CJ
Posted By
Clayton_Jones
Mar 12, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Suddenly the Alt key doesn’t work with Clone and other Tools. When it’s pressed, it shows a double arrow (black/white)cursor and a selection is not defined.

I did a forum search and found this
———————————————————— —— Q: My Alt key doesnยดt work when using the Clone, Lasso, Magnifyer.. Tool.

A:
Some programs and utilities takes control of the Alt key when installed.

GuruNet (Atomica) and FlySwat are two of these applications. Uninstall them and re-claim the Alt-key, and all should be fine.
———————————————————–

….but these programs are not on my PC. Plus, the Alt key works fine in other programs. I’m using CS.

I’m desperate to fix this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

– CJ

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CJ
Clayton_Jones
Mar 12, 2008
Followup: I just discovered that the left Alt key works ok. Only the right one, which I normally use, behaves as described. Anyone know what’s causing this? Thanks very much.

– CJ
I
ID._Awe
Mar 12, 2008
Crumbs in the board? Turn upside down and whack repeatedly against desk, then try again.
JJ
John_Joslin
Mar 12, 2008
Keyboard mapping changed in Regional Options?
CJ
Clayton_Jones
Mar 12, 2008
Dear Awe,

Crumbs in the board?

Thank you!!! My first thought on reading your msg was "You gotta be kidding". Then, "well, why not". So I did it and it worked. Amazing. Learn something new every day. In 18+ years of computer use I never had this problem (I’ve had lots of dirty keyboards, but never this problem). Must have been a big crumb. The only mystery though is why the key worked ok in another program. Anyway, a thousand thanks.

John, thank you for your reply too. I looked in the Regional Settings but couldn’t find anything re keyboard mapping. I’m using XP.

Best Regards,
CJ
JJ
John_Joslin
Mar 12, 2008
Just in case you wondered, in Regional Options you can change the mapping to suit different countries. Each has its own keyboard layout.

It was only an outside chance; glad you got the keyboard de-crumbed! ๐Ÿ™‚
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 12, 2008
In 18+ years of computer use

๐Ÿ˜ฎ that’s a lot of crumbs!
I
ID._Awe
Mar 12, 2008
I do not eat in my computer room, but I worked in a place where the GD was also the quasi-lunch room.
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 12, 2008
oh, i did my time in tech support in a big corporation. you’d run from some of the stuff i’ve found in keyboards! ๐Ÿ™‚
I
ID._Awe
Mar 13, 2008
Hey! That was my keyboard, but they kept hauling me back and shortening the chain.
CJ
Clayton_Jones
Mar 13, 2008
Thanks for all the fun replies. For the record, I have had more than one keyboard in 18 years. ๐Ÿ™‚

But I did get nice collection of "stuff" when I applied Awe’s fix. I tend to munch on pretzels in the wee hours while programming. Would be scary to see 18 year’s worth. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks again everyone.

CJ

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections