How to delete or hide File Info or EXIF data?

MD
Posted By
Michael_Derr
Sep 17, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I use a Canon 5D, and after processing in CS2 and before I submit images to clients, I wish to delete the File Info or EXIF data, or make the data inaccessible. Is there a simple way to do this? I submit Tiff files.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

GD
george_dingwall
Sep 17, 2006
Hi Michael,

The easiest way is probably to copy the file with the Exif data to the clipboard and then paste it back into a new document. When you do that, the exif data is not copied.

Hope this helps.
MD
Michael_Derr
Sep 17, 2006
I’m not sure how to do that. Can you advise?
JB
John_Bean_UK
Sep 17, 2006

1. Open image (Ctrl-O)
2. Select all (Ctrl-A)
3. Copy to clipboard (Ctrl-C)
4. New document (Ctrl-N)
5. Paste (Ctrl-V)
6. Save (Ctrl-S)

Or the menu equivalents (whatever they are) 🙂

John Bean
GD
george_dingwall
Sep 17, 2006
Hi Michael,

In addition to John’s list of things to do, you might want to add this one just before the Save option.

CTRL + SHIFT + E

When you paste in the clipboard, it creates a new layer for the copied image. This will flatten the image after you paste the clipboard.

Hope this helps.
JB
John_Bean_UK
Sep 17, 2006
Spot on George, I forgot about flattening the image before saving.

Still not too many key presses needed… and no mouse clicks at all 🙂

John Bean
P
Pipkin
Sep 17, 2006
Or you may use freeware jStrip <http://davidcrowell.com/jstrip/>. It’s also good for batch job.
MD
Michael_Derr
Sep 17, 2006
Thanks, all. I followed the steps above, but I’m getting a white window with no image after I paste. What did I do wrong?
MD
Michael_Derr
Sep 17, 2006
Mystery solved. I flattened the image first (I had an adjustment layer on top of the background in the previous attempt), and it worked. A round of drinks for all!
S
stevent
Sep 18, 2006
Isn’t Jstrip only for Jpeg files?
JB
John_Bean_UK
Sep 18, 2006
Mystery solved.

"I love it when a plan comes together!"

A round of drinks for all!

Now that *would* be a hard problem to implement. But the thought was there 🙂

John Bean
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Sep 18, 2006
Dunno about Jstrip, never used it.

That said, there are several kinds of "JPEG" files. The original JPEG spec didn’t provide for EXIF data, since EXIF wasn’t invented yet. It also didn’t provide a file format, and instead just provided a standard method for creating, providing, and accessing compressed image data. Next came JFIF, which stands for JPEG Image Format File, and represents the baseline standard for "JPEG" files with the ".JPG" extension. They contain only limited metadata, since EXIF wasn’t invented yet. Later, EXIF was invented, as an enhancement to the JFIF file format that would contain standardized EXIF data in addition to the very limited JFIF metadata. The advent of digital cameras resulted in the DCF file specification, which built on EXIF. File>Save As will save in EXIF format, while File>Save for Web will save in JFIF, without the EXIF data.
P
Pipkin
Sep 18, 2006
Then I would recommend ShowExif <http://www.videozona.ru/software/ShowExif/showexif.asp>

ShowExif is for watching and deleting the EXIF of digital photo’s files. It’s free of charge. Main features:
– Watching Exif with ‘MakerNote’ of general producers.
– ‘Copy’, ‘Delete’ and ‘Save’ EXIF data to disk.
– Photo Thumbnails Export to disk.
– Save Exif or separate tags to clipboard.
– 5 filters for metadata.
– Watching RAW parameters of conversion to Photoshop CS / CS2

Multilanguage interface.

Download (400 kB) and try it <http://www.videozona.ru/software/ShowExif/ShowEXIF.zip>

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections