N
Posted By
nvslater
Oct 20, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there a way to change the magnetic lasso pointer to an arrow?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Oct 20, 2003
No, you cannot change the cursor to an arrow. Your choices, given in the preferences, are limited to either standard (the magnetic lasso icon) or precise (circle with crosshair). I’ve often thought I’d prefer an arrow myself, but I’ve gotten accustomed to knowing what part of the lasso icon is "hot", and I just stick with it.

Regards,

Daryl
N
nvslater
Oct 20, 2003
I am using a wacom pad, for whatever thats worth. But it seems like I have had a arrow, when i go outside the image boundary and come back in, ofcourse i cant do it now. I think I have also had a square.If I figure it out ill let you know.
N
nvslater
Oct 20, 2003
If while outside the image boarder, you left click,the cursor will change to an arrow. The trick would be to have the arrow all time.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Oct 20, 2003
Yes, what you’ve observed is that the cursor is context-sensitive, and when outside the image it does just revert to a basic arrow pointer. Inside the image it takes on the editing-oriented appearance. Sorry I wasn’t clear about that earlier.

Daryl
N
nvslater
Oct 20, 2003
But once back inside the boundary, the cursor remains an arrow, until the cut is complete. If only I could get the arrow before having to leave the image. And what about the little square box, can i keep that as a cursor?
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Oct 20, 2003
I was puzzled as to what you were referring to with the "little square box", but I think I see what it is…Once you have defined the area to be selected, yes, moving your cursor outside the image window does give the arrowhead. Now, whether you move the cursor from outside the image window or anywhere else to WITHIN the selected area, you will get the arrowhead/square combination cursor icon. That is the icon used when repositioning your selection marquee. Again, I’m afraid you’re stuck with what is offered.
N
nvslater
Oct 21, 2003
I can cut with the magetic lasso, using an arrow so long as I start in the image (in an area that is no longer needed ), go outside, left click, then return inside to make the cut. But there could be an easier way.
Have not figured out how I got the square, but it too is a cutting cursor and easier than the default.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections