RH
Posted By
Ronald_Hirsch
Nov 17, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m presently in Photoshop 7, but will shortly be using Photoshop CS.

I use layer masks often, and know that I can paint in them with black, white, or shades of grey to control what parts of the associated layer are applied to the overall image. What I want to do is use a totally different layer in the image to generate a special B/W image which I can them paste into the layer mask on another layer of that image. The B/W layer will then be either turned off or deleted, but I’ll be left with the special B/W layer mask in the layer it was pasted into.

I seem to recall reading that I can paste into a layer mask, but I don’t recall how, and I haven’t been able to find the path to do so.

Once I do establish the approach, I assume that I can paste from anywhere into a layer mask in a different image.

Can someone refresh me on how to do this.

Ron Hirsch

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 17, 2003
Ron,

I seem to recall reading that I can paste into a layer mask, but I don’t recall how, and I haven’t been able to find the path to do so.

I’m not 100% clear on what your after, but you can control click on the mask, and that loads it as a selection. You can then use Edit|Paste Into.

Peace,
Tony
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Nov 17, 2003
Select or Alt-click the Layer Mask to make it visible before you paste.
RH
Ronald_Hirsch
Nov 17, 2003
Thanks guys –

I had forgotten to check my reference for everything – Deke’s Photoshop Bible 7, and I found the ALT+CLICK in there after I posted.

The Photoshop Bible is probably the best all around book to find just about anything for Photoshop.

What I was doing was coming up with a new procedure to reduce the large luminousity range in backlit images. I hope to make an action out of it when I’ve got the various parameters resolved.

Thanks again –

Ron Hirsch

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections