Posted By
rdoc2
Sep 26, 2010
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
CS5
I want to use Gaussian Blur to create the depth of field affect in a photo and want to know how to go about doing it. How do I increase the affect from the front of the photo to the rear of the photo like it would be if it was done by the camera? If someone can explain this to me or even if someone can tell me if there is a tutorial on it somewhere that would be a great help. Thanks

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

J
jjs
Sep 26, 2010
In article
RDOC wrote:

CS5
I want to use Gaussian Blur to create the depth of field affect in a photo and want to know how to go about doing it. How do I increase the affect from the front of the photo to the rear of the photo like it would be if it was done by the camera? If someone can explain this to me or even if someone can tell me if there is a tutorial on it somewhere that would be a great help. Thanks

You have already got a good answer. If I may, let me suggest that persons who wish to to the same learn how to use a camera!

Silly me.
N
nomail
Sep 26, 2010
RDOC wrote:
CS5

Use ‘Lens Blur’ for this. You need to make alpha channel with a gradient for the effect. See Photoshop Help menu as well.

Johan W. Elzenga, Editor/Photographer, www.johanfoto.com
AS
Anton Shepelev
Oct 4, 2010
RDOC:

I want to use Gaussian Blur to create the depth of
field affect in a photo and want to know how to go
about doing it.

Images are flat in the sense that they do not
explicitly contain information about depth. There-
fore, in order to implement the depth of field
effect you will need to obtain/extract/generate a
depth-map that would define the object-lens distance
for each pixel. Given the emulated lens’s focus dis-
tance, aperture and focus setting, you can then emu-
late this effect by blurring the image according to
the formulas outlined here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field
#Derivation_of_the_DOF_formulas

where the "circle of diffustion" is directly propor- tional to the radius setting of the blurring filter,
but you will also have to know/define your image’s
dpi in order to convert between the radius in pixels
and that in real length units.

Anton
PU
Photoshop User
Nov 12, 2010
"RDOC" wrote in message
CS5

I know this answer is late- but I just caught up on some old messages now– see you have got the usual snotty & overly tech advice or the advice of the ignorant one who thinks he knows all

duplicate your image on a new layer
blur the layer using Gaussian filter
make a mask on that layer- (click little circle in rectangle icon at layer palette bottom)
then highlight the thumbnail of the mask (not the image) set your color palette to default
use "black to transparent" gradient on the mask – start where you want most focus and end where you think it should be blurred, as if it was depth of field

very simple
works I used it many times

depth maps are not for that

— —

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections