D
Posted By
dontrow
Nov 10, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I select a Fuji RAF image in CS browser, some of the EXIF data is missing (white balance, contrast and others). I do have these fields checked in the preferences, the data just doesn’t show up. If I pull up the file in Fuji’s viewer, the data is there. If extract the imbedded .jpg and view that file, the info is there. Is this just a bug in the software?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

PJ
Paul_Jaruszewski
Nov 10, 2003
Don, it isn’t a bug, it is a feature. Check the file info in PS and you will find that there is a lot of data there. Problem is you can’t do much with it unles you are looking at it in Photoshop CS, or want to use the SDK and write your own viewer! I too am irritated with this "feature" because I use the EXIF information in my online gallery software. I think this is what is called the "Bleeding Edge" of a new feature. Too bad they didn’t leave the EXIF alone and simply add the new features so we could use all the other software we already have.

Paul
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Nov 10, 2003
Actually, there are two types of metadata in EXIF. . ."Public fields" or those tags that are documented, and "Private Fields" or maker’s notes that are not.

White Balance is a classic "maker’s note" that Fuji has not documented where and how it’s encoded. This not Photoshop’s fault but a limit in the EXIF spec allowing private data that can not be parced without reverse engineering the location and the meaning of the data. So, if you want Photoshop to be able to support some of these custom fields, it would be useful to vent at Fuji.
D
dontrow
Nov 11, 2003
Jeff, unless I am misunderstanding your explanation, why is it that a .jpg shot with the same camera shows that EXIF info in file browser?
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 12, 2003
If it doesn’t show up, then that’s because it isn’t actually in the file….
D
dontrow
Nov 12, 2003
Chris, the info is in the file, that’s the problem. If I look at the same file in Fuji’s viewer, the info is there. It’s just not showing up in PS browser.
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 13, 2003
But is it in a proprietary tag, or a public tag?

Photoshop can only display the public tags.
D
dontrow
Nov 13, 2003
Chris, I see what your getting at. I’m new to the EXIF stuff and didn’t know there were 2 types of ‘tags’. That would explain the problem. I’m guessing that Adobe would have to come up with a way to display the ‘proprietary’ tags for that data to be available in browser.
Thanks for the info

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections