How does one change the transparency of pixels?

W
Posted By
winhag
Jul 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Folks,

I have what should be a basic Photoshop (CS) question.
If I have pixels which have some transparency to them (I am talking about pixels not a layer mask), how do I change that transparency without having to repaint the pixels?

My question comes from having a situation where anti-aliasing has caused some pixles to become partially transparent (or less then 100% opacity). But I want to make them completely opaque again without the tedium and difficulty of repainting them.

Any ideas?

W

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

T
tacitr
Jul 20, 2004
If I have pixels which have some transparency to them (I am talking about pixels not a layer mask), how do I change that transparency without having to repaint the pixels?

If the transparency is part of the pixel–that is, not part of a layer mask–you can’t.

If you start working with layer masks–for example, filling a layer with color, then drawing in a layer mask to "erase" part of the layer–you won’t find yourself dealing with this problem.

Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
D
dplank
Jul 20, 2004
You can also try this.

Select the magic wand tool.

In the info bar beneath the menu bar there is a check box for antialiasing. Turn it off.

Now. click on the pained area. You may have to change the latitude to get the area you want. 0 will select only pixels that have same value. As you increase the number, the selection will grow.

Once you have made your selection, go to the menu and Select>Inverse

Now hit the delete key. What you end up with should be a ragged
i.e. non antialiased area.

dp

Tacit wrote:

If the transparency is part of the pixel–that is, not part of a layer mask–you can’t.

If you start working with layer masks–for example, filling a layer with color, then drawing in a layer mask to "erase" part of the layer–you won’t find yourself dealing with this problem.
NE
no_email
Jul 20, 2004
On 20 Jul 2004 08:17:26 -0700, (WD) wrote:

Folks,

My question comes from having a situation where anti-aliasing has caused some pixles to become partially transparent (or less then 100% opacity). But I want to make them completely opaque again without the tedium and difficulty of repainting them.

Any ideas?

W
Threshold is not working for that?
W
winhag
Jul 21, 2004
Thanks all!!

I basically used dp’s suggestion. Also unchecked contiguous. I created a selection of the area then on a new layer filled it with a solid color.
I was luck in the fact that in this case all the pixes were of the same
color just with varying opacity/transparency.

I am surprised that Photoshop does not have a more direct way to deal with this, perhaps a ‘pixel transparency eraser’. Seems like this should just be a
fourth color value, e.g. R,G,B,T where T is transparency. Of course there could always be some obscure direct way to do it…after all
this is Photoshop. 🙂

W

"D.Plank" …
You can also try this.

Select the magic wand tool.

In the info bar beneath the menu bar there is a check box for antialiasing. Turn it off.

Now. click on the pained area. You may have to change the latitude to get the area you want. 0 will select only pixels that have same value. As you increase the number, the selection will grow.
Once you have made your selection, go to the menu and Select>Inverse
Now hit the delete key. What you end up with should be a ragged
i.e. non antialiased area.

dp

Tacit wrote:

NE
no_email
Jul 21, 2004
On 20 Jul 2004 20:33:48 -0700, (WD) wrote:

Thanks all!!

I basically used dp’s suggestion. Also unchecked contiguous. I created a selection of the area then on a new layer filled it with a solid color.

I am surprised that Photoshop does not have a more direct way to deal with this, perhaps a ‘pixel transparency eraser’. Seems like this should just be a
fourth color value, e.g. R,G,B,T where T is transparency. Of course there could always be some obscure direct way to do it…after all
this is Photoshop. 🙂

W

Odd, I thought threshold would do what you wanted.
W
winhag
Jul 22, 2004
I tried threshold, it did not work. It seems to work in a mode that is unaware of a pixel’s transparency.

(ZONED!) wrote in message news:…
On 20 Jul 2004 20:33:48 -0700, (WD) wrote:

Thanks all!!

this is Photoshop. 🙂

W

Odd, I thought threshold would do what you wanted.
PW
Pjotr Wedersteers
Jul 22, 2004
WD wrote:
Folks,

Any ideas?

W

Is it me or are you misusing the term transparency here ? An antialiased bit in a layer is just a set of pixels in a transition colour from one object to the next if I am correct. Has nothing to do with transparancy afaik. Nor with opacity, although with the opacity slider you can get the same end-result colour. Once you merge layers it has the same result, but as long as it’s on a separate layer the colour value of the pixel remains unchanged. when antialiasing the colours actually have changed.
Or am I lost in the woods now ?
Pjotr
W
winhag
Jul 23, 2004
"Pjotr Wedersteers" …
WD wrote:
Folks,

Any ideas?

W

Is it me or are you misusing the term transparency here ? An antialiased bit in a layer is just a set of pixels in a transition colour from one object to the next if I am correct. Has nothing to do with transparancy afaik. Nor with opacity, although with the opacity slider you can get the same end-result colour. Once you merge layers it has the same result, but as long as it’s on a separate layer the colour value of the pixel remains unchanged. when antialiasing the colours actually have changed.
Or am I lost in the woods now ?
Pjotr

In this case the anti-aliasing is done via pixel transparency. Think of black
anti-aliased lettering. The ‘anti-alias transition’ pixels have some transparency to them. The letters are black. With a white underlying layer,
the transition pixels look grey. With a purple underlying layer, the transition
pixels look pink. With a black underlying layer everything (including transition pixels) looks black. So in this case the anti-aliasing is done via pixel transparency

W
J
jenelisepasceci
Jul 23, 2004
(WD) wrote:

Folks,

Any ideas?
Select the transparency of that layer with the magic wand, set to a tolerance of zero and "Contiguous" deselected. This selects all fully transparent pixels. Invert the selection, create a new layer below the actual layer, fill this layer with white. Use the selection as a layer mask, merge the top layer down. Now all partially transparent pixels are replaced by the equivalent solid color. By using a colored layer instead of a white one, or by changing the tolerance of the magic wand to higher values, you may get a result which better suits your needs.

Peter

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections