E
Posted By
ebloch
Feb 4, 2010
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just found a free command line program that has value for organizing pictures and other chores.

Look at http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/ for this very flexible tool.

I had some questions for the author and he responded to my email, with answers, within a few hours.

This batch file will take photo files in a folder and copy all of them to new folders titled by the date the picture was taken (all are single line remarks and commands)
: Make Desktop folder "1" with folder "2" inside it. : Copy photos from camera into "2"
: Run this Batch
: Result is New folders "YYYY-MM-DD" inside "1" with originals still in "2"
Set Tool="C:\Program Files\exiftool-8.09\exiftool(-k).exe" Set Base=C:\Users\Eric\Desktop\1
Start "" /wait %Tool% -o dummy/ -d "%Base%\%%Y-%%m-%%d" "-Directory<DateTimeOriginal" "%Base%\2"

Eric

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

E
ebloch
Feb 5, 2010
On 2/3/2010 8:55 PM, Zaidy036 wrote:
I just found a free command line program that has value for organizing pictures and other chores.

Look at http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/ for this very flexible tool.

I had some questions for the author and he responded to my email, with answers, within a few hours.

This batch file will take photo files in a folder and copy all of them to new folders titled by the date the picture was taken (all are single line remarks and commands)
: Make Desktop folder "1" with folder "2" inside it. : Copy photos from camera into "2"
: Run this Batch
: Result is New folders "YYYY-MM-DD" inside "1" with originals still in "2"
Set Tool="C:\Program Files\exiftool-8.09\exiftool(-k).exe" Set Base=C:\Users\Eric\Desktop\1
Start "" /wait %Tool% -o dummy/ -d "%Base%\%%Y-%%m-%%d" "-Directory<DateTimeOriginal" "%Base%\2"
Eric
Here is an easier batch to use. Just drop a folder containing photos onto it and the batch will add folders named for the date the pictures were taken into the original folder.

@Echo off
Setlocal
If "%~1" EQU "" (Set Base=C:\Users\Eric\Desktop\1) ELSE (Set Base=%~1) Set Tool="C:\Program Files\exiftool-8.09\exiftool(-k).exe" Start "" /wait %Tool% -o dummy/ -d "%Base%\%%Y-%%m-%%d" "-Directory<DateTimeOriginal" "%Base%" Exit
E
ebloch
Feb 5, 2010
On 2/5/2010 4:36 PM, Zaidy036 wrote:

<snip>

Just modified the batch for running without dropping a photo folder:

@Echo off
Setlocal
If "%~1" EQU "" (Goto Skip) ELSE (Set Base=%~1) Set Tool="C:\Program Files\exiftool-8.09\exiftool(-k).exe" Start "" /wait %Tool% -o dummy/ -d "%Base%\%%Y-%%m-%%d" "-Directory<DateTimeOriginal" "%Base%" Exit

:Skip
Echo.
Echo *** No Data Supplied – Drop a Photo Folder on the Batch *** Echo.
pause
Exit

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections