What are some symtoms of a bad video card?

M
Posted By
marionbabich
Nov 4, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I installed PS CS on a new computer and some files opened from another computer (small network lan) are trashed, truncated, and all black. Not all files just some. Need to know what symptoms a bad graphics card will do.

Thanks in advance, Marion

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

RL
Robert_Levine
Nov 4, 2003
Well, it certainly wouldn’t corrupt your files the way opening and saving across a network would.

Bob
HD
hot_denim
Nov 4, 2003
May temporarayly display the image with distortions. But on moving it about / zooming / panning.. The distortion would change or not move as if it were PART of the image.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 4, 2003
anomolies redrawing under mouse movements
M
marionbabich
Nov 4, 2003
For what it’s worth I think I found my problem. When I save a file on computer 1, I was saving it as a tif in lwz compression. When I open the file on computer 1 it showed up fine but when opened on computer 2 or 3 (across the network)that is when I was havng the problem of file trucnated and sometimes half the image just black. If save the file as a tif with none or no compression the files are fine.

Maybe this will help someone else if this problem occurs.

Marion
GS
Gustavo_Sanchez
Nov 4, 2003
Marion,

To me that sounds more like a network trouble. Have you tried the same actions saving locally first? It might help to pinpoint the problem.
M
marionbabich
Nov 4, 2003
Gustave,

When I save on computer 1 and open files on computer 1 even if I use lwz it opens fine. The problem I was having was when I opened the same files on another computer that is when I was having the problem I tried a new router and cables thinking that might be the problem but I lean more to not using lwz in the file save options. I’m open to any other suggestions though.

Thanks, Marion
B
BLUDVLZ
Nov 4, 2003
The easiest way to tell the difference is that a bad video card typically has a goatee, where as a good video card is clean shaven.
J
jsquiresmd
May 1, 2004
Since insatlling the Adobe 6.0.1 update, whenever I open acrobat the windows installer runs to configure Acrobat. Is this normal?
CC
Chris_Cox
May 3, 2004
jsquiresmd – we wouldn’t know, this is the Photoshop user forum.

Posting to the Acrobat forum might get you an answer.
DE
david_englander
May 15, 2004
photoshop 5.5

The "Save to Web" option is not available, when I first loaded it the option was there. I don’t know how to activate it again.

send all answers/suggestions to

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections