Posted By
Daryl Pritchard
Nov 12, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi All,

While I know the Hand Tool can be used to pan around in an image that is larger than the window it is displayed in, I suddenly find I’m unable to do that today. Any ideas why? It worked briefly while I was checking to see which types of selection tools it would work with, but then just quit functioning. While the hand cursor appears, there is no panning of the image. Am I overlooking something basic that locks out the hand tool? I tried restarting PS7 and that made no difference.

Thanks,

Daryl

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

GH
Grass_Hopper
Nov 12, 2003
Daryl

have you tried to reset your preferences <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?50@@.ef4a07f> as outlined in the FAQ? Many times this can be the simple fix to cure what ails PS.
DP
Daryl Pritchard
Nov 12, 2003
Hi GH,

Thanks, but no I’ve not done that yet. Instead I moved off to confirm things on my desktop (working as expected) while rebooting my laptop to see if that helps. I had some troubles with remote access on my laptop also, so there may have been some little system glitch affecting it. I figured I’d just post the question in case there was some innocuous thing known to trigger this problem from time to time.

Thanks,

Daryl
GH
Grass_Hopper
Nov 12, 2003
Daryl,

I didn’t pay attention to the last name of the poster here! I *know* you would have known to check the preference settings 😉

Other than that, I am not much help here 🙁

hopper
DP
Daryl Pritchard
Nov 12, 2003
GH, it never hurts though to remind one of the easy fixes, as they are often overlooked. Guess what…neither the reboot nor resetting the preferences worked. I’m guessing now a mouse driver problem, being that this laptop has both an MS mouse driver and the Synaptics touchpad driver installed. So, time to go play with those….

Daryl
GH
Grass_Hopper
Nov 12, 2003
how about removing/renaming the MS mouse first?
DP
Daryl Pritchard
Nov 12, 2003
Actually, there wasn’t a mouse to remove, per se. Rather, the driver was for when I’ve got my wireless mouse connected. The mouse properties shows an integrated dialog that covers both the MS mouse and Synaptics pad, but the enhanced features of the Syn pad weren’t working, so I thought the MS drivers were just limiting the range of features to whatever is most compatible across the set. I’ve just installed an updated Synaptics driver that I hope will solve the problem. Meawhile, I’ve got another problem going on now in Outlook. Hmmm…I’m home with a cold….maybe my laptop has one also? ha!

Daryl
GH
Grass_Hopper
Nov 12, 2003
PUNT!!!!

😉
DP
Daryl Pritchard
Nov 12, 2003
Punt? I believe I will. Updating the Synaptics driver and uninstalling the MS wireless mouse driver still leaves the problem intact. No big deal…it’s a convenient too to have, but the laptop isn’t exactly the most productive PS machine to use, so I can ignore the issue for now. I’ll eventually put PS CS on here and will see if the problem persists. If so, I may revisit looking for a fix then.
GH
Grass_Hopper
Nov 12, 2003
Hey, I made a good suggestion! 😉

sorry it didn’t work out as easily as the new driver installation 🙁

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections