B
Posted By
barrygrahamTHECRAP
Nov 24, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hope you can give me some help with this.

Up until today if i viewed a picture on screen in "print size" the on screen dimensions matched the printed picture.
All of a sudden for some reason this has now changed. If i open a new document of 10 x 10cm it actually only measures 8x8cm on screen, same for my saved pics, they print out fine but on screen they are all coming up smaller.
The screen rulers are showing the correct dimensions but everything seems to have shrunk slightly.

I havent changed anything and my screen res is 1152 x 864. Any ideas what has happened or how to sort it out greatly appreciated

TIA

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JC
J C
Nov 25, 2003
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 21:23:38 -0000, "Dr. Hackenbush" wrote:

Up until today if i viewed a picture on screen in "print size" the on screen dimensions matched the printed picture.
All of a sudden for some reason this has now changed. If i open a new document of 10 x 10cm it actually only measures 8x8cm on screen, same for my saved pics, they print out fine but on screen they are all coming up smaller.
The screen rulers are showing the correct dimensions but everything seems to have shrunk slightly.

I havent changed anything and my screen res is 1152 x 864. Any ideas what has happened or how to sort it out greatly appreciated
TIA

First, never put an actual ruler against the screen. That’s an exercise in utter futility. Only go by the rulers in the program (and to really confound you, consider that if you view on a large screen at high resolution and if you have adjusted your monitor so that the image fills all the available space, then one inch vertically will not equal one inch horizontally… try it and you’ll see).

Second, from your description above, what you’ve got sounds impossible.

If you’ve not changed ANYTHING, then nothing should change, so you must have changed something. Perhaps the zoom factor on your images?

— JC
B
barrygrahamTHECRAP
Nov 25, 2003
Hi JC,
As you say, using a ruler against the screen is a waste of time, but i only do it to get a rough idea not a a precise guide. The strange thing is that Corel Draw is still fine, WYSIWYG. For the life of me i dont recall changing anything in PS so I havent got a clue what is going on. Its affected every graphic I have so it must be a global thing, and there is not much in PS to change settings wise

"J C" wrote in message

All of a sudden for some reason this has now changed. If i open a new document of 10 x 10cm it actually only measures 8x8cm on screen, same
for
my saved pics, they print out fine but on screen they are all coming up smaller.
The screen rulers are showing the correct dimensions but everything seems
to
have shrunk slightly.

TIA

First, never put an actual ruler against the screen. That’s an exercise in utter futility. Only go by the rulers in the program (and to really confound you, consider that if you view on a large screen at high resolution and if you have adjusted your monitor so that the image fills all the available space, then one inch vertically will not equal one inch horizontally… try it and you’ll see).

If you’ve not changed ANYTHING, then nothing should change, so you must have changed something. Perhaps the zoom factor on your images?

— JC
W
wes
Nov 25, 2003
I think it might be due to how many PPI you have the image resolution set at. For instance, I have my screen set at 1280X1024 pixels. If I take a ruler and measure across the monitor screen, I get 14.125 inches. If I then divide 1280 by 14.125, I get 90.6194 which I round off to 91. If I then open a new image at 5X7 inches and set the resolution to 91 the ruler measurements will be exact, if the image is at 100%. I don’t know if this is clear or not but a try at explanation.

"J C" wrote in message

All of a sudden for some reason this has now changed. If i open a new document of 10 x 10cm it actually only measures 8x8cm on screen, same
for
my saved pics, they print out fine but on screen they are all coming up smaller.
The screen rulers are showing the correct dimensions but everything seems
to
have shrunk slightly.

TIA

— JC
B
barrygrahamTHECRAP
Nov 26, 2003
It makes perfect sense, I think that this is whats gone wrong with my setup. I need to sort out my screen res

Thanx for your help.

"wnor" wrote in message
I think it might be due to how many PPI you have the image resolution set at. For instance, I have my screen set at 1280X1024 pixels. If I take a ruler and measure across the monitor screen, I get 14.125 inches. If I
then
divide 1280 by 14.125, I get 90.6194 which I round off to 91. If I then
open
a new image at 5X7 inches and set the resolution to 91 the ruler measurements will be exact, if the image is at 100%. I don’t know if this
is
clear or not but a try at explanation.

"J C" wrote in message

for
The screen rulers are showing the correct dimensions but everything
seems
to
have shrunk slightly.

TIA

— JC

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections