Posted By
Sep 24, 2011
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I used to be able to get vertical bands, like in this image (not mine),

http://itsgreece.org/image.jpg

by using the Blurrr option in KPT5. However, KPT5 does not work with Photoshop CS5 and Windows 7.
Do you have any idea on how I can create vertical
bands like these? I am not trying to create the same type of affect. I need them for a variety of graphics projects.
Thank you very much.

sherman

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

S
Savageduck
Sep 24, 2011
On 2011-09-24 07:56:22 -0700, sherman said:

by using the Blurrr option in KPT5. However, KPT5 does not work with Photoshop CS5 and Windows 7.
bands like these? I am not trying to create the same type of affect. I need them for a variety of graphics projects.
Thank you very much.

sherman

Your version of KPT5 probably needs an upgrade to work in 64 bit mode. Check with their updates.

You should be able to replicate a similar effect using filters from the standard CS5 package.

So;
(It is not necessary, but converting to a "Smart Object" thereby having a "Smart Filter" at this stage would give you better options for returning to adjust to taste.)
Filter -> Blur -> Motion Blur

Set angle of motion blur to suit the image, and adjust "Distance" until the effect is as you want it. Judging for the example you are posted I would guess a setting of 200-300 pixels.

Naturally there are several ways of excluding areas you don’t want blurred.

Three of those would be to either use quick select to create a layer mask to exclude the areas you want clean, or add a layer mask filled with black, and then paint in white to reveal the effect.

….or if you have used a "Smart Filter" a layer mask is automatically applied and you can fill that with black by using Command-I (PC: Cntr-I) and then painting in white.

Regards,

Savageduck
Sep 24, 2011
On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 09:21:33 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

Thank you very much.

sherman

Your version of KPT5 probably needs an upgrade to work in 64 bit mode. Check with their updates.

You should be able to replicate a similar effect using filters from the standard CS5 package.

So;
(It is not necessary, but converting to a "Smart Object" thereby having a "Smart Filter" at this stage would give you better options for returning to adjust to taste.)

Set angle of motion blur to suit the image, and adjust "Distance" until the effect is as you want it. Judging for the example you are posted I would guess a setting of 200-300 pixels.

Three of those would be to either use quick select to create a layer mask to exclude the areas you want clean, or add a layer mask filled with black, and then paint in white to reveal the effect.
…or if you have used a "Smart Filter" a layer mask is automatically applied and you can fill that with black by using Command-I (PC: Cntr-I) and then painting in white.

Thank you very much.
I appreciate it.

sherman
S
Savageduck
Sep 24, 2011
On 2011-09-24 09:54:11 -0700, sherman said:

Thank you very much.

sherman

So;

…or if you have used a "Smart Filter" a layer mask is automatically applied and you can fill that with black by using Command-I (PC: Cntr-I) and then painting in white.

Thank you very much.
I appreciate it.

sherman

Just for the hell of it here is an example using motion blur as a "Smart Filter" compared with the original. Not the greatest use of the effect, but it does demonstrate the possibility.

< http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/MotionBlur-comp-1.jpg >

Regards,

Savageduck
C
Carrie
Sep 26, 2011
"Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

Thank you very much.

sherman

So;

Thank you very much.
I appreciate it.

sherman

Just for the hell of it here is an example using motion blur as a "Smart Filter" compared with the original. Not the greatest use of the effect, but it does demonstrate the possibility.

Regards,

Savageduck

That looks good.
My first thought about this (question) was to turn the picture sideways and use the motion blur that looks like wind. I once did a tutorial like for making a picture look like it was coating in (dripping in) ice. turn the picture sideways, use the effect, then turn it back to normal. It was too short (the lines)for what the person wanted here.
S
Savageduck
Sep 26, 2011
On 2011-09-26 06:14:37 -0700, "Carrie" said:

Thank you very much.

sherman

So;

Thank you very much.
I appreciate it.

sherman

Regards,

Savageduck

That looks good.
My first thought about this (question) was to turn the picture sideways and use the motion blur that looks like wind. I once did a tutorial like for making a picture look like it was coating in (dripping in) ice. turn the picture sideways, use the effect, then turn it back to normal. It was too short (the lines)for what the person wanted here.

What I described was relatively simple and could be refined further with the use of "Blend" modes.
Take a look at the "Motion Blur" filter. It has an adjustment for setting the direction of the effect.
The tutorial you are citing, with turning and then straightening the image demonstrates ignorance of photoshop filters on the part of the author, …or at least that particular filter. What you describe sounds very clumsy and awkward to me.

Regards,

Savageduck
C
Carrie
Sep 29, 2011
On 2011-09-26 06:14:37 -0700, "Carrie" said:

bands like these? I am not trying to create the same type of affect. I
need them for a variety of graphics projects.
Thank you very much.

sherman

You should be able to replicate a similar effect using filters from the
standard CS5 package.

So;
(It is not necessary, but converting to a "Smart Object" thereby having
a "Smart Filter" at this stage would give you better options for returning to adjust to taste.)

Set angle of motion blur to suit the image, and adjust "Distance" until
the effect is as you want it. Judging for the example you are posted I would guess a setting of 200-300 pixels.

Thank you very much.
I appreciate it.

sherman

Regards,

Savageduck

That looks good.
My first thought about this (question) was to turn the picture sideways and
use the motion blur that looks like wind. I once did a tutorial like for making a picture look like it was coating in (dripping in) ice. turn the picture sideways, use the effect, then turn it back to normal. It was too short (the lines)for what the person wanted here.

What I described was relatively simple and could be refined further with the use of "Blend" modes.
Take a look at the "Motion Blur" filter. It has an adjustment for setting the direction of the effect.
The tutorial you are citing, with turning and then straightening the image demonstrates ignorance of photoshop filters on the part of the author, …or at least that particular filter. What you describe sounds very clumsy and awkward to me.

I don’t remember where I got it, I’d put photoshop free tutorials in google and find things.
I didn’t know you could change the motion blur to vertical (up and down) and not have to put the picture sideways to put it on first. This is the picture I made that looks like ice effect. It was quite a few years ago, and might have been with PS 7 I don’t remember
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/starchild_dreams/icey_ look_8.jpg When you get free tutorials from Google, you take what you get. Some of them I’d find did seem more complicated and I’d find faster and easier ways to do the same thing.

Regards,

Savageduck

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections