CP
Posted By
chris.peressotti
Jan 15, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I really thought I’d be able to find an answer for this one, but I’ve spent wayyyyy too long trying different combinations of search words. I’m using Photoshop Elements 2.0.

I have an image with multiple layers. I would like to use the marquee tool to make a selection, then Cut through ALL of the layers, and copy all of these layers to a new image (without merging them, i.e. the layers are still separate and in the same order).

It seems to me that this should be easy, but I can’t get it to work. I’ve tried both Linking and Grouping the layers, but only the active layer gets copied (I suppose it isn’t SO much work to create the selection, select a layer, CTRL-C, select the new window and CTRL-V, repeat for all layers… but they aren’t automatically aligned in the new image and I have to do this frequently enough that it would be nice to do it all at once).

Thanks for any help you can give.

– Chris

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RG
Roy G
Jan 16, 2007
wrote in message
I really thought I’d be able to find an answer for this one, but I’ve spent wayyyyy too long trying different combinations of search words. I’m using Photoshop Elements 2.0.

I have an image with multiple layers. I would like to use the marquee tool to make a selection, then Cut through ALL of the layers, and copy all of these layers to a new image (without merging them, i.e. the layers are still separate and in the same order).

It seems to me that this should be easy, but I can’t get it to work. I’ve tried both Linking and Grouping the layers, but only the active layer gets copied (I suppose it isn’t SO much work to create the selection, select a layer, CTRL-C, select the new window and CTRL-V, repeat for all layers… but they aren’t automatically aligned in the new image and I have to do this frequently enough that it would be nice to do it all at once).

Thanks for any help you can give.

– Chris

Hi

Copy the new Image to the one with the layers.

Roy G
CP
chris.peressotti
Jan 16, 2007

Hi, Roy. I don’t understand what you mean… if my existing (layered) image is X and my new image is Y, I want to
– do whatever I need to do in terms of linking/grouping/whatever in X to convince Photoshop that these layers need to move at once. – draw a selection on image X using the marquee tool and select "Copy" (or a special version of "Copy", if necessary). – select new image Y and select "Paste" (or a special version of "Paste") and have all of the layers appear in the new image, but only the area that was within the marquee.
RG
Roy G
Jan 16, 2007
wrote in message

Hi, Roy. I don’t understand what you mean… if my existing (layered) image is X and my new image is Y, I want to
– do whatever I need to do in terms of linking/grouping/whatever in X to convince Photoshop that these layers need to move at once. – draw a selection on image X using the marquee tool and select "Copy" (or a special version of "Copy", if necessary). – select new image Y and select "Paste" (or a special version of "Paste") and have all of the layers appear in the new image, but only the area that was within the marquee.

Hi.

Why do your cropped or trimmed layers have to move onto the new Image? Think about the final result.

Make a copy of X or just leave X where it is and move the new image Y onto X

Re-arrange the order of the layers so your newly imported image Y, (now just another layer), is at the bottom of the pile.

That is what you want, X and its layers on top of Y.

Roy G
CP
chris.peressotti
Jan 17, 2007
Why do your cropped or trimmed layers have to move onto the new Image?

Basically, it amounted to me being an idiot… here’s what I actually wanted to do (but didn’t realize it):
– Align multiple layers in an image
– Draw a marquee box around the useful part of the image – Image -> Crop
– File -> Save As

That’s IT 🙂 I don’t know why I was so fixated on trying to move them to a new image as a group. Thanks for your help.

– Chris
RG
Roy G
Jan 18, 2007
wrote in message
Why do your cropped or trimmed layers have to move onto the new Image?

Basically, it amounted to me being an idiot… here’s what I actually wanted to do (but didn’t realize it):
– Align multiple layers in an image
– Draw a marquee box around the useful part of the image – Image -> Crop
– File -> Save As

That’s IT 🙂 I don’t know why I was so fixated on trying to move them to a new image as a group. Thanks for your help.

– Chris

Hi.

I did wonder, but hey, no-one is perfect all of the time.

Roy G

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections