RP
Posted By
Russell_Proulx
Jan 9, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I often produce product images for clients that they then supply to their distributors and I prefer that my camera EXIF data not be included (none of their business). I use various actions to produce a variety of sizes and colourspaces (sRGB and CMYK) from the original PSDs. Unfortunately Photoshop seems to lack the ability to strip the camera EXIF data from a PSD file other than by copying the image to a new document. This is fine for a few images. But when you have 50-100 images it’s not very practical.

Here’s an action that would work:

Note: Image layers are not supported and the colourspace is lost so you will need to make note of the colourspace of the originals.

Action 1 : Open (flatten) and save the RGB or CMYK PSD files as Scitex Format (SCT).

Action 2: Open .SCT files, assign the now missing colourspace tag, re-save as PSD.

I can then add any metatags that should be embedded in these images.

But does anyone know of a plugin or post-processing utility that will strip selective metadata (ie: camera info only, not the metatags with the company info, copyright etc..) from RGB and CMYK ‘Photoshop format’ images?

Russell

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

H
Ho
Jan 9, 2009
You might look into Exif Tool. If it looks useful, check out Exif Tool GUI which makes it easier to use (if you’re not into the whole command line syntax thing).
RP
Russell_Proulx
Jan 9, 2009
THANK YOU HO !!!

Exif Tool + Exif Tool GUI works perfectly 🙂

I can even strip out the camera info on layered RGB and CMYK Photoshop files and everything else (size, ppi, colorspace) remains intact. I’m very grateful for the tip!

You have to wonder how a small software author can offer tools like that for free while apps like Photo$hop cannot.

Thanks again, Ho. You’ve saved me a lot of time.

Russell
H
Ho
Jan 9, 2009
🙂

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections