H
Posted By
Hitchkas
Apr 1, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I use camera raw and edit my Canon raw images in CS. When the result is saved as JPG file, the embedded EXIF contains only PhotoShop’s meta data, basically software name, and editing date and time. The original camera EXIF data is not included in the resulting JPG file.

I have tried setting and unsetting several options but cannot make PhotoShop to include camera’s original EXIF data into the resulting JPG file.

Which options do you set in CS to include camera’s original EXIF data into JPG file when using camera raw?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

N
nomail
Apr 1, 2005
Hitchkas wrote:

I use camera raw and edit my Canon raw images in CS. When the result is saved as JPG file, the embedded EXIF contains only PhotoShop’s meta data, basically software name, and editing date and time. The original camera EXIF data is not included in the resulting JPG file.
I have tried setting and unsetting several options but cannot make PhotoShop to include camera’s original EXIF data into the resulting JPG file.

Which options do you set in CS to include camera’s original EXIF data into JPG file when using camera raw?

How did you save to JPEG? Did you use ‘Save for the web’ by any chance?

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
EG
Eric Gill
Apr 1, 2005
"Hitchkas" wrote in news:1112343011.343988.86390 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

Use "Save As" instead of "Save for Web."
H
Hitchkas
Apr 2, 2005
Yes, I use "Save as". As a matter of fact never used the "Save for the web" option. So here is the process:

1- use the file browser to open a "CRW" image (Canon raw format). All camera exif tags are indeed present in the meta data tab.

2- Do image manipulation using camara raw, then click on "OK" button. Camera raw plugin closes and the image appears in its own window.

3- Use "file, Save as" to save as a jpeg file. Open the resulting Jpeg image in an image viewer and look at EXIF data. There are only few EXIF tags related to PhotoShop embedded in the image, for example "software" and "color space" tags. No camera related tags, such as camera make and model, date and time photo taken, shutter speed, etc are embedded in the image.

I want to know if there is a way, when using camera raw plugin, to get the camera generated EXIF tags into the image. Needless to say camera jpeg files maintain their camera tags when edited with Photoshop.
N
nomail
Apr 2, 2005
Hitchkas wrote:

Yes, I use "Save as". As a matter of fact never used the "Save for the web" option. So here is the process:

1- use the file browser to open a "CRW" image (Canon raw format). All camera exif tags are indeed present in the meta data tab.
2- Do image manipulation using camara raw, then click on "OK" button. Camera raw plugin closes and the image appears in its own window.
3- Use "file, Save as" to save as a jpeg file. Open the resulting Jpeg image in an image viewer and look at EXIF data. There are only few EXIF tags related to PhotoShop embedded in the image, for example "software" and "color space" tags. No camera related tags, such as camera make and model, date and time photo taken, shutter speed, etc are embedded in the image.

I want to know if there is a way, when using camera raw plugin, to get the camera generated EXIF tags into the image. Needless to say camera jpeg files maintain their camera tags when edited with Photoshop.

The camera related info should be in the image. Photoshop does preserve the tags when opening a RAW image and does NOT strip them if you use "Save as…" and save in JPEG. Perhaps it’s "an image viewer" that doesn’t show it correctly. Have you opened the JPEG in Photoshop again to see if the tags are still there?

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
H
Hitchkas
Apr 3, 2005
Thanks for the tip. When saved as jpeg from camera raw, the full camera exif tags can be viewed in PhotoShop’s file browser meta data tab, but they don’t show up for example using Windows XP’s "Properties, summary, advanced" and also Irfanview 3.95. An original camera jpeg file’s camera exif tags are viewable with both the Irfanview and also Windows XP properties applet.

Can you view camera exif tags in any other application or applet besides PhotoShop’s file browser?
N
nomail
Apr 3, 2005
Hitchkas wrote:

Thanks for the tip. When saved as jpeg from camera raw, the full camera exif tags can be viewed in PhotoShop’s file browser meta data tab, but they don’t show up for example using Windows XP’s "Properties, summary, advanced" and also Irfanview 3.95. An original camera jpeg file’s camera exif tags are viewable with both the Irfanview and also Windows XP properties applet.

Can you view camera exif tags in any other application or applet besides PhotoShop’s file browser?

Yes, I can. I cannot try the particular programs you mention, becaue I use a Macintosh, but I can see them in a Macintosh program called ‘GraphicConverter’. If the meta data can be viewed in ANY program, it means they are still there. It could be that Photoshop for Windows has a but that Photoshop for Macintosh doesn’t have, but I have never heard of it so that’s seems rather unlikely.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections