Posted By
Andrew Morton
May 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
(PS CS, W2000SP4)
I would like to be able to paste directly into a layer mask to replace the content of the layer mask but selecting the layer mask and pasting produces another (ordinary) layer. My current workaround is to delete the layer mask and recreate it via an alpha channel, which is a bit untidy. Is this something which can’t be done in a simple step?

Andrew

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

N
nomail
May 25, 2004
Andrew Morton wrote:

I would like to be able to paste directly into a layer mask to replace the content of the layer mask but selecting the layer mask and pasting produces another (ordinary) layer. My current workaround is to delete the layer mask and recreate it via an alpha channel, which is a bit untidy. Is this something which can’t be done in a simple step?

Option-click (for Mac, on a PC it’s Alt-click) on the mask icon. That will select the mask only an give you a chance to copy something into the mask.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
AM
Andrew Morton
May 25, 2004
Option-click (for Mac, on a PC it’s Alt-click) on the mask icon. That will select the mask only an give you a chance to copy something into the mask.

Thank you. Now you’ve told me, I can find it in the help; maybe I was thinking of "Replace layer mask" instead of "Edit layer mask".

Andrew

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections