Alan_Nagle
Oct 1, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,
I’m using PS7.01.
When I open RAW files from my Canon 1Ds, the EXIF data is there and visible both in the browser and when the image is open under File Info.

The problem comes when I try and then save the file in any other format than .tiff or .psd, unless I save in one of these formats, the EXIF information dissapears!

Any ideas anyone?

TIA

Alan.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 1, 2003
EXIF is only supported in Camera RAW, PSD, TIFF, and JPEG files.
AN
Alan_Nagle
Oct 1, 2003
Yes, my point was that if I save to JPEG (which is exactly what I want to do) the EXIF information is lost.

Alan.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 2, 2003
Alan – no, if you save to JPEG in Photoshop, the EXIF data is preserved. If you save to JPEG in ImageReady or SaveForWeb, the EXIF data is removed, along with all other metadata (of course).
AN
Alan_Nagle
Oct 2, 2003
Ah…it must be because I am using "Save for Web"…thanks Chris!

Alan.
AA
Ali_Arman
Nov 5, 2003
Even if you save it normally, i.e. Save As, PS definately does something to the location of the data in file. Other programs that were able to read/display it, can no longer show it. The entire EXIF data is replaced with a four line info on file size, color space, etc. This is true for both PS7 and CS.
GC
Gary_Coombs
Nov 5, 2003
Comments: Photoshop CS’s Camera RAW & EXIF problem
Just gotten an explanation on why this is happening some 3 hours from Adobe’s Thomas Knoll on this:

Photoshop CS’s metadata logic is based on XMP. ACR 2.0 transfers the exif data directly to Photoshop CS via XMP.

You need to view the resulting images in an XMP aware viewer to see the EXIF data inside the XMP data block.

So the EXIF data is there, not just in a form that older programs can see until they are updated to support XMP based metadata
AA
Ali_Arman
Nov 5, 2003
I got the same explanation, but this is for CS. How about the PS7? It does the same exact thing, and AFAIK PS7 does not use XMP.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections