee to draw out a selection where you want the blending to take place.

* Feather the selection (between 10 and 30 pixels should do it).

* Hit D for the default FG/BG colours. Click the Layer Mask icon in the layers palette. This will create a mask based on the selection, giving a nice transition from one image to the next.

* Move down the layers and repeat for each of the remaining images.

Hope this helps.
I
Irishlore78
Jun 15, 2007
chrisjbirchall,

I tried your suggestions, but ended up with this result:

<http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v430/Ceara8304/test.jpg>

I’m not sure what I did wrong. The mask layers were applied to all the layers and I did the D for the FG/BG colors.

C AM, I’m going to try your approach next and see what I come up with.

Thanks for the suggestions you two. I really appreciate the help!
I
Irishlore78
Jun 16, 2007
Okay … I tried both but they didn’t work. Any other alternatives or suggestions?
I
Irishlore78
Jun 16, 2007
Okay … I tried both but they didn’t work. Any other alternatives or suggestions?
B
Bernie
Jun 16, 2007
Don’t blindly do, LOOK at the effects of what you’re doing is so you can understand it an then be creative.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections