Web gallery: why do vertical images convert into horizontals?

TA
Posted By
Tom_Art
May 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a recurring problem when I import photos into PS’s web gallery. It will take vertically oriented photos and make them horizontal. As I remember, this didn’t happen in the last version. Is this a bug? Any workarounds other then having to manually rotate each image of the web pages?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

TA
Tom_Art
May 19, 2004
Can anyone confirm if this is a bug?
C
Cindy
May 19, 2004
I have never had that happen. It might be the style you selected. Try changing the style to simple and see if it does the same thing.
BM
bobby_mcfall
May 21, 2004
This is happening to me when I open an image from iPhoto in PS8. Most frustrating!
CC
Chris_Cox
May 21, 2004
bobby – Photoshop only rotates images if the image is already marked to be rotated.
BM
bobby_mcfall
May 21, 2004
Hi Chris – I upload images from my Canon 10D into iPhoto. I edit the photos in Photoshop. If I’ve rotated an image in iPhoto and then open it in Photoshop, it turns another 45 degrees. What do you mean when you say a photo is "marked" to be rotated? I didn’t have this problem until I upgraded to CS – there were no problems in 7.0
R
Ram
May 21, 2004
If I’ve rotated an image in iPhoto and then open it in Photoshop, it turns another 45 degrees.

I seriously doubt that. 🙂
AW
Allen_Wicks
May 21, 2004
Yeah, 45 degrees would be quite a feat. <g>
CC
Chris_Cox
May 21, 2004
Bobby – most likely iPhoto is rotating the image but not changing the EXIF data that says the image needs to be rotated. That would be a bug in iPhoto.
TA
Tom_Art
May 24, 2004
As far as I can tell, this is a Photoshop problem. Other applications in Panther do recognize the rotated image: Preview, any browser, Photoshop 7. I imported a vertical photo into Illustrator 10 and it retained the proper orientation. For some reason, CS does not like verticals! I would hope Adobe releases an update to fix bugs like these. Until then I will use iPhoto’s web export feature–not as nice but it works the way it should.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 24, 2004
Tom – again, Photoshop only rotates the image if the image is marked to be rotated.

This is not a problem, not a bug, and thus not going to be "fixed".

What might be a problem is if some other software does the rotation and fails to change the EXIF data saying the image need to be rotated.
TA
Tom_Art
May 25, 2004
Ok, I will go bug Apple about this.
BM
bobby_mcfall
May 27, 2004
OK guys – so I’m mathematically challenged. I should have said 90 degrees. I still have the rotation problem…just worked with recent uploads to iPhoto (v.2) and opened them in PSCS – and they’re rotated from vert. to horiz. I’m going to try rotating them in the camera before uploading and see what happens then.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections