Posted By
rdoc2
Jan 28, 2010
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Windows XP
Is there a way to get Windows Fax and Picture Viewer to have an area at the bottom of its window that shows all of the photos in a folder, like we have in Photoshop’s Bridge, in the film strip window? I was at a photo group meeting and I saw it on a computer and don’t know if it was in Windows Fax and Picture Viewer or an update or add on to it or even a replacement program. Can anyone help me with this question?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

J
jaSPAMc
Jan 28, 2010
RDOC found these unused words:

Windows XP
Is there a way to get Windows Fax and Picture Viewer to have an area at the bottom of its window that shows all of the photos in a folder, like we have in Photoshop’s Bridge, in the film strip window? I was at a photo group meeting and I saw it on a computer and don’t know if it was in Windows Fax and Picture Viewer or an update or add on to it or even a replacement program. Can anyone help me with this question?

Have you tried one of the many MS specific newsgroups?
R
rdoc2
Jan 28, 2010
On Jan 28, 1:06 pm, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

Windows XP

Have you tried one of the many MS specific newsgroups?

No I haven’t do you have a suggestion of one since I am not familiar with them.
JS
John Stafford
Jan 28, 2010
Windows XP
Is there a way to get Windows Fax and Picture Viewer to have an area at the bottom of its window that shows all of the photos in a folder, like we have in Photoshop’s Bridge, in the film strip window?

Open the folder of pictures.

In the Views menu in the top menu bar (last one on right), choose "Filmstrip". That’s as close as you are going to get to what you want with just the OS.
R
rdoc2
Jan 29, 2010
On Jan 28, 4:54 pm, John Stafford wrote:

Windows XP
Is there a way to get Windows Fax and Picture Viewer to have an area at the bottom of its window that shows all of the photos in a folder, like we have in Photoshop’s Bridge, in the film strip window?

In the Views menu in the top menu bar (last one on right), choose "Filmstrip". That’s as close as you are going to get to what you want with just the OS.

Thanks John, the closest there is thumbnails.
J
jjs
Jan 29, 2010
In article
RDOC wrote:

Windows XP

That’s strange. On my PC under XP there is a Filmstrip option. Now we should find out what’s wrong with your version.
J
JD
Jan 29, 2010
RDOC wrote:

Windows XP

Have you taken any Windows updates lately? It seems one of those added the filmstrip option.

JD..
R
rdoc2
Jan 29, 2010
On Jan 29, 8:59 am, JD wrote:
RDOC wrote:

Windows XP

Have you taken any Windows updates lately? It seems one of those added the filmstrip option.

JD..

I am using Windows XP SP2.
JS
John Stafford
Jan 29, 2010
In article
RDOC wrote:

RDOC wrote:

JD..

Create a new, empty folder.
Copy a picture into it.
Close the folder

Now when you open it, the Filmstrip option should show up.
J
JD
Jan 29, 2010
RDOC wrote:
RDOC wrote:

Windows XP

JD..

Any reason you haven’t installed SP3? It’s been available for a long time. There was some problem with certain AMD processors on store bought machines or something like that but my box is a custom build.

Also, I didn’t notice the filmstrip option until I took some weekly updates about two weeks ago. I’m not saying it wasn’t there before but I didn’t notice it until someone mentioned it.

JD..
TC
tony cooper
Jan 30, 2010
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 20:16:50 -0800 (PST), RDOC
wrote:

Windows XP

Can’t help you with that because I don’t use the F&PV. I use the FastStone Image Viewer. It shows thumbnails, but you can change the size of the thumbnails, expand the image to full screen, use the tag function to sort, set it to open files in any editing program, shows Exif data, rename and number files, move and copy files, and has some editing ability. Best viewer I’ve ever worked with, and it’s free at:

http://www.faststone.org/

Tony Cooper – Orlando, Florida
R
rdoc2
Jan 30, 2010
On Jan 30, 12:01 am, tony cooper wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 20:16:50 -0800 (PST), RDOC
wrote:

Windows XP

Can’t help you with that because I don’t use the F&PV. I use the FastStone Image Viewer. It shows thumbnails, but you can change the size of the thumbnails, expand the image to full screen, use the tag function to sort, set it to open files in any editing program, shows Exif data, rename and number files, move and copy files, and has some editing ability. Best viewer I’ve ever worked with, and it’s free at:
http://www.faststone.org/

Tony Cooper – Orlando, Florida

Thanks Tony.
R
rdoc2
Jan 30, 2010
On Jan 29, 1:06 pm, John Stafford wrote:
In article

RDOC wrote:
RDOC wrote:

JD..

Copy a picture into it.
Close the folder

JD I am going to update to SP3 and see if the film strip option is in my update. I’ll let you know, thanks.
R
rdoc2
Jan 30, 2010
On Jan 30, 12:54 am, RDOC wrote:

In article

RDOC wrote:
RDOC wrote:

JD..

Copy a picture into it.
Close the folder

JD I am going to update to SP3 and see if the film strip option is in my update. I’ll let you know, thanks.

I updated to SP3 and there isn’t an option there for filmstrip as I said before the closest item is thumbnails.
J
JD
Jan 31, 2010
RDOC wrote:

In article

RDOC wrote:
RDOC wrote:

JD..

Copy a picture into it.
Close the folder

I updated to SP3 and there isn’t an option there for filmstrip as I said before the closest item is thumbnails.

Not a bad thing to go to SP3. What I took was a bunch of Windows updates. Are you current with those?

JD..
J
jjs
Jan 31, 2010
In article
RDOC wrote:

In article

RDOC wrote:
RDOC wrote:

JD..

Copy a picture into it.
Close the folder

Let’s take it from the top. First, go to your My Pictures folder. Make sure there are more picture files than other files.

If you had to add pictures to make this so, then leave the folder and go back into it.

Is the Filmstrip option there now?
MR
Mike Russell
Jan 31, 2010
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 18:42:59 -0600, JD wrote:

Right click on the folder, select Properties, and click on the Customize tab. Then choose either Pictures or Photo Album, and you’ll be able to select filmstrip as a folder view option.

Mike Russell – http://www.curvemeister.com
R
rdoc2
Jan 31, 2010
On Jan 30, 7:42 pm, JD wrote:
RDOC wrote:

In article

RDOC wrote:
RDOC wrote:

JD..

Copy a picture into it.
Close the folder

Not a bad thing to go to SP3. What I took was a bunch of Windows updates. Are you current with those?

JD..

Yes
J
JD
Jan 31, 2010
Mike Russell wrote:

Right click on the folder, select Properties, and click on the Customize tab. Then choose either Pictures or Photo Album, and you’ll be able to select filmstrip as a folder view option.

Out of curiosity, how long has this been an option in XP? I don’t recall seeing this option when I started using XP. It seems like some Windows update added this function. Am I dreaming? Has the filmstrip option always been there?

JD..
R
rdoc2
Jan 31, 2010
On Jan 30, 8:28 pm, Mike Russell
wrote:

Mike Russell -http://www.curvemeister.com
Mike you got it right, that is how you get the film strip, thanks. I have also been told that if you install Microsoft Office 2003 or later it is in the Windows Fax and Picture Viewer. I haven’t seen or tried that. Thanks again to all for the info and help, it is appreciated.
J
JD
Jan 31, 2010
RDOC wrote:
On Jan 30, 8:28 pm, Mike Russell
wrote:

Mike Russell -http://www.curvemeister.com
Mike you got it right, that is how you get the film strip, thanks. I have also been told that if you install Microsoft Office 2003 or later it is in the Windows Fax and Picture Viewer. I haven’t seen or tried that. Thanks again to all for the info and help, it is appreciated.

Thanks for reporting back. I’ll add the solution to my notes. And those Windows updates and SP3 certainly didn’t hurt anything. 😎

JD..
R
Ragnar
Jan 31, 2010
"RDOC" wrote in message

Windows XP

1. Select "View" – "Customize This Folder".
2. The folder properties multi-tabbed dialog box will appear. Underneath
"Use this folder type as a template" choose "Pictures" or "Photo Album" as
desired.
3. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.
The "View" – "Filmstrip" option should now be available.

Filmstrip view should now be an option on all folders with pictures in them

HTH
R.
J
JD
Jan 31, 2010
Ragnar wrote:
"RDOC" wrote in message

Windows XP

desired.
HTH
R.

Out of curiosity, how long has this been an option in XP?

JD..
J
JD
Jan 31, 2010
JD wrote:
Mike Russell wrote:

Out of curiosity, how long has this been an option in XP? I don’t recall seeing this option when I started using XP. It seems like some Windows update added this function. Am I dreaming? Has the filmstrip option always been there?

To answer my own question, it’s been there all along?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299542

JD..
J
JD
Jan 31, 2010
JD wrote:
Ragnar wrote:
"RDOC" wrote in message

Windows XP

desired.

HTH
R.

Out of curiosity, how long has this been an option in XP?

To answer my own question, it’s been there all along?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299542

JD..

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections