Posted By
Brian
Dec 1, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi everyone,

I am very familiar with the general use of Layer Masks, such as filling with black to hide the layer, fill with white to reveal the layer, paint on the layer mask with different shades for varying opactiy of the layer, etc. My question is – can we paste an image into a Layer Mask so the image becomes the mask?

As an example: I have an image of a girl and I create a new layer and fill it with red. I then click on the Layer Mask button. I fill the layer mask with a pattern fill and the red appears on the girl following the pattern of the mask. What if instead of filling the mask with the pattern I have another image which is of the pattern I want to use as the mask. I copy it to the clipboard, how do I paste it into the layer mask?

I do this all the time in another editing programme for other purposes (not putting patterns on people) and it is as simple as clicking on the layer mask icon and then clicking Paste.

Best regards,
Brian.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MR
Mike Russell
Dec 1, 2007
"Brian" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

I am very familiar with the general use of Layer Masks, such as filling with black to hide the layer, fill with white to reveal the layer, paint on the layer mask with different shades for varying opactiy of the layer, etc. My question is – can we paste an image into a Layer Mask so the image becomes the mask?

Alt-click on the layer mask before pasting into or otherwise modifying it.

Mike Russell – www.curvemeister.com
B
Brian
Dec 2, 2007
Fantastic!! Just what I was looking for, Mike. Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Brian.

"Mike Russell" wrote in message
"Brian" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

Alt-click on the layer mask before pasting into or otherwise modifying it.

Mike Russell – www.curvemeister.com

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections